Thread: Magnesium goes black?

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France

Magnesium goes black?

I have been experimenting with hydrogen water using a test tube with Malic acid and a pure magnesium rod. The reaction produces hydrogen but the rod forms a black coating. This limits the reaction time, but what magnesium compound is black? I use tapwater so iron might be involved and chlorine too. (There was a published study using hydrogen water to improve type two D)
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I found this old reference about the reaction of magnesium with organic vapors. Maybe you decomposed the malic acid to some sort of black carbon compound.

Sometimes very tiny particles of either metals or metal oxides can look black.

Beyond that, I don't know exactly what is going on. For one, what is "hydrogen water"?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Hydrogen water is normal water that has molecular hydrogen dissolved in it, similar to CO2 dissolved in water to make carbonated water. Apparently it's a new health fad. Proponents claim it has a variety of benefits such as reducing inflammation. There is little to no evidence to support the claims.

It is not my intent at all to suggest that the OP thinks any such thing. Just relating what little I know about hydrogen water.

Perhaps manganese? My well water is heavy with it, as well as iron. The system prefilter is black with ‘em.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I have been experimenting with hydrogen water using a test tube with Malic acid and a pure magnesium rod. The reaction produces hydrogen but the rod forms a black coating. This limits the reaction time, but what magnesium compound is black? I use tapwater so iron might be involved and chlorine too. (There was a published study using hydrogen water to improve type two D)
    profloater. Scrape some of the black coating off with a razor blade, box cutter, or sharp knife. Add to a clear glass container, with Distilled water only, and some white vinegar. The acetic acid in the vinegar will dissolve it if iron, making a reddish-yellow tinged solution. Then add some fresh tea. the tannic acid in the tea will preciptitate iron tannate, which is how American colonists made cheap ink. It's black.

SEE:https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9950&FORM=VIRE
    pete
    Last edited by trinitree88; 2020-Jan-22 at 12:20 AM. Reason: link/video,clarify

Quote Originally Posted by trinitree88 View Post
    profloater. Scrape some of the black coating off with a razor blade, box cutter, or sharp knife. Add to a clear glass container, with Distilled water only, and some white vinegar. The acetic acid in the vinegar will dissolve it if iron, making a yellow tinged solution. Then add some fresh tea. the tannic acid in the tea will preciptitate iron tannate, which is how American colonists made cheap ink. It's black.

SEE:https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9950&FORM=VIRE
    pete
    Thanks, I will try that.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I found this old reference about the reaction of magnesium with organic vapors. Maybe you decomposed the malic acid to some sort of black carbon compound.

Sometimes very tiny particles of either metals or metal oxides can look black.

Beyond that, I don't know exactly what is going on. For one, what is "hydrogen water"?
    Thanks, the malic acid could form carbon, I guess, I did not expect that in the half equations.
    Well, I heard about hydrogen water or hydrogenated water at Christmas and had to look it up. I found a reference to Japanese research. It is apparently known in Japan as a medicine. The study is easy to find searching "hydrogen water diabetes" or I can post a link. In the published study type 2 diabetes patients made significant improvement after 90 days drinking the stuff. You can only get about 4 ppm in cold water and it then has a slight acid taste. It's new to me but there are other references and several to products in the US that you add to the water supply (electrolysis). I used the malic acid method for cheapness. I put a test tube with a leaky cork into a closed water container, about a pint at a time. In the fridge it takes half an hour to work. I control my type 2 by diet only and this might help, maybe.
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Perhaps manganese? My well water is heavy with it, as well as iron. The system prefilter is black with ‘em.
    Yes we expect to find manganese with iron in the tap water and it may react with the malic acid. It's very black, so maybe it is carbon as Swift suggests. If it is carbon the rod should keep working, I guess, as an electron donor, but it's easy to scrape off.
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    Hydrogen water is normal water that has molecular hydrogen dissolved in it, similar to CO2 dissolved in water to make carbonated water. Apparently it's a new health fad. Proponents claim it has a variety of benefits such as reducing inflammation. There is little to no evidence to support the claims.

It is not my intent at all to suggest that the OP thinks any such thing. Just relating what little I know about hydrogen water.
    I scoffed when I heard about it, but felt obliged to check, and there is at least one human study from Japan and others in animals. If I survive the experiment I hope I can report back!
    sicut vis videre esto

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19083400
    the reference above is to the Japanese paper I mentioned.
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I scoffed when I heard about it, but felt obliged to check, and there is at least one human study from Japan and others in animals. If I survive the experiment I hope I can report back!
    Fascinating! I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread. Best of luck.