Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 45 of 45

Thread: Number of launches in 2020

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    7,766
    The 6th launch in March as well as the 22nd launch this year is by ESA.

    https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...eb-satellites/

    On Saturday, Arianespace – in conjunction with its Starsem affiliate – launched a Soyuz 2.1b/Fregat-M rocket with 34 OneWeb Internet satellites to low Earth orbit. Liftoff from Site No. 31/6 at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan occurred at 1:06 pm EDT (17:06 UTC).

    The launch of this mission saw the continued use of the Baikonur Cosmodrome for Arianespace, which normally conducts launches from the Guiana Space Centre in Kourou, French Guiana.

    The flight was conducted under a commercial launch agreement held by Arianespace through shareholding in an affiliate named Starsem – a joint European-Russian company that is responsible for the commercial launch procurement of Soyuz vehicles for the Russian Space Agency, Roscosmos.
    Link to summary of launches by country in 2019

    NUMBER OF LAUNCHES IN 2020 BY COUNTRY__________________________________________________ _____SUMMARY OF LAUNCHES IN 2019 BY COUNTRY
    Country Launches Failures Partial Failures BEO Launches manned Launches _________________ Total Launches BEO Launches Manned Launches
    United States 7 0 0 1 0 ___________________ 22 0 0
    Russia 3 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 22 1 3
    China 6 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    ESA 3 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 9 0 0
    Japan 1 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 2 0 0
    India 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 6 1 0
    New Zealand 1 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 6 0 0
    North Korea 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 0 0 0
    Israel 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 0 0 0
    Iran 1 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 3 0 0
    TOTAL 22 2 0 1 0 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    7,766
    Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    The 6th launch in March as well as the 22nd launch this year is by ESA.

    https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...eb-satellites/
    Can someone help me out here. This was a Soyuz 2 rocket launched from Russia. Is that a Russian launch or an ESA launch.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Can someone help me out here. This was a Soyuz 2 rocket launched from Russia. Is that a Russian launch or an ESA launch.
    I would call it the launch origin, therefore Russian.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    7,766
    Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    I would call it the launch origin, therefore Russian.
    By that definition, all ESA launches in French Guiana will not be credited to ESA.

    The problem I have with this launch is, NASA gives ESA credit, while the other sites like spaceflightnow give the credit to Russia.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,645
    I would look at the booster origin. Soyuz, Proton = Russian. Ariane, Vega = Europe. Falcon, Delta = US, Long March = China... So even when a Soyuz is launching a US or ESA mission, it's counted as Russian.

    That said, there is no "right" way to count this.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    By that definition, all ESA launches in French Guiana will not be credited to ESA.

    The problem I have with this launch is, NASA gives ESA credit, while the other sites like spaceflightnow give the credit to Russia.
    The payload is ESA for sure, there have been many SpaceX launches that carry other countries payloads, besides the US, and those are counted as US launches. Another aspect, who controls the launch/trajectory?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I would look at the booster origin. Soyuz, Proton = Russian. Ariane, Vega = Europe. Falcon, Delta = US, Long March = China... So even when a Soyuz is launching a US or ESA mission, it's counted as Russian.
    I disagree. Should the US import a Soyuz rocket and launch it from the Cape, you would count it as a Russian launch?

    That said, there is no "right" way to count this.
    I believe there lies a different "description" between reporting agencies and that is the confusion.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,645
    I disagree. Should the US import a Soyuz rocket and launch it from the Cape, you would count it as a Russian launch?
    If the Russians send a Soyuz into space with a Russian mission from the Guiana spaceport, is it a Russian launch or an ESA one?
    If the US sends two astronauts into space with a Soyuz from a Russian base, it is a Russian launch or a US one?
    If ESA sends an ESA mission into space with a Soyuz from Guiana?

    Apparently the payload doesn't count, as all commercial launches are counted with the launch agency, not the payload owner.
    If the launch site counts, Guiana makes counting this way a mess with the ESA and Soyuz pads there.
    And that's why I would simply go with the booster origin.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    7,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    If the Russians send a Soyuz into space with a Russian mission from the Guiana spaceport, is it a Russian launch or an ESA one?
    If the US sends two astronauts into space with a Soyuz from a Russian base, it is a Russian launch or a US one?
    If ESA sends an ESA mission into space with a Soyuz from Guiana?

