Thread: Silent Invisible Santa Claus This Year?

Silent Invisible Santa Claus This Year?

As a scientist one still has to explain to kids/ grandkids the mystery of Santa Claus, and his ability to work so silently and seemingly invisibly throughout the night. These guys have figured it out, and it should be available on Ebay before long....double cloaking....both an invisibility cloak, and an acoustic cloak...or either separately...deaf mode...blind mode. pretty slick. SEE: https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1911/1911.13206.pdf

pete
    Last edited by trinitree88; 2019-Dec-02 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo

Santa's sleigh is a time machine so he can travel back in time after delivering toys to a few houses. He's also immortal and doesn't age so he can spend years of subjective time doing this. His elves hack into bank computers and make it look like parents bought the toys, and Santa's also good at forgery and hypnosis so no one ever denies buying that stuff.

Gad. I thought it was impossible to make the concept of Santa Claus even more terrifying than it already is, but you two managed it.
    (I was thinking about this the other day, and realized that it's perhaps just as well I don't have children, because I actually could not bring myself to trick a child into believing in Santa Claus.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Gad. I thought it was impossible to make the concept of Santa Claus even more terrifying than it already is, but you two managed it.
    He sees you when you're sleeping
    He knows when you're awake
    He knows if you've been bad or good
    So be good for goodness sake!

At least until we can get the restraining order.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

If I had kids I think I'd tell them the truth at first if just to make my future simpler.

But I think this thread is supposed to be more about invisibility than about Santa and kids.

Western American Culture (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    He sees you when you're sleeping
    He knows when you're awake
    He knows if you've been bad or good
    So be good for goodness sake!

At least until we can get the restraining order.
    It is interesting the God-like powers we attribute to Santa Clause. Not to mention the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, the Bogeyman, and assorted Halloween nonsense.

I don't think it's going to go away anytime soon.

Interesting and useful conjecture. While obviously Mr. Claus keeps his secrets very well and we mundane folks will likely never know all of his techniques, I do enjoy the yearly speculations by scientists about how some of them might work.

One thing I think may reduce his workload considerably that few of these articles consider is that he may not really visit every household in every country, but instead have many allies in the form of local gift-bringers such as La Befana, St. Lucia, the Yule Goat, and Grandfather Frost, some of whom even bring their gifts on days other than Christmas.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    One thing I think may reduce his workload considerably that few of these articles consider is that he may not really visit every household in every country, but instead have many allies in the form of local gift-bringers such as La Befana, St. Lucia, the Yule Goat, and Grandfather Frost, some of whom even bring their gifts on days other than Christmas.
    Two other things that reduce his workload as well, is that not all families are Christian, and don't necessarily celebrate Christmas, and in addition, that some children have been naughty (in fact I think quite a number of them must have been, judging from my own experience as a child, so I think that Santa must be quite forgiving).
    As above, so below