Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New waves

New waves

I understand it was not belleguese but how can this just be a glitch, something would have caused it no

https://www.universetoday.com/144622...no-connection/

Yes, something in the same region of the sky as Betelgeuse must (edit: within the error limit of 1 event per 25 years) have caused it. But because people initially thought it might have been Betelgeuse, it's interesting to know that it's not Betelgeuse.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Jan-18 at 02:10 AM.

What else would cause something like this

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    What else would cause something like this
    Wait and see. People are looking. It's no big deal.

Grant Hutchison

This was about 10 degrees away from Betelgeuse. Discussion of what else might have caused it appears elsewhere in this forum. Short answer: a direct collision of two objects in this galaxy. One of them had to be a compact object (white dwarf, neutron star, or black hole) and the other one had to be less than 2000 miles in diameter (probably much less). This event probably happened less than 10,000 light years from here.
    Forming opinions as we speak

So this is a new event unknown to man, what could it be and what impact could it have to us on earth considering it’s calamitous
    Last edited by Sinbad; 2020-Jan-18 at 02:41 AM.

So this is a new event unknown to man, what could it be and what impact could it have to us on earth considering it’s calamitous
    It's an event that's not fully identified at present, but it probably involves things banging into each other or something exploding. It was presumably a calamity if you were standing next to it at the time, but it seems unlikely to have any noticeable effect on Earth.

Grant Hutchison

So this is a new event unknown to man, what could it be and what impact could it have to us on earth considering itís calamitous
    It doesnít matter if it is calamitous. If it had released neutrinos or gamma rays we would have seen them because they travel at basically the same speed as gravitational waves. So no effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

So this is nothing to worry about they have been detected before. Is this the closest they have ever been detected?isnt 10000 light years extremely close to us. Now if a gravitational wave hit the earth like now that means it s warning that something else is going to hit earth right?
    Last edited by Sinbad; 2020-Jan-18 at 11:52 AM.

So this is nothing to worry about they have been detected before. Is this the closest they have ever been detected?isnt 10000 light years extremely close to us. Now if a gravitational wave hit the earth like now that means it s warning that something else is going to hit earth right?
    No more so than with supernovae we have seen at similar distances.

Well if a supernova would hit us from that distance would it not be dangerous to earth and us. This is my confusion I do not fully understand gravitational waves. From my understanding a gravitational wave is an early warning sign of something coming towards us is a bad way. And 10000 light years is extremely close to us.
    Last edited by Sinbad; 2020-Jan-18 at 01:15 PM.

... From my understanding a gravitational wave is an early warning sign of something coming towards us is a bad way. ...
    ??? I'm not sure where that idea came from. A gravitational wave is just a gravitational wave. It gets generated when massive object accelerate (such as during a collision). For the vast majority (about 97%) of the GWs detected so far, nothing detectable has come our way, and of the remaining 3% what came our way was a brief small signal of gamma rays and x-rays.
    Forming opinions as we speak

My apologies my understanding was that since this is unknown and it is so close it poses a danger to us.

Well if a supernova would hit us from that distance would it not be dangerous to earth and us. This is my confusion I do not fully understand gravitational waves. From my understanding a gravitational wave is an early warning sign of something coming towards us is a bad way. And 10000 light years is extremely close to us.
    What antoniseb said about gravitational waves - one of the nice things about gravitational wave detection is that it lets us detect stuff that we would otherwise never know about. So pretty much the opposite of heralding danger.
    And 10000 light years is actually a very large distance, not "extremely close" at all. A supernova at that distance would be interesting, but not dangerous.

Grant Hutchison

My apologies my understanding was that since this is unknown and it is so close it poses a danger to us.
    I just donít understand why you could possibly think that 10,000 light years is close to us...

Do you understand that a centimeter and a light year are different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

If you could identify the sources that are giving you these ideas, we might have an easier time debunking them. Don't let every piece of bad writing in the popular media or in unmoderated websites scare the bejeebers out of you.

My apologies but I have no understanding of this and the fact it is unknown makes me feel as though it can be a bad thing. I am not sure how the waves work I know it has to due with supernovas, neutron stars and black holes. This event seems to be new and has no explanation so it made me feel a little worried about it. Since I know nothing about how waves work then I am not sure what to think.

