Thread: A Mysterious Burst of Gravitational Waves Came From a Region Near Betelgeuse. But The

A Mysterious Burst of Gravitational Waves Came From a Region Near Betelgeuse. But The

Gravitational waves are caused by calamitous events in the Universe. Neutron stars that finally merge after circling each other for a long time can create them, and so can two black holes that collide with each other. But sometimes there’s a burst of gravitational waves that doesn’t have a clear cause. One such burst was …
    Continue reading "A Mysterious Burst of Gravitational Waves Came From a Region Near Betelgeuse. But There’s Probably No Connection"
    The post A Mysterious Burst of Gravitational Waves Came From a Region Near Betelgeuse. But There’s Probably No Connection appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

Must say the story is quite funny with the astronomer deciding to walk outside "just in case" something was going on.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

A quote from the article:
    Eventually, Betelgeuse will have burned enough of its hydrogen that its core will collapse, and it will explode as a supernova.
    No, the core will collapse when the heavier exothermic fusion products are used up in forming iron. Does Fraser read any of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Does Fraser read any of this?
    I doubt it. You might have better luck commenting on the UT site or contacting the author (Evan Gough). Here is a Twitter link:

https://twitter.com/evangough2?ref_s...twgr%5Eprofile

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser