Thread: Supernova

Supernova

So what is the closest and biggest supernova ever to occur to the earth?

I know that the closest possibility any time now is Bellagueuse but would this become the biggest and closest when it goes or has a bigger one alsready occurred closer

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    So what is the closest and biggest supernova ever to occur to the earth?...
    Do you mean in recorded history? or will you accept one from before humans started writing things down accurately, but perhaps we have some isotope evidence for from millions or billions of years ago?
    Forming opinions as we speak

Sorry meant what we were aware of or possibly witnessed. I am curious since belleguese can go any time now if it would be the closest and biggest ever to occur near earth or if the hype is because it will happen in our lifetime .

SN 1054 is probably the closest supernova that was recorded, at 7200 lightyears away. (List of supernovas)
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Here's the history of supernovae where we have a surviving record of someone observing them. It looks like the closest one of these was SN393, at a distance of about 3,000 light years.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Cool So any day now when belleguese goes it would be the closest ever since it only 638 light years away

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    SN 1054 is probably the closest supernova that was recorded, at 7200 lightyears away. (List of supernovas)
    I see that Wikipedia's list of supernova page gives the distance to SN 393 as 34,000 light years, but the detailed page gives a revised estimate of the likely remnant as 3,000 light years instead.

Cool So any day now when belleguese goes it would be the closest ever since it only 638 light years away
    Yes. But remember that "any day now" in stellar time scales means that it could happen next year, or it could happen in 10,000 years or more. It would be pretty spectacular, but don't get your hopes up too high.

What do you mean don’t get your hopes up to high. Out of curiosity if we take away distance since belleguese would be closest and just look at size of the supernova would belleguese be the biggest record

What do you mean don’t get your hopes up to high.
    I think what Grey means is that it might not go nova for thousands of years, and so you personally may have to live a very long time to see it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Supernova

What do you mean donít get your hopes up to high. Out of curiosity if we take away distance since belleguese would be closest and just look at size of the supernova would belleguese be the biggest record
    No. Betelgeuse is about 20 times the mass of the sun. There was a supernova recorded in 2006 from a star that was between 100 and 200 the sunís mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jens; 2020-Jan-14 at 10:51 PM.
    As above, so below

11,000 years ago (roughly) there was a supernova which left the remnant called the Gum Nebula. This is centered about 1000 light years away, making it the closest relatively recent one. Certainly humans saw it.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I think what Grey means is that it might not go nova for thousands of years, and so you personally may have to live a very long time to see it.
    That is indeed exactly what I meant.

Is that closer or further than belleguese

Is that closer or further than belleguese
    If you are asking about the gum nebula, it's a little bit further than Betelgeuse, because Betelgeuse is (I think) about 650 light years away. And just incidentally, it isn't very hard to find, if you can use Google or Wikipedia.
    As above, so below

Thank you Jens