    Apparently the payload doesn't count, as all commercial launches are counted with the launch agency, not the payload owner.
    If the launch site counts, Guiana makes counting this way a mess with the ESA and Soyuz pads there.
    And that's why I would simply go with the booster origin.
    It is ESA that is causing the confusion. They have launched Soyuz rockets from Guiana several times. They have always counted as ESA's launches. This time the confusion come from they launching from Russia (I take it that is because Guiana is closed due to the virus)
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    7,766
    The 7th launch in March as well as the 23rd launch this year is by China.

    https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...ixing-mission/

    After losing the first Long March-7A one week ago, China launched a new group of triplet satellites for the Chuangxin-5 (CX-5) constellation. Launched under the name Yaogan Weixing-30 Group-6, the three satellites were orbited by a Long March-2C launch vehicle from the LC3 Launch Complex of the Xichang Satellite Launch Center. The launch took place at 03:43 UTC.
    Link to summary of launches by country in 2019

    NUMBER OF LAUNCHES IN 2020 BY COUNTRY__________________________________________________ _____SUMMARY OF LAUNCHES IN 2019 BY COUNTRY
    Country Launches Failures Partial Failures BEO Launches manned Launches _________________ Total Launches BEO Launches Manned Launches
    United States 7 0 0 1 0 ___________________ 22 0 0
    Russia 3 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 22 1 3
    China 7 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    ESA 3 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 9 0 0
    Japan 1 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 2 0 0
    India 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 6 1 0
    New Zealand 1 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 6 0 0
    North Korea 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 0 0 0
    Israel 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 0 0 0
    Iran 1 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 3 0 0
    TOTAL 23 2 0 1 0 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,160
    Was that "ESA" mission from Russia done using ESA launch crews, etc? If not, I'd count it for Russia.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    If the Russians send a Soyuz into space with a Russian mission from the Guiana spaceport, is it a Russian launch or an ESA one?
    If the US sends two astronauts into space with a Soyuz from a Russian base, it is a Russian launch or a US one?
    If ESA sends an ESA mission into space with a Soyuz from Guiana?
    If a Soyuz rocket launches from ESA Guiana spaceport who controls the launch and flight? It is NOT the Russians, therefore it is NOT a Russian launch but a ESA since they own/operate the spaceport in Guyana.
    Yes when the US sends astronauts to the ISS using a Soyuz rocket from Baikonur, it is a Russian launch since they control the launch/trajectory of the rocket.
    Yes when ESA sends a Russian rocket from Guiana from their spaceport then it is an ESA launch since they control the launch/trajectory.

    Apparently the payload doesn't count, as all commercial launches are counted with the launch agency, not the payload owner.
    If the launch site counts, Guiana makes counting this way a mess with the ESA and Soyuz pads there.
    And that's why I would simply go with the booster origin.
    I agree that the payload and payload owner don't count as I referred to SpaceX launching payloads not owned or operated by the US or SpaceX.

    Carrying your philosophy to a further extension, then all of SpaceX, launces can't be counted as US launches since they build/own/operate the rockets not the US, so their launches can't be US. Do you see the fallacy of counting launches from the rocket? If not so be it. You have your opinion and I have mine and I respect your opinion even though I believe it to be incorrect.
    That being said, this is the last reply on this matter. Reply if you must.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,645
    Carrying your philosophy to a further extension, then all of SpaceX, launces can't be counted as US launches since they build/own/operate the rockets not the US, so their launches can't be US.
    They are still US launches if you consider the country in which the booster is designed and built, not just the government. I live in a country that most of the time doesn't have a government so I have a different perception on this.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    7,766
    Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    If a Soyuz rocket launches from ESA Guiana spaceport who controls the launch and flight? It is NOT the Russians, therefore it is NOT a Russian launch but a ESA since they own/operate the spaceport in Guyana.
    Yes when the US sends astronauts to the ISS using a Soyuz rocket from Baikonur, it is a Russian launch since they control the launch/trajectory of the rocket.
    Yes when ESA sends a Russian rocket from Guiana from their spaceport then it is an ESA launch since they control the launch/trajectory.

    I agree that the payload and payload owner don't count as I referred to SpaceX launching payloads not owned or operated by the US or SpaceX.

    Carrying your philosophy to a further extension, then all of SpaceX, launces can't be counted as US launches since they build/own/operate the rockets not the US, so their launches can't be US. Do you see the fallacy of counting launches from the rocket? If not so be it. You have your opinion and I have mine and I respect your opinion even though I believe it to be incorrect.
    That being said, this is the last reply on this matter. Reply if you must.
    I believe it is A Russian crew that launches it from Guiana with ESA overseeing it.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Klang, Malaysia
    Posts
    7,766
    The 8th launch in March as well as the 24th launch this year is by USA.

    https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...forces-aehf-6/

    United Launch Alliance’s Atlas V rocket carried out its first mission for the United States Space Force Thursday, deploying the final Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF) satellite to provide secure communications for the US military and its allies. Liftoff from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station ahead of a long mission to deployment.
    Link to summary of launches by country in 2019

    NUMBER OF LAUNCHES IN 2020 BY COUNTRY__________________________________________________ _____SUMMARY OF LAUNCHES IN 2019 BY COUNTRY
    Country Launches Failures Partial Failures BEO Launches manned Launches _________________ Total Launches BEO Launches Manned Launches
    United States 8 0 0 1 0 ___________________ 22 0 0
    Russia 3 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 22 1 3
    China 7 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    ESA 3 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 9 0 0
    Japan 1 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 2 0 0
    India 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 6 1 0
    New Zealand 1 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 6 0 0
    North Korea 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 0 0 0
    Israel 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 0 0 0
    Iran 1 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 3 0 0
    TOTAL 24 2 0 1 0 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •