Thread: Dark flow

Dark flow

Does anyone know Dark Flow and it eating our galaxy up?

DE586813-E9D5-4232-A611-3136AADB0D7D.jpegDE586813-E9D5-4232-A611-3136AADB0D7D.jpeg
    Last edited by Sinbad; 2020-Jan-10 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post

DE586813-E9D5-4232-A611-3136AADB0D7D.jpegDE586813-E9D5-4232-A611-3136AADB0D7D.jpeg
    The dark flow is a small residual velocity detected in galactic clusters (e.g. they all seem to be slightly more likely to move in one direction than any other). It was found in the WMAP data but so far most researchers seem to agree it is not present in the Planck data (although some disagree).

So it is either a tiny tendency for galaxy groups to move in one direction rather than at random or an effect that doesn't exist. It has nothing to do with 'eating our galaxy' and may not even be real. It also isn't linked to any megastructure.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_flow

Ok thank you, so what is eating our galaxy and how does it affect us if any way

Nothing is eating our galaxy.
    Where do you get this stuff from?
    (I ask that as a sincere and polite question, because you seem to be tapping into some source of fantasy Doomsday scenarios, and it would be nice to know who is peddling this nonsense.)

Grant Hutchison

Sorry I saw that pic on a Facebook universe group. And was curious cause of the pic.

Sorry I saw that pic on a Facebook universe group. And was curious cause of the pic.
    It has all the usual features of click-bait that we've been pointing out to you. If that's the standard of discourse on this Facebook group, it seems like a good place not to visit.

Grant Hutchison

You might want to find a better Facebook group. One that deals in reality and not....nonsense.

As Grant says, nothing is eating our galaxy.

Just in case you find any more doomsday articles can I just take a moment to say: As far as we know there is no imminent threat to our planet, galaxy or universe from any cosmological entity or aspect of fundamental physics. There are a few very unlikely scenarios (makes winning the lottery every week for a year look like good odds) but they are completely unpredictable. Anyone telling you that the universe or galaxy is a fragile little thing that could end at any moment is wrong.

What do you think the word "dark" means in "Dark Flow"?

Did you find any sources of information on Dark Flow (besides here)?

As Grant says, nothing is eating our galaxy.

Just in case you find any more doomsday articles can I just take a moment to say: As far as we know there is no imminent threat to our planet, galaxy or universe from any cosmological entity or aspect of fundamental physics. There are a few very unlikely scenarios (makes winning the lottery every week for a year look like good odds) but they are completely unpredictable. Anyone telling you that the universe or galaxy is a fragile little thing that could end at any moment is wrong.
    Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
    From what I have read those scenarios are based of millions of years in the future unless I am mistaking or are unaware of some. Am I correct. Also none of those threats are any more likely in our time frame of life versus the past or future.

From what I have read those scenarios are based of millions of years in the future unless I am mistaking or are unaware of some. Am I correct. Also none of those threats are any more likely in our time frame of life versus the past or future.
    They are certainly no more likely now than in the past, and they haven't hurt us in the last 4 billion years so are unlikely to hurt us any time soon.

There's really nothing worth worrying about and plenty to wonder at out there.

They are certainly no more likely now than in the past, and they haven't hurt us in the last 4 billion years so are unlikely to hurt us any time soon.

There's really nothing worth worrying about and plenty to wonder at out there.
    So my statement I made that anything currently out there is basically talking millions of years in the future, and anything out there has no more of a chance within the next 50 years than it did the past 1000 years is correct
    Last edited by Sinbad; 2020-Jan-10 at 09:10 PM.

I'm not going to lie to you, there are things that could happen tomorrow, or never. They are just so vanishingly unlikely it isnt worth worrying about. And there is no way we'd predict them or see them coming. And nothing has made them more likely recently.

Are this thing that are likely to happen in our lifetime. Are you talking things like For example Big Crunch and Rip that can end the universe but are more than likely billions of years in the future. Or are you talking about things that are not discussed in order to avoid fear. I was researching ways the universe can end now and nothing came up except vacuum collapse. The only other scenarios are scenarios like the crunch, rip, heat freeze etc that is predicted far far from now.
    Last edited by Sinbad; 2020-Jan-10 at 10:21 PM.

