Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space Hotel

Space Hotel

So read an article a few months ago which I cannot find now about a space hotel being built. It spoke that it would be ready in 2025 and that anyone can book a night there. Probably for more money than you can imagine. Was it for real or just a joke article. I am curious to know would it be like the IIS or an actually building on the moon for example. It also spoke about issues with anti gravity.

Not a joke, though whether the first commercial attempts will work out is an open question, and even if they do, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the timetables slip a bit. Keep in mind that a number of countries and companies would be interested in doing their own orbital research and would like to have their own astronauts once reliable access to orbit becomes available. And then there are people with the money and interest to want to be space tourists. Now that commercial crew launch services are coming this year, that will soon no longer be an issue. Things could get really interesting if the SpaceX Starship works out as claimed, as that could dramatically increase passenger capacity and lower cost.

I have seen different habitat designs mentioned, some using Bigalow inflatables, some with rotating sections for so-called artificial gravity, though that substantially increases complexity. Anti gravity doesn’t exist, so that was probably something you misread, though it might have been from a poorly written article.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I checked Google and found four serious proposals for space hotels produced in the 21st century. None have met their deadline at present and two, I think, are extinct. Civilians have been sent to space as tourists, and the ISS is rumored to be turned over to civilian use as a part-time hotel.

https://www.space.com/gateway-founda...e-station.html

https://www.space.com/40207-space-ho...a-station.html

https://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/08/14/...eut/index.html

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Sp...ory?id=7929129
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Thanks I was curious. I do not know if I would have the guts to attempt it. My old boss actually went to ISS as a civilian for about 10-12 days but this was after he was my boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    Thanks I was curious. I do not know if I would have the guts to attempt it. My old boss actually went to ISS as a civilian for about 10-12 days but this was after he was my boss.
    Wow, you worked at Cirque du Soleil?

;-)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I was the single dedicated it support for the owner

The thing that always comes up for me is what medical and training hoops will one have to jump through.

And will the requirements slope drop faster than my health slope? I might be able to get to space if I can manage to live to 120!

I was the single dedicated it support for the owner
    That grammar went way over my head, but I think maybe you meant IT rather than it? As in:

I worked for the owner of Cirque de Soleil as a dedicated IT expert.
    ?
    As above, so below

Yes that’s what I meant.

Wait, it really was Cirque du Soleil? I just picked it at random as a bit of a joke expecting a CQ user would be more likely to have worked for one of the ones who got rich in tech and you would correct me.

No you were right ��

The thing that always comes up for me is what medical and training hoops will one have to jump through.

And will the requirements slope drop faster than my health slope? I might be able to get to space if I can manage to live to 120!
    I was wondering the same thing. There must be some kind of training and even medical checkup for this.

Now out of curiosity how many people here would actually go for a night.

I am a no I am scared of heights and I still to be honest can’t grasp the logic of how a motorcycle does not fall during a turn ��

I was wondering the same thing. There must be some kind of training and even medical checkup for this.

I wouldn’t. There are plenty of hotels on earth I’d love to go to, and I don’t see the point of going someplace that is dangerous, cramped, and lacking gravity just to see the earth from above. I’d much rather go to a place where there’s a beach.

Incidentally, I’m also afraid of heights, but flying in an airplane doesn’t trigger it. Somehow it’s a different experience.
    As above, so below

I am a no I am scared of heights and I still to be honest can’t grasp the logic of how a motorcycle does not fall during a turn ��
    I would like to, just to have had that experience in my life.

You bet I would!

My only worry is the transition from weight to weightlessness. After all, what's really happening is the spacecraft is turning off its thrust and you are falling. That the Earth won't be there when we fall is not reassuring.

I'm pretty sure it'll be like being in a elevator that falls (if starting off slowly). I get the heebie-jeebies in airplanes when they throttle back from steep ascent, and I imagine it's that - but fifty times worse.

But I overcame my fear of rollercoasters with the idea of maybe being able to make it to space.

I wonder how much I would weigh in Space

I wonder how much I would weigh in Space
    In the typical sort of space stations we have built so far, you would be in microgravity and weigh nothing, but have the same mass as on Earth— although, if your hotel offered some cool micro-g sports, maybe you could come back in better shape!

Remember that one of the first things you will do when reaching your space hotel room is throw up. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Remember that one of the first things you will do when reaching your space hotel room is throw up. A lot.
    I believe that varies from person to person. Also, medicine can help. I suspect passengers would be more likely to be given medicine than astronauts (and they sometimes take medicine for nausea too).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Well considering no gravity up is only way vomit can go

Well considering no gravity up is only way vomit can go
    That could be a new zero-g sport!

When you vomit, you'll start to spin about your frontal axis like a Catherine wheel!

Well, that’s one way to lose mass— but it isn’t one doctors recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Well, that’s one way to lose mass— but it isn’t one doctors recommend.
    And don't forget - if the station changes mass, that will have side effects on its stability (for example, spin rate).

So everything you bring with you has to come home with you! "Here's your bag,sir. Get scooping! You can store the bag (closed) under your bunk until the return journey."

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    And don't forget - if the station changes mass, that will have side effects on its stability (for example, spin rate). So everything you bring with you has to come home with you! "Here's your bag,sir. Get scooping! You can store the bag (closed) under your bunk until the return journey."
    I would imagine that as with the ISS, you could also leave garbage there for some time and then bring it back on a supply flight. I don't think it will have an immediate effect because I think you are going to need some attitude control, with gyroscopes perhaps, so it will just change the parameters slightly.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    And don't forget - if the station changes mass, that will have side effects on its stability (for example, spin rate).
    Any space vessel loses mass as its jets fire, and the ISS regularly gains and loses mass as vessels dock and leave. They also already have advanced zero G toilets. So I'm sure it can be handled without baggies.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

That always was a curious thought what happens to the garbage and bathroom matter on the iss

I’d still rather be in Cuba lol

Well, space hotels are coming to the ISS.

https://gizmodo.com/nasa-picks-axiom...iss-1841295297

Well, space hotels are coming to the ISS.
    B
    https://gizmodo.com/nasa-picks-axiom...iss-1841295297
    Ha! The article says there will be space butlers!

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Ha! The article says there will be space butlers!
    "Your vomit bag, sir."