Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Space Hotel

More on Axiom's space hotel on ISS. Goes up in 2024.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/plans-...pace-hotel-iss
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Interesting. They are apparently planning on a manufacturing module as well as a habitat module. Back in the 70s and 80s there was real interest in space manufacturing, and some thought things like advanced microchips and other small volume/high value items would be made there with advantages like microgravity and high vacuum, but regular access didn’t develop. Hopefully that is changing.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

"World's first space hotel scheduled to open in 2027"

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...scn/index.html

If you're daydreaming of future travels while stuck at home during the pandemic, why fantasize about the beaches of Bali or the canals of Venice when vacationing in space could be in your future?
    Back in 2019, Californian company the Gateway Foundation released plans for a cruise ship-style hotel that could one day float above the Earth's atmosphere.
    Then called the Von Braun Station, this futuristic concept -- comprised of 24 modules connected by elevator shafts that make up a rotating wheel orbiting the Earth -- was scheduled to be fully operational by 2027.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Then called the Von Braun Station, this futuristic concept -- comprised of 24 modules connected by elevator shafts that make up a rotating wheel orbiting the Earth -- was scheduled to be fully operational by 2027.
    I really, really hope they call it something else or they’ll be in for a huge media controversy.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I really, really hope they call it something else or they’ll be in for a huge media controversy.
    People from all over the world (the richest of course) will be booking there, naming it "Babylon One" fits.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I think they got the memo. From the story linked above:

Fast forward a couple years and the hotel has a new name -- Voyager Station -- and it's set to be built by Orbital Assembly Corporation, a new construction company run by former pilot John Blincow, who also heads up the Gateway Foundation.
    I admire their aspirational vision but i am pretty sure they have built nothing, to date. So being in business in six years is one heck of a stretch.

I liked the old External Tank station of Space Island Group

Orbital Assembly announced plans to begin construction of the first ever Voyager space hotel in 2025

During the eight years that the Soyuz were ferrying tourists up, they managed to get seven customers (one going twice).

So are these hotels going to survive on one visitor a year? (And if there are people actually working in the hotel, they're going to need to go up - more cost!) Or are they going to crank up the number of visitors?

The cost has allegedly been multiple tens of millions, and I haven't seen anything that suggests these hotels are going to have a substantially lower cost. Maybe they're going to offer a much better experience, but if the world market for space tourism costing tens of millions of dollars has been about one person per year, I think they're going to have to improve the experience quite a lot to have a viable business.

Now, if they can bring the cost down a lot, that could be a whole different story. But in the quick search I'm doing, it looks like "tens of millions" is likely to remain the case.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Now, if they can bring the cost down a lot, that could be a whole different story. But in the quick search I'm doing, it looks like "tens of millions" is likely to remain the case.
    Tens of millions for building the hotels, or for transporting visitors?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Hopefully the new space hotel will have much better room service than the Soyuz...

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Tens of millions for building the hotels, or for transporting visitors?
    I think the question is about the fee for staying at the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    It’s worth reading the vision for space tourism and space hotels from page 45 in Robert Zubrin’s book “The Case for Space”. He suggests that the development of intercontinental rocket technology for point to point travel across earth could bring the price for getting people to and from space hotels down substantially.

Maybe his detail on ease and timeline of development is optimistic. But reusable rocket technology is undergoing dynamic change at the moment (Spacex, Blue Origin etc). Once the foundations are laid for development (which can take time), innovation can take off surprisingly quickly.

There is a thread on Post-International Space Station in Space Exploration which has been considering space hotels.
    I have put a post there linking to some of the wider economic issues relating to Space adventure tourism in posts from The Emerging Space Economy thread.

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...10#post2534110

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I think the question is about the fee for staying at the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The article referred to $35,000 per night to stay, but tens of millions to get there. So I guess if you go there and stay for a few years, the cost per night won't actually be that much.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"