Thread: Did this motorcycle crash?

Did this motorcycle crash?

I came across this photo of a BMW Autonomous R 1200 GS motorcycle.
    Did this motorcycle crash?
    To me, it looks impossible not to unless it is at a low speed and about to rapidly accelerate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BMW-Autonomous-R1200GS.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	24723
    Last edited by ggchuck; 2019-Dec-05 at 06:49 AM. Reason: typo
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Chuck

I would say it's hard to tell unless you know how fast it is going. I would assume the opposite, that it is in a normal turn. So no, I don't think it's about to crash.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    ...know how fast it is going.
    Other than the photo, I don't have a clue to its speed.
    I couldn't see a kickstand or support, so I assume the bike is not stationary.
    It is leaning far enough where it will fall if the speed is slow (about 5 mph).
    The front wheel looks to be 20 or 30 degrees off-center in the direction of the turn--far enough to tumble a bike at any appreciable speed, unless in a skid.
    It the bike is skidding, the wheel should be tilted away from the direction of the turn.
    If the bike is not skidding, the wheel should be barely off-center and also away from the turn.
    That is why I'm curious about the photo.
    Last edited by ggchuck; 2019-Dec-05 at 06:37 AM. Reason: clarity
    Chuck

Since its rider has already bailed out, I'll guess a crash really soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ggchuck View Post
    I couldn't see a kickstand or support, so I assume the bike is not stationary.
    It isn't.. it can ride by itself, somewhat. Just put the bike name in Youtube and you'll see some clips of it riding with and without a person on it. (Or maybe those clips are faked, I'm not into motorcycles at all.)

Did you have a reason to post this in Fun&Games? If not we can easily move it to the Babbling forum for you.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    ...Youtube and you'll see some clips of it riding...
    It looks like Jens had it right from the start. It's normal. I should have checked for a clip. The photo looked odd from the camera angle and the fact that it didn't have a rider played tricks with my mind. Generally, one countersteers at normal speeds and in events like flat track, countersteering is exaggerated. But a low speeds, steering in the direction of the wheel is normal as shown in the parking lot photo (and Youtube videos).

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Did you have a reason to post this in Fun&Games? If not we can easily move it to the Babbling forum for you.
    No reason other than it puzzled me. I got my answer, so you can move it or delete it at your discretion.
    Chuck