Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Number of launches in 2020

The 6th launch in March as well as the 22nd launch this year is by ESA.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...eb-satellites/

On Saturday, Arianespace – in conjunction with its Starsem affiliate – launched a Soyuz 2.1b/Fregat-M rocket with 34 OneWeb Internet satellites to low Earth orbit. Liftoff from Site No. 31/6 at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan occurred at 1:06 pm EDT (17:06 UTC).

The launch of this mission saw the continued use of the Baikonur Cosmodrome for Arianespace, which normally conducts launches from the Guiana Space Centre in Kourou, French Guiana.

The flight was conducted under a commercial launch agreement held by Arianespace through shareholding in an affiliate named Starsem – a joint European-Russian company that is responsible for the commercial launch procurement of Soyuz vehicles for the Russian Space Agency, Roscosmos.
    Link to summary of launches by country in 2019

NUMBER OF LAUNCHES IN 2020 BY COUNTRY__________________________________________________ _____SUMMARY OF LAUNCHES IN 2019 BY COUNTRY
    Country Launches Failures Partial Failures BEO Launches manned Launches _________________ Total Launches BEO Launches Manned Launches
    United States 7 0 0 1 0 ___________________ 22 0 0
    Russia 3 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 22 1 3
    China 6 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    ESA 3 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 9 0 0
    Japan 1 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 2 0 0
    India 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 6 1 0
    New Zealand 1 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 6 0 0
    North Korea 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 0 0 0
    Israel 0 0 0 0 0 ___________________ 0 0 0
    Iran 1 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 3 0 0
    TOTAL 22 2 0 1 0 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    The 6th launch in March as well as the 22nd launch this year is by ESA.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...eb-satellites/
    Can someone help me out here. This was a Soyuz 2 rocket launched from Russia. Is that a Russian launch or an ESA launch.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Can someone help me out here. This was a Soyuz 2 rocket launched from Russia. Is that a Russian launch or an ESA launch.
    I would call it the launch origin, therefore Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    I would call it the launch origin, therefore Russian.
    By that definition, all ESA launches in French Guiana will not be credited to ESA.

The problem I have with this launch is, NASA gives ESA credit, while the other sites like spaceflightnow give the credit to Russia.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

I would look at the booster origin. Soyuz, Proton = Russian. Ariane, Vega = Europe. Falcon, Delta = US, Long March = China... So even when a Soyuz is launching a US or ESA mission, it's counted as Russian.

That said, there is no "right" way to count this.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

By that definition, all ESA launches in French Guiana will not be credited to ESA.

The problem I have with this launch is, NASA gives ESA credit, while the other sites like spaceflightnow give the credit to Russia.
    The payload is ESA for sure, there have been many SpaceX launches that carry other countries payloads, besides the US, and those are counted as US launches. Another aspect, who controls the launch/trajectory?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I would look at the booster origin. Soyuz, Proton = Russian. Ariane, Vega = Europe. Falcon, Delta = US, Long March = China... So even when a Soyuz is launching a US or ESA mission, it's counted as Russian.
    I disagree. Should the US import a Soyuz rocket and launch it from the Cape, you would count it as a Russian launch?

That said, there is no "right" way to count this.
    I believe there lies a different "description" between reporting agencies and that is the confusion.

I disagree. Should the US import a Soyuz rocket and launch it from the Cape, you would count it as a Russian launch?
    If the Russians send a Soyuz into space with a Russian mission from the Guiana spaceport, is it a Russian launch or an ESA one?
    If the US sends two astronauts into space with a Soyuz from a Russian base, it is a Russian launch or a US one?
    If ESA sends an ESA mission into space with a Soyuz from Guiana?

Apparently the payload doesn't count, as all commercial launches are counted with the launch agency, not the payload owner.
    If the launch site counts, Guiana makes counting this way a mess with the ESA and Soyuz pads there.
    And that's why I would simply go with the booster origin.

If the Russians send a Soyuz into space with a Russian mission from the Guiana spaceport, is it a Russian launch or an ESA one?
    If the US sends two astronauts into space with a Soyuz from a Russian base, it is a Russian launch or a US one?

Apparently the payload doesn't count, as all commercial launches are counted with the launch agency, not the payload owner.
    If the launch site counts, Guiana makes counting this way a mess with the ESA and Soyuz pads there.
    It is ESA that is causing the confusion. They have launched Soyuz rockets from Guiana several times. They have always counted as ESA's launches. This time the confusion come from they launching from Russia (I take it that is because Guiana is closed due to the virus)
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 7th launch in March as well as the 23rd launch this year is by China.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...ixing-mission/

After losing the first Long March-7A one week ago, China launched a new group of triplet satellites for the Chuangxin-5 (CX-5) constellation. Launched under the name Yaogan Weixing-30 Group-6, the three satellites were orbited by a Long March-2C launch vehicle from the LC3 Launch Complex of the Xichang Satellite Launch Center. The launch took place at 03:43 UTC.

