Thread: Possible planets to visit

Possible planets to visit

So I know Mars is currently being looked into in the next couple of years for a hum visit, are there other planets nearby on the radar for this

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    So I know Mars is currently being looked into in the next couple of years for a hum visit, are there other planets nearby on the radar for this
    I would say no other planets. The only other body in the solar system that people are considering having humans visit in the next decade or so is the Moon. There also also been a little thought about humans visiting a near-Earth asteroid. Everything else is either much further away and/or too inhospitable for humans to visit without vast improvements in technology.

Robot probes however have visited every planet and lots of other bodies in the other system, and will continue to do so.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

But I thought not much we can do on the moon

But I thought not much we can do on the moon
    The Moon might be good for mining and manufacturing. I don't think there's much needs for humans to go there in quantity, but having low gravity and no atmosphere can be a plus, and it is practically made of Aluminum, Titanium, Iron, and Oxygen, and has plentiful sunshine to power operations. The same can be said for most near Earth asteroids, and they have even less of a gravity well to escape.
    Forming opinions as we speak

So you said titanium does that mean my titanium ring is from outer space

Titanium is also found on Earth.

ADDED: To clarify, we don't yet have any mining of materials from space. Some proposals have been put forth but no solid plans. Maybe someday.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2020-Jan-22 at 06:09 PM.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Everything is from "outer space". To be more specific, almost all elements formed in the cores of stars or formed when stars exploded. The process by which these elements formed is called stellar nucleosynthesis. When stars explode these elements are cast into space where, a few billion years later, they coalesce from a molecular cloud back into stars and planets. And, eventually, us.

Only a few very elements formed after the Big Bang - hydrogen, helium and a tiny bit of lithium. The hydrogen eventually clumped into regions where star formation could occur as gravity pulled the atoms of hydrogen together.

And that's the abridged version.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2020-Jan-22 at 06:47 PM. Reason: typo

I predict Lunar lunacy will transpire for Moon trips if prices are close to reasonable. The novelty and historical flavoring will burst greater than seen in a Starburst commercial. I'll go if the have a nice scope ready for me, say, 100m.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Yes but how long would it take for us to have these trips

Mars is the only remotely practical planet for humans to visit in the "near" future.

For robotic exploration, I vote for Uranus and Neptune. They are the least visited of all the planets, even if you include Pluto. Sure, they LOOK boring, but who knows what we might find?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yes but how long would it take for us to have these trips
    Well, it won't happen for years, at least no one is actually trying to get there yet. And the mission itself would most likely be several years in duration.

I thought that it is being worked on to happen in the next 10 years or so?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_mission_to_Mars

The Wikipedia link has a pretty good collection of plans, goals, aspirations, wishful thinking and dreams, not the least of which is SpaceX and Elon Musk's fantasy of landing people on Mars by 2024. Now, I like SpaceX and Musk's lofty ambitions, but he hasn't hasn't met a date yet in anything he has done, and I think the really hard tasks still lie ahead for Starship, such as actually launching one and building more.

NASA has set out a goal to land humans on Mars by 2030 but there is no specific mission timetable, equipment design, or engineering plans to do so (and let's not even consider engineering contracts). For instance:

The United States has several robotic missions currently exploring Mars, with a sample-return planned for the future. The Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle (MPCV) is intended to serve as the launch/splashdown crew delivery vehicle, with a Deep Space Habitat module providing additional living-space for the 16-month-long journey. The first crewed Mars Mission, which would include sending astronauts to Mars, orbiting Mars, and a return to Earth, is proposed for the 2030s.[1][113][114][115] Technology development for US government missions to Mars is underway, but there is no well-funded approach to bring the conceptual project to completion with human landings on Mars by the mid-2030s, the stated objective.[116] NASA is under presidential orders to land humans on Mars by 2033, and NASA-funded engineers are studying a way to build potential human habitats there by producing bricks from pressurized Martian soil.[117]

The European Space Agency has a long-term goal to send humans but has not yet built a crewed spacecraft. It has sent robotic probes like ExoMars in 2016 and plans to send the next probe in 2020.

Not worked on, no. There's proposals, but no one is actively doing anything to go there.