Thread: Recognizing Quarks...???

Recognizing Quarks...???

As data accumulated in the early sixties, about the chunky increases in masses of hadrons, a number of people made prescient comments. Not all of them received much credit, which can happen. Murray Gell-Mann and George Zweig published in early to mid January in 1964, but there was a paper in late December which goes pretty much unheralded by A. Petermann. The author makes a point. SEE:https://arxiv.org/pdf/2001.04843.pdf
    Last edited by trinitree88; 2020-Jan-15 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo

What sort of prescient comments? What point was made? I'm not going to dive blindly into a science paper and I don't understand the context of your post title and how it relates to what you want me to read.

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    What sort of prescient comments? What point was made? I'm not going to dive blindly into a science paper and I don't understand the context of your post title and how it relates to what you want me to read.

CJSF
    CJSF. The discovery of quarks is generally attributed to Gell-Mann and Zweig, with Abdus Salam getting some credit for also originating the idea at lunch at a conference with Gell-Mann asking the question of the moderator after lunch on the possibility of a triple strange particle...(the Omega Minus)....(parallel to Yuval Neeman's idea). this is the first reference to Peterman I've seen since 1962, in about 200,000 abstracts. Before screening Arxiv articles in Physics, Astrophysics, Nuclear Theory, Nuclear Experiments, Quantum Physics, High Energy Physics, High Energy Theory, and High Energy Phenomenology since ~ 1992, and I was reading hundreds of hours of Journals at Widener Library at MIT for a few decades. He was first on December 31, 1962. About two weeks earlier, while working at CERN and puiblishing in a peer reviewed journal. Odd.

SEE: Omega Minus
    SEE:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_baryon

pete
    Last edited by trinitree88; 2020-Jan-16 at 08:45 PM. Reason: link, typo