NUMBER OF LAUNCHES IN 2020 BY COUNTRY__________________________________________________ _____SUMMARY OF LAUNCHES IN 2019 BY COUNTRY
    Country Launches Failures Partial Failures BEO Launches manned Launches _________________ Total Launches BEO Launches Manned Launches
    United States 7 0 0 1 0 ___________________ 22 0 0
    China 7 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    TOTAL 23 2 0 1 0 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Was that "ESA" mission from Russia done using ESA launch crews, etc? If not, I'd count it for Russia.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

If a Soyuz rocket launches from ESA Guiana spaceport who controls the launch and flight? It is NOT the Russians, therefore it is NOT a Russian launch but a ESA since they own/operate the spaceport in Guyana.
    Yes when the US sends astronauts to the ISS using a Soyuz rocket from Baikonur, it is a Russian launch since they control the launch/trajectory of the rocket.
    Yes when ESA sends a Russian rocket from Guiana from their spaceport then it is an ESA launch since they control the launch/trajectory.

I agree that the payload and payload owner don't count as I referred to SpaceX launching payloads not owned or operated by the US or SpaceX.

Carrying your philosophy to a further extension, then all of SpaceX, launces can't be counted as US launches since they build/own/operate the rockets not the US, so their launches can't be US. Do you see the fallacy of counting launches from the rocket? If not so be it. You have your opinion and I have mine and I respect your opinion even though I believe it to be incorrect.
    That being said, this is the last reply on this matter. Reply if you must.

Carrying your philosophy to a further extension, then all of SpaceX, launces can't be counted as US launches since they build/own/operate the rockets not the US, so their launches can't be US.
    They are still US launches if you consider the country in which the booster is designed and built, not just the government. I live in a country that most of the time doesn't have a government so I have a different perception on this.

If a Soyuz rocket launches from ESA Guiana spaceport who controls the launch and flight? It is NOT the Russians, therefore it is NOT a Russian launch but a ESA since they own/operate the spaceport in Guyana.
    Yes when the US sends astronauts to the ISS using a Soyuz rocket from Baikonur, it is a Russian launch since they control the launch/trajectory of the rocket.
    Yes when ESA sends a Russian rocket from Guiana from their spaceport then it is an ESA launch since they control the launch/trajectory.

I agree that the payload and payload owner don't count as I referred to SpaceX launching payloads not owned or operated by the US or SpaceX.

Carrying your philosophy to a further extension, then all of SpaceX, launces can't be counted as US launches since they build/own/operate the rockets not the US, so their launches can't be US. Do you see the fallacy of counting launches from the rocket? If not so be it. You have your opinion and I have mine and I respect your opinion even though I believe it to be incorrect.
    That being said, this is the last reply on this matter. Reply if you must.
    I believe it is A Russian crew that launches it from Guiana with ESA overseeing it.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 8th launch in March as well as the 24th launch this year is by USA.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...forces-aehf-6/

United Launch Alliance’s Atlas V rocket carried out its first mission for the United States Space Force Thursday, deploying the final Advanced Extremely High Frequency (AEHF) satellite to provide secure communications for the US military and its allies. Liftoff from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station ahead of a long mission to deployment.

United States 8 0 0 1 0 ___________________ 22 0 0
    TOTAL 24 2 0 1 0 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 1st launch in April as well as the 25th launch this year is by Russia.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...-launch-ms-16/

For the first time since 2002, humans departed for the International Space Station from Kazakhstan on a rocket other than the veteran Soyuz-FG, which was retired last year. Now, the Soyuz 2.1a rocket took up crew launch duties for the Russian element of crew support for the Station.

The Soyuz MS-16 three-person crew lifted off from Site No. 31/6 at the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan, on 9 April 2020 at 08:05:06 UTC (04:05:06 EDT) to begin a four orbit, six hour rendezvous with the Station.

Docking is expected at 14:15 UTC (10:15 EDT).

Russia 4 0 0 0 1 ___________________ 22 1 3
    TOTAL 25 2 0 1 1 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 2nd launch in April as well as the 26th launch this year is by China.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...ian-satellite/

A new communications satellite was launched for Indonesia by China Great Wall Industry Corporation on Thursday using a Long March-3B/G2 (Chang Zheng-3B/G2) rocket. The launch took place at 11:45 UTC from the LC2 pad at the Xichang Satellite Launch Center.

