Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: United States Space Force and United States Space Command: what can they do?

WAR IN SPACE (Bowen) is the title of a new book Foust talks about over at www.thespacereview.com

And it sounds like Space Force will have spacecraft, both small mini-stations & labs in cislunar space and crew vehicles. Sierra Nevada Corp got the a contract to adapt their Shooting Star cargo module from Dream Chaser for the labs & mini-station.

https://spacenews.com/more-than-1000...o-space-force/

More than 1,000 Air Force cyber security operators to transfer to Space Force

WASHINGTON — As many as 1,000 enlisted personnel and 130 officers currently in Air Force cyber security jobs will be asked to join the U.S. Space Force, a senior official said Oct. 8.

The selected airmen from cyber security career fields also have expertise in space programs and could be transferring to the Space Force in fiscal year 2021, said Maj. Gen. Kimberly Crider, Space Force chief technology and innovation officer.

The officers and enlisted personnel were hand picked to join the Space Force as the service experiences a growing demand for cyber security talent, Crider said Oct. 8 at the CyberSatGov virtual conference.
    >

I thought this was interesting-

Michael Hopkins, commander of the SpaceX Crew-1 mission, will be sworn in to the Space Force on the ISS, so will be the first Space Force astronaut in space and will be the first sworn in while in space. Here’s the link:

https://spacenews.com/nasas-crew-1-c...space-station/

I’m a little surprised - I thought the civilian/military division was a bit stronger than that. I knew that a number of astronauts came from military backgrounds but I didn’t realize currently active military officers flew for NASA. As a practical matter I doubt Space Force officers will be going into space for military purposes for decades - not many things they can do that robot spacecraft can’t do better.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I wonder if there are fewer test pilots in this fly-by-wire era than before. That may explain active duty astronauts.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    I wonder if there are fewer test pilots in this fly-by-wire era than before. That may explain active duty astronauts.
    Why? The days when test pilots made up the bulk of the astronaut community are surely long gone. These days I would imagine there's far more emphasis on other areas of expertise and I'm not sure there's any advantage in fast jet experience. Indeed I'm not sure there ever really was, it was mostly a political choice, which also back in the 60's it made a great excuse to exclude women from the early NASA programs.

Submariners would be a better choice, but Dream Chaser will need a pilot

In addition to the below, the DoD is getting serious about nuclear thermal propulsion (NTP) and nuclear electric propulsion (NEP).

CHPS: Cislunar Highway Patrol System
    ​​​​​​​
    https://spacenews.com/moon-patrols-c...-u-s-military/

Moon patrols could be a future reality for the U.S. military

U.S. military space activities today are confined to Earth orbit. That could change in the coming years as NASA begins to establish a permanent presence at the moon and works with the private sector to develop a cislunar economy. The military foresees playing a role protecting those interests if they were challenged by a foreign power.

The Space Force echoes that thinking in a doctrine document published in August, which says the service must prepare for a future when the moon and the volume of space around it could become the next military frontier.
    >
    A key development last month was the announcement by the Air Force Research Laboratory’s Space Vehicles Directorate that it will embark on an experiment to investigate technologies to monitor cislunar space.

“It’s a brave new world for the DoD to embark on,” said Capt. David Buehler, manager of the AFRL experiment named CHPS, for Cislunar Highway Patrol System.

The U.S. Space Force is contemplating a time when its responsibilities could extend beyond geostationary Earth orbit, Buehler told SpaceNews.

“If we’re going to protect and defend, the Space Force is going to need to understand the environment, have space domain awareness capabilities to be able to know where everything is out there,” Buehler said.
    >
    A recent cooperative agreement signed by the U.S. Space Force and NASA lays the groundwork for future collaboration on cislunar space surveillance.
    >

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    <snip>
    I’m a little surprised - I thought the civilian/military division was a bit stronger than that. I knew that a number of astronauts came from military backgrounds but I didn’t realize currently active military officers flew for NASA. As a practical matter I doubt Space Force officers will be going into space for military purposes for decades - not many things they can do that robot spacecraft can’t do better.
    I always assumed that the classified Shuttle missions (LIST) had active military running the missions.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Will the new home of the US Space Command be near your home? Check the list: "The six finalists are Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado; Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico; Patrick Air Force Base, Florida; Redstone Army Airfield, Alabama; Joint Base San Antonio, Texas; and Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska."