And I am not sure the distance of 10000 light years and to me it seems to close for comfort.

My apologies but I have no understanding of this and the fact it is unknown makes me feel as though it can be a bad thing. I am not sure how the waves work I know it has to due with supernovas, neutron stars and black holes. This event seems to be new and has no explanation so it made me feel a little worried about it. Since I know nothing about how waves work then I am not sure what to think.

And I am not sure the distance of 10000 light years and to me it seems to close for comfort.
    Einstein predicted this gravitational wave radiation a century ago, and we just now have instruments that can detect the slight jiggling that happens when they reach us. Once again, this is not a new type of event, just a newly observable one. Surely they have been going on throughout cosmic history.

Can you tell us your sources for the idea that there is no explanation? Once again, we can help you debunk bad sources if they are identified.

The original article said it’s a new type of event that is unexplained? Also I still have trouble how many earth years would 10000 light years be.

The original article said it’s a new type of event that is unexplained?
    We've only been able to detect gravitational waves for a couple of years, so it's completely unsurprising that we're seeing stuff we haven't seen before, and which we can't at present associate with a particular astronomical process.
    I'd recommend you try to stop interpreting "new" and "unexplained" as in some way implying "sinister".

The Also I still have trouble how many earth years would 10000 light years be.
    As I've mentioned before, a light year is a very long distance, not a time period. The distance to the nearest star is a little under five light years, so 10000 light years is two thousand times farther - it would get you more than a third of the way to the centre of the galaxy.

Grant Hutchison

In round numbers a light year is about 5.8 trillion miles - 5,870,000,000,000 or about 9,500,000,000,000 kms.

https://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs...uestion19.html

And this may be helpful...

https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/light-year/en/

As I mentioned before I apologize for my reactions I do not understand enough to know better that is why I am here. Can you please explain to me why there is no need to worry about this also also how far a light year is for me as your star example 5 light years is close. How long would it take us to reach that said star. Also 10000 light years the. How long before something coming from that distance reaches us here.

As I mentioned before I apologize for my reactions I do not understand enough to know better that is why I am here. Can you please explain to me why there is no need to worry about this ...
    Just reread what's already been said in this thread. People have been explaining why you shouldn't worry.

... also also how far a light year is for me as your star example 5 light years is close. How long would it take us to reach that said star. Also 10000 light years the. How long before something coming from that distance reaches us here.
    Five light years is not close - it's very far away. It would take us tens of thousands of years to travel that distance with our present technology. Ten thousand light years is monstrously far away. It would take light ten thousand years to cover that distance, which is the fastest anything could get here. Most things don't move anywhere near the speed of light, and so would take millions of years to cross that distance.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Jan-18 at 05:34 PM.

My apologies again thank you all for you explaining

There's no need to apologize. You just seem to be worrying unnecessarily about astronomical events that are very far away and barely detectible with sensitive instruments.

Grant Hutchison

My biggest confusion is how they understand what every wave came from except this one.

My biggest confusion is how they understand what every wave came from except this one.
    Because they haven't been doing it for long. It would be amazing if they were able to predict, in advance, what gravitational waves from all possible astronomical events would look like. It's good that they're seeing stuff they don't understand, because that means they're finding out new stuff.

Grant Hutchison

So does that mean that every wave takes time like this to figure out I was under the impression once they see one they know exactly what it’s from

So does that mean that every wave takes time like this to figure out I was under the impression once they see one they know exactly what it’s from
    It turns out that most of the gravitational waves detected have been a match for theoretical models that had already been explored - so it was a matter of comparing the detected signal to existing models and saying "Ah-ha, yes, we're pretty sure we know what that is."
    On this occasion, the gravitational wave signal is being described as an "unmodelled burst" - so it's not the kind of signal that has already been explored theoretically in advance. Therefore, it needs to be analysed and checked against new simulations of different kinds of astronomical events. And that takes time.

It's like birdwatching - because I've read a lot of books about birds, I can often see a new bird and quickly know what it is because of my pre-existing theoretical knowledge. But occasionally I see a bird and have no idea what I'm looking at - so I note down the important features and go off to look at the books. What I don't do is assume that seeing a bird I don't recognize means that my home town is being invaded by a mysterious new species unknown to science.

Grant Hutchison

So if no one is sure what it is ,how does it’s nothing to worry about come Into play