China 8 2 0 0 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    TOTAL 26 3 0 1 1 ___________________ 104 2 3

There was a failure with the 3rd stage.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...ian-satellite/

A new communications satellite attempted to make its way into for Indonesia called Nusantara Dua via a China Great Wall Industry Corporation launch on Thursday using a Long March-3B/G2 (Chang Zheng-3B/G2) rocket. The launch took place at 11:48 UTC from the LC2 pad at the Xichang Satellite Launch Center, but reportedly failed during third stage flight. The satellite is understood to have already reentered and has thus been destroyed.
    Last edited by selvaarchi; 2020-Apr-10 at 01:12 AM.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Unfortunately, it had a third stage failure and the satellite payload and stage reentered the atmosphere.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...-than-a-month/

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Unfortunately, it had a third stage failure and the satellite payload and stage reentered the atmosphere.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...-than-a-month/
    Second in a row this month.

Second in a row this month.
    Not in a row. The last one was a success. The one before that failed.

Van Rijn thanks for pointing that out.

I will try and amend the post as it is less than 24 hours since I posted it.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Not in a row. The last one was a success. The one before that failed.

Van Rijn thanks for pointing that out.

I will try and amend the post as it is less than 24 hours since I posted it.
    My bad it wasn't in a row.

The 3rd launch in April as well as the 27th launch this year is by Iran.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/04/2...lite-in-orbit/

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps — a branch of the country’s armed forces — launched a small military spacecraft into orbit Wednesday, ending a string of rocket failures in the nascent Iranian satellite program.

The small military craft, named Noor, flew into orbit on top of a multi-stage Qased rocket, according to Iranian state media.

China 8 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    Iran 2 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 3 0 0
    TOTAL 27 2 0 1 1 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 4th launch in April as well as the 28th launch this year is by USA. It was SpaceX 6th launch this year.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...ader-starlink/

As SpaceX continued its steady march of Starlink internet satellite launches, the company reached a new milestone with the seventh flight of Starlink on Wednesday: Falcon 9 took the mantle of “most flown currently operational U.S. rocket” from Atlas V.

Meanwhile, SpaceX is actively making moves on the ground, securing FCC permits for Starlink ground terminals/stations across the United States.

The seventh flight of Starlink satellites launched Wednesday, 22 April at 15:30 EDT (19:30 UTC) from LC-39A at the Kennedy Space Center.

United States 9 0 0 1 0 ___________________ 22 0 0
    China 8 1 0 0 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    TOTAL 28 2 0 1 1 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Hi selvaarchi,

How did China's failure count get reduced?

While I'm here, congrats to Iran. It's all good for space development.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    Hi selvaarchi,

How did China's failure count get reduced?

While I'm here, congrats to Iran. It's all good for space development.

cheers
    Thanks for pointing it out. Do not know what I did

Here is the revised updated table.

TOTAL 28 3 0 1 1 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Thanks for pointing it out. Do not know what I did

Here is the revised updated table.

TOTAL 28 3 0 1 1 ___________________ 104 2 3
    Fat finger on the keyboard?

The 5th launch in April as well as the 29th launch this year is by Russia.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...y-for-station/

For the second time this month, the Russian federal space agency, Roscosmos, launched one of their crafts to the International Space Station.

Liftoff of the Progress MS-14 uncrewed cargo resupply mission to the orbital outpost launched from Site No. 31/6 at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on Friday, 24 April at 21:51:41 EDT — which was 01:51:41 UTC on Saturday, 25 April.

The mission performed a super fast-track rendezvous with the Station culminating in an automated docking just 3 hours 21 minutes after liftoff.

Russia 5 0 0 0 1 ___________________ 22 1 3
    TOTAL 29 3 0 1 1 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 1st launch in May as well as the 30th launch this year is by China.

A critical launch for China. This means China space station, Mars mission and Chang'e-5 moon sample mission are on

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...-crew-capsule/

China has launched a new generation crew space capsule at around 10:00 UTC on May 5, 2020, using the first Long March-5B rocket. The launch took place from the LC101 Launch Complex of the Wenchang Spaceflight Launch Center, in Hainan.

China 9 2 0 0 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    TOTAL 30 3 0 1 1 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 2nd launch in May as well as the 31st launch this year is by China.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...tribute-wuhan/

A Chinese Kuaizhou-1A (Y6) rocket has launched the first two operational satellites for the Xingyun narrowband constellation. The launch took place at 01:16 UTC on Tuesday from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center. The two satellites Xingyun-2 (01) ‘Wuhan’ and Xingyun-2 (02) were developed by the Xingyun Satellite Co., a subsidiary of China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation (CASIC), Sanjiang Group, in Wuhan.

China 10 2 0 0 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    TOTAL 31 3 0 1 1 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

The 3rd launch in May as well as the 32nd launch this year is by USA.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...h-sixth-x-37b/

The United States Air Force’s X-37B spaceplane began its sixth mission with launch aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket Sunday after a weather scrub on Saturday. Atlas lifted off from Cape Canaveral without issue and deployed the X-37B into low Earth orbit about twenty minutes later.

United States 10 0 0 1 0 ___________________ 22 0 0
    China 10 2 0 0 0 ___________________ 34 0 0
    TOTAL 32 3 0 1 1 ___________________ 104 2 3
    I am because we are