Thread: Think you'll like a new movie? You're likely to be bummed out instead

Thumbs up Think you'll like a new movie? You're likely to be bummed out instead

https://phys.org/news/2019-12-star-wars.html

Report on an experiment conducted on people seeing "The Last Jedi" indicates that high expectations lead to disappointment, but low expectation will make you happy.
    Do good work. óVirgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Well, that's if the people work for Mechanical Turk. MTurk workers are known to be pretty different from the general population in many regards.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    https://phys.org/news/2019-12-star-wars.html

Report on an experiment conducted on people seeing "The Last Jedi" indicates that high expectations lead to disappointment, but low expectation will make you happy.
    Thatís often, but not always, my experience. It isnít unusual for me to watch a movie after hearing it received poor reviews, and enjoy it. It comes down to not expecting much then being pleasantly surprised if it is better than expected. Sometimes movies are just bad, though.

On the other hand, if I go into a movie with high expectations (usually this involves a sequel) I tend to notice flaws more and am more likely to expect more than the movie can deliver.

Star Wars though - havenít really been a fan since the first trilogy. I was the right age to enjoy it then and the special effects were new and amazing, at least for the first movie. But the writing was never that good, I never cared that much for the premise, and generally I just find the more recent movies to be boring.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Not really my experience, but then I can't remember the last time I had high expectations of a movie. I think it might have been 2001: A Space Odyssey, and it certainly lived up to my high expectation.
    I generally avoid reading reviews until after I've seen the film, and I go to see movies if there seems to be something about the premise that interests me. Sometimes I think they're very good, sometimes I think they're very bad; usually I think, Heigh-ho, that was sort-of interesting but not enthralling.

And then there's the category of movies that I would never choose to see, but go along with someone else who is keen to see it. Generally, they turn out to be just as dull/annoying/repellent as I anticipated; but once in a blue moon I get a surprise - I think the last time was Hey Hey It's Esther Blueburger, which I see is more than a decade ago.

So I don't recognize the pattern in the OP from my own experience - but then, left to my own devices, my motivation for watching movies is essentially one of curiosity, rather than eager anticipation.

Grant Hutchison

I often watch movies out of eager anticipation, and I often enjoy those movies.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I often watch movies out of eager anticipation, and I often enjoy those movies.
    I'm with you on that myself.
    I sometimes revisit a movie (especially older ones) that I remembered really enjoying at the time only to find they were not really that good. I put this down to, my eager anticipation at the time clouded my true judgement at the first time of viewing. Or alternatively, if its an old movie, perhaps special effects and such are so good these days along with the much wider variety of viewing choices, make our expectations far higher now than they were a few decades ago?

Once I've enjoyed a movie, I enjoy rewatching it. And rerewatching it. Et cetera.
    Shortly after I retired, I deliberately watched a few now-classic movies that I didn't enjoy at the time of release and had avoided ever since, but couldn't remember what I'd disliked. I had a genuine conviction that I would now, in my mature years, appreciate all the stuff I'd missed in my youth. Instead what happened was that I found myself thinking, "Oh, gad, now I remember why I hated this."

Grant Hutchison

Is Mechanical Turk still a thing? Wow.

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    I sometimes revisit a movie (especially older ones) that I remembered really enjoying at the time only to find they were not really that good. I put this down to, my eager anticipation at the time clouded my true judgement at the first time of viewing. Or alternatively, if its an old movie, perhaps special effects and such are so good these days along with the much wider variety of viewing choices, make our expectations far higher now than they were a few decades ago?
    There are some movies I liked as a child that I am afraid to rewatch as an adult because I worry they won’t hold up and I prefer to remember them as good.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Is Mechanical Turk still a thing? Wow.
    Still a thing. So the psychology literature has shifted from overgeneralizing the sociocognitive behaviours of psychology undergraduates to overgeneralizing the sociocognitive behaviours of MTurk giggers.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    Eh, I mostly like rewatching movies, too. Sometimes, I don't like them on a more recent viewing because I discover something in them that hasn't aged well--"Oh, did he treat all the women in the movie like that?" for example--or discover that a childhood favourite that I haven't seen since childhood is maybe fine for an eight-year-old but not so much for an adult.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"