Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mars and Humans

Mars and Humans

So I read once that the way they landed humans on the moon they are now looking to land humans on Mars. A few questions?

1 . With all the other planets in our solar system why mars?
    2. How long would that flight take from earth to Mars?
    3. What would it take for humans to survive on Mars atmosphere?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    So I read once that the way they landed humans on the moon they are now looking to land humans on Mars. A few questions?

Thank you
    1. Mars is interesting because of the possibility that it might have had life in the past, and perhaps underground to this day. In addition it is relatively temperate compared to the searing heat on Venus and Mercury, and the bitter cold of the outer planets.

2. The crossing would take several months, and there would be a long wait before the orbital geometry is favorable for the return trip. I think a couple of years would be needed for a round trip, but don't bet the farm on my words.

3. We would need to compress the atmosphere in a suitable habitat and get supplemental oxygen from somewhere.

So if it could take years to come back and someone would reproduce then it would be a Martian ��

Depends on your definition I suppose but for me a Martian (or Jovian or Alpha Centaurian or fill_in_the_blank) would have to evolve on Mars, not merely be an import which would need tremendous help to survive the local conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Depends on your definition I suppose but for me a Martian (or Jovian or Alpha Centaurian or fill_in_the_blank) would have to evolve on Mars, not merely be an import which would need tremendous help to survive the local conditions.
    I suppose that depends on whether the current Martians have a system of jus soli.
    As above, so below

Not only is it relatively habitable, as compared to pretty much all the other planets and moons, but it is also quite reachable.

1] With the exception of Venus, it's the closest.
    2] It's gravity well is shallow - only .38 of Earth's - whereas Venus' is .9) Very fuel effective.
    3] Having at least some atmo means we have several options for aerobraking, which saves on fuel.

I'm an import from Olduvai Gorge, can I not lay claim to being a Canadian?

Well, if at some point in the future we were able to genetically engineer people to survive on the surface of Mars without suits, we could call them a new human subspecies—Homo sapiens martius?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

If it comes back to earth would it not get deported

Thank you
    1. Mars is arguably, the most Earthlike planet in our Solar System. It's close enough to be tempting; Venus is closer and more similar in mass, but it's surface is too dangerous. Also, we think Mars may have once had the conditions for life, if not the actual development of life.

2. Depending on the method of propulsion, months to a year. Which is a very long time for the human body to go without gravity and weight. Shortening the time of the trip by increasing the speed, and simulating weight by spin, are both desirable goals.

3. Mars' atmosphere is nearly a vacuum compared to Earth's air, and mostly composed of poisonous carbon dioxide. We cannot breathe it. We'd need to live in sealed air chambers on Mars, just as we would in space.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

What’s make it red if the atmosphere is closest to earths

What’s make it red if the atmosphere is closest to earths
    Not the atmosphere, that's not at all like ours.

The planet is terrestrial, has a similar day/night cycle, and we can walk on the surface. Those are the main similarities. It also seems to have once had water on it, but that's long gone except for some small amount of ice.

The red color is because Mars' surface rock contains a lot of iron oxide: rust, in other words.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

The atmosphere of Mars is reddish as well because of a somewhat unique circumstance exists where the particles of the air and in the air are such that red light is scattered far more than blue light, just the opposite as found for Earth's atmosphere. This is called selective scattering. Our sky is composed of particles smaller than the wavelength of visible light, so blue light is scattered much more than red light; it's a 4th power factor based on wavelength.

This is why our sky is blue and sunsets far more red. And it's why the Martian sky is red (carmel color?) and the sunset region blue.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    And it's why the Martian sky is red (carmel color?) and the sunset region blue.
    Carmel is a better word than “red”, it seems to slide around on a spectrum of pink-orange-cream based on how long it has been since the last dust storm.

So why do we see it red if it’s camel

Mars and Humans

You guys are killing me.
    CarAmel is the food and the color.
    Carmel is a town in California.
    Camel is an animal.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2020-Jan-17 at 06:21 PM.

Sorry, my accent tends to eat that “a” when I talk about the food or color, so when I spelled it like I think it sounds and spellcheck said it was right...

To my eyes with a telescope, the color looks more caramel than red.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Sorry, my accent tends to eat that “a” when I talk about the food or color, so when I spelled it like I think it sounds and spellcheck said it was right...
    Same here; two syllables can make for reasonable slang of three. Of course, many say "far" and it's understood as "fire", though context makes it obvious.

Interestingly, when Viking landed on Mars, NASA altered the image to show the sky as blue, based on a reasonable, but false, assumption. A first but gentle warning not to assume things about a different planet one wishes to inhabit.

So the planet is caramel with blue sky

You guys are killing me.
    CarAmel is the food and the color.
    Carmel is a town in California.
    Camel is an animal.
    Camel is a color too. And, oddly, very similar to caramel.

Actually now that you mention it yes

So the planet is caramel with blue sky
    No, the caramel color describes the bulk of the Martian sky, but the sky area around the Sun is blue. The reason for this is that the Martian atmosphere scatters red sunlight far more than blue sunlight, thus if you are on Mars and looking at the Martian sky away from the Sun, you will see the caramel color (more reds than blues, plus a mixture of the other colors, of course) but when you look toward the sky near the Sun, the reds have been scattered away more than the blues (same story) so the blues reach your eyes more than those reds. Just the opposite is true on Earth, surprisingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Camel is a color too. And, oddly, very similar to caramel.
    That's interesting. Which is favored in Carmel?

What’s Carmel?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    That's interesting. Which is favored in Carmel?
    Not likely the meat. https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...eat-camel-meat
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

The people in Carmel favor Caramel-colored Camels. (And my apologies for starting this hare, or at least giving it CPR.)

Back to the OP:

Has it been well-established that Earth-based vegetation can thrive in Martian soil? Would vegetables need UV shielding? Or, to put it another way, does The Martian novel and movie get it right that colonists would only need to introduce microbial life not found on Mars?

The people in Carmel favor Caramel-colored Camels. (And my apologies for starting this hare, or at least giving it CPR.)
    Thanks. This "georgeeze" version will keep me straight.

OK, enough with the jokes, enough with the color discussion. Let's stick with the topics of post 1 (below). If those have been answered, then we can just let this thread fade away.

Thank you
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Radiation is a big problem: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/life-unbounded/death-on-mars1/