https://spacenews.com/air-force-reve...-headquarters/
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Most likely, the space forces were created only for the sake of Trump's election campaign. Today, given the development of the space industry, it is not at all relevant to create space troops. If it is necessary to attack enemy satellites, then missiles can do it. And so far, no one has seen the spaceships that soldiers are supposed to serve. At least I haven't seen them, have you?
    From a different perspective, technology is evolving and the space industry is getting larger every year. Everyone understands that the future belongs to space. Over time, when rockets will be less expensive and it will not be so difficult to build bases on space objects, then I think it will be possible to create space forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hags View Post
    Most likely, the space forces were created only for the sake of Trump's election campaign. Today, given the development of the space industry, it is not at all relevant to create space troops.
    >
    This wasn't a Trump idea. The creation of a Space Force has been debated in the US Govt. for decades, more an issue of "When?" not "If," and when it was created both Democrats and Republicans supported it. With Russia and China not only creating space force-style branches but flying spacecraft which could threaten US and commercial geostationary and other satellites, the time has come.

Second, space troops aren't part of the deal - at least not yet.

If space troopers come it'll be vehicles delivering rapid strike forces using suborbital transports. DoD itself started this conversation when they saw SpaceX's Starship point to point transportation proposal, meeting with Musk in Colorado Springs ~2 years ago. Starship as we know it may not be the delivery vehicle DoD needs, but the techs used could be leveraged for point to point logistics and troop transports.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hags View Post
    Today, given the development of the space industry, it is not at all relevant to create space troops. If it is necessary to attack enemy satellites, then missiles can do it. And so far, no one has seen the spaceships that soldiers are supposed to serve. At least I haven't seen them, have you?
    A Space Force need not launch "space troops" anymore than a Navy needs soldiers to march on water.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    Why? The days when test pilots made up the bulk of the astronaut community are surely long gone. These days I would imagine there's far more emphasis on other areas of expertise and I'm not sure there's any advantage in fast jet experience. Indeed I'm not sure there ever really was, it was mostly a political choice, which also back in the 60's it made a great excuse to exclude women from the early NASA programs.
    Fast jet experience in itself cannot be translated to spaceflight (ok, perhaps it helps with manually sailing the STS Orbiter back to the landing strip). But lots of other traits of the best test pilots were exactly what was needed for early spaceflight. How to deal with stressful situations, how to deal with what the craft does instead of what the craft is supposed to be doing...Armstrong could calmly fly back and land a jet fighter with a missing tail in war; he could calmly land an X15 that was way off its flight path and calmly land a Lunar Lander with a nasty alarm and seconds of fuel left.

Interesting in this is Chuck Yeager. From what I've read about him, his main trait was being an excellent natural flyer. When it was no longer about flying though, he didn't have what some other test pilots had. That became evident when flying the RCS Starfighter. Yeager had the right stuff for wings and wind, not as much for other tasks.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

USSF is investigating the use of space tugs, space manufacturing satellites, more emerging technologies.

https://spacenews.com/traditional-la...e-space-force/

General Raymond said he is pushing the US Space Force to become more creative, innovative, and less fearful of taking risks with new technology.

https://spacenews.com/space-force-pl...tions-command/

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    In addition to the below, the DoD is getting serious about nuclear thermal propulsion (NTP) and nuclear electric propulsion (NEP).

CHPS: Cislunar Highway Patrol System
    ​​​​​​​
    Can I be Ponch?

A short but detailed history of the 1-year-old US Space Force.

https://www.airspacemag.com/military...one-180976342/

Space Force declares anti-spoofing GPS signal operational.

A limited version of a new, more secure military GPS signal is available, after the U.S. Space Force recently declared a necessary upgrade to the ground system operational. More accurate than the civilian signal, the encrypted M-Code programming language provides advanced anti-spoofing and anti-jamming capabilities designed to provide positioning, navigation and timing data even when adversaries are trying to block or degrade the signal.

https://www.c4isrnet.com/battlefield...d-operational/

Space Force opens SpaceWERX technology accelerator in Los Angeles

QUOTE: Will Roper, assistant secretary of the Air Force for acquisition, technology and logistics, announced Dec. 7 the opening of a technology accelerator office that will work with commercial companies in the space industry. Known as SpaceWERX, the new organization will be the “space arm of AFWERX,” Roper said during a virtual event in a joint appearance with Lt. Gen. John Thompson, commander of the Space and Missile Systems Center. Thompson said SpaceWERX will be located at the SMC campus in Los Angeles and will be led by Lt. Col. Rock McMillan.