If you are just talking about "end of the universe" scenarios then your statement is correct. All of these scenarios are way in the future or very unlikely.

Edit to add: And there aren't any topics not discussed to avoid fear. Physics and cosmology is an open book to any one.

Ok so you comment about tomorrow was not a universe ending more of earth ending. Example asteroid strike, alien invasion things like that.

Example things name in the following article
    I know the scenarios mentioned in the article are possible but highly unlikely. I assume this is what you are referring to?

.https://www.discovermagazine.com/pla...orld-could-end

Ok so you comment about tomorrow was not a universe ending more of earth ending. Example asteroid strike, alien invasion things like that.

Example things name in the following article
    I know the scenarios mentioned in the article are possible but highly unlikely. I assume this is what you are referring to?

.https://www.discovermagazine.com/pla...orld-could-end
    Yes, things like that.

So basically this dark flow or even the Radcliffe wave is causing this. how long till something at this distance reaches us?

DARK MATTER CLUMP Dark matter is the heavy but invisible (and as yet undetected) stuff believed to hold galaxies together. If a clump passed near our sun, its pull could shake loose comets from the outer solar system, sending some of them crashing into Earth. Australia-based astronomer Kenji Bekki claims that one such passage happened millions of years ago, forming a ring of stars called Gould’s Belt. If a dark cloud headed right into (and through) Earth, that might have dire consequences too. In theory, dark matter particles could interact with each other, giving off gamma radiation. Afsar Abbas, a physicist in India, suggests that the radiation would not only cause a wave of mutations but also heat up Earth’s interior and trigger massive volcanism, leading to a double extinction. Odds: indeterminate. Dark matter is so elusive that an event could be starting right now and we might not know it.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Are this thing that are likely to happen in our lifetime. Are you talking things like For example Big Crunch and Rip that can end the universe but are more than likely billions of years in the future. Or are you talking about things that are not discussed in order to avoid fear. I was researching ways the universe can end now and nothing came up except vacuum collapse. The only other scenarios are scenarios like the crunch, rip, heat freeze etc that is predicted far far from now.
    Do you remember the one about the lecturer who said it looks as though the Sun will destroy the Earth in about 4 billion years and someone in the audience freaked out and said “what?!.!” And the lecturer said “4 billion years”, and the same voice cried out “ oh thank goodness for a moment I thought you said 4 million years”
    It’s one of my favourite science jokes.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

So basically this dark flow or even the Radcliffe wave is causing this.
    Causing what? These are two completely different things.

how long till something at this distance reaches us?
    The dark flow (if it exists) is a systematic movement of galaxy clusters, including our own. It's not going to "reach us" because we are part of it. The Radcliffe Wave is already here - it's part of our galaxy, locally.

DARK MATTER CLUMP Dark matter is the heavy but invisible (and as yet undetected) stuff believed to hold galaxies together. If a clump passed near our sun, its pull could shake loose comets from the outer solar system, sending some of them crashing into Earth. Australia-based astronomer Kenji Bekki claims that one such passage happened millions of years ago, forming a ring of stars called Gould’s Belt. If a dark cloud headed right into (and through) Earth, that might have dire consequences too. In theory, dark matter particles could interact with each other, giving off gamma radiation. Afsar Abbas, a physicist in India, suggests that the radiation would not only cause a wave of mutations but also heat up Earth’s interior and trigger massive volcanism, leading to a double extinction. Odds: indeterminate. Dark matter is so elusive that an event could be starting right now and we might not know it.
    I don't even know where to start with this one, which is a mash-up of fact, speculation and wild speculation.

Just to say it again, for the umpteenth time: you should stop trying to get your science from click-bait websites, especially those that list "30 ways the world will end", and especially ones that preface their list with "Which of these doomsday scenarios do you find the most likely? Which obvious Armageddon did we miss?" Isn't it obvious that the person who wrote this is seeking to entertain and distract, rather than inform?

Grant Hutchison

I know the site is click bait I looked it up for the conversation I was having with shauna about unlikely scenarios. The link was just used as a reference for the ways earth can end and not the actual explanations. Which re-reading your post grant I juatvrealize you meant the same problem is not the scenarios but problem is the explanations.

Thank you all for your help
    Last edited by Sinbad; 2020-Jan-11 at 12:50 AM.