“SpaceWERX will align innovation efforts to space operators and space acquisition,” said Thompson. He said Los Angeles is home to many commercial and defense space innovators. “The global space economy continues to grow, and we want to take advantage of that growth, expand the industrial base, and leverage commercial investment,” said Thompson. SpaceWERX will “help us ensure the Space Force can tap into cutting edge space technologies,” Thompson said.

https://spacenews.com/space-force-op...n-los-angeles/

Cape Canaveral, Patrick Air Force Base renamed as Space Force bases.

https://spacenews.com/cape-canaveral...e-force-bases/

Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe: Space Force to become 18th member of the U.S. intelligence community.

https://spacenews.com/ratcliffe-spac...nce-community/

A challenge for the Space Force is to bring a sense of urgency and vision to its acquisition programs.

The U.S. Space Force on Dec. 20 marks its first birthday. The service overall has moved forward at remarkable speed organizing a brand-new military branch — something that hasn’t been done in over 70 years. As it begins its second year, there are many unknowns such as how the Biden-Harris administration will treat national security space and the Space Force.

https://spacenews.com/op-ed-whats-ne...t-anniversary/

U.S. Space Force celebrates first birthday virtually. Given tight restrictions on travel and gatherings, leaders last Friday hosted a virtual Space Force birthday video call with troops deployed in Asia, Europe and Africa, Whiting said Dec. 14 during an online talk hosted by the Space Force Association. Reflecting on the first year of the Space Force, Whiting said the service has moved “faster than expected.” The Space Force has stood up its headquarters offices at the Pentagon. In August it published its first doctrine document. In October it established the Space Operations Command in Colorado as its first field command responsible for training and preparing operators who will fly satellites, monitor space traffic, track missile launches and watch for potential threats to U.S. spacecraft, among other tasks. Two more commands — the Space Systems Command and the Space Readiness and Training Command — will be brought to fruition in 2021. Whiting said there is still work to do in educating the public on what the Space Force does and why space matters to national security and everyday activities.

https://spacenews.com/u-s-space-forc...day-virtually/

Gen. John Raymond, chief of the U.S. Space Force, said he has met with members of the Biden transition team but would not speculate on what might change under the new administration. The head of the U.S. Space Force had “a very good conversation” with members of President-elect Joe Biden’s transition team, Chief of Space Operations Gen. John Raymond said Dec. 15.

https://spacenews.com/space-force-le...olitical-fray/

Two articles on the U.S. Space Force, going high-gear in technology and identifying threats.

---

Space Force trying to change negative perceptions about military procurement. The U.S. military wants to shake its reputation as an unfriendly customer to space startups and commercial tech companies, Lt. Gen. John Thompson, head of the Space Force’s Space and Missile Systems Center, said Dec. 16.

https://spacenews.com/space-force-tr...y-procurement/

=====

Space Force official: missile tests expose vulnerability of low-orbiting satellites. Russia issued a notice to airmen that it would be launching a ballistic missile Dec. 15 presumed to be a Nudol, which can be employed as a defensive interceptor weapon but also can be used to take down satellites in orbits anywhere from 100 miles to 1,200 miles above the Earth’s surface. Many of the satellites currently in low-Earth orbits are commercial and government spacecraft used for intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and communications.

https://spacenews.com/space-force-of...ng-satellites/

Should the US Space Force be planning a human military presence in space? So far there has been no urgent or justifiable argument for an in-orbit armed "fort." However, a new version of the game of "Hide and Seek" has been evolving in outer space.

https://www.spacewar.com/reports/US_...estar_999.html

“China has gone from zero to 60 really quick,” Gen. John Raymond, chief of space operations of the U.S. Space Force, said on an online event hosted by TechCrunch. “A couple of decades ago they were not big players in the space business, and they are definitely today,” said Raymond. “They have a very robust program.”

https://spacenews.com/raymond-on-chi...nd-concerning/

The Joint Chiefs of Staff will grow by one member when Space Force Gen. John "Jay" Raymond joins the highest-ranking military, deliberative body in the Defense Department on Dec. 20. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Army Gen. Mark Milley inducted Raymond, the chief of space operations, into the Joint Chiefs of Staff at a ceremony on Dec. 11. He becomes an official member of the body on the same day the Space Force celebrates its first anniversary as an official service branch. The United States Space Force is a separate service under the Department of the Air Force. It will grow to about 20,000 members with most coming from the Air Force, but with other services also providing personnel. The Air Force will provide all the services the new force needs, allowing the space professionals to concentrate on their missions.

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/News...-joint-chiefs/

Pence announces that Space Force personnel will be called guardians.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/18/polit...ans/index.html
    https://spacenews.com/u-s-space-forc...now-guardians/

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Ah, you beat me to it. I just saw a bit on this. I have the feeling there will be jokes about the USSF for some time. In this case I have already seen a number of Guardians of the Galaxy jokes. I wouldn’t even be surprised to see one make it into a future GotG movie.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser