Thread: Saturn distance to earth

Saturn distance to earth

So Saturn’s distance is 1.6433 billion km from earth.

With our current technology how long would it take us to travel there?
    Now add a little of the wall. If we were able to travel the speed of light how long to reach Saturn?

The Cassini probe took nearly 7 years to get to Saturn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassini%E2%80%93Huygens

That was because it took a long route to get their - I assume to minimise fuel uses by exploiting "gravitational slingshots" around other planets. And maybe the need to arrive slow enough to enter an orbit easily.

The Voyager probes took just over 3 years to get to Saturn: https://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs...uestion44.html

More here: https://www.universetoday.com/15312/...get-to-saturn/

Aso, the distance to Saturn varies depending on relative orbital positions.

It takes about 90 minutes for light (or radio signals) to arrive from Saturn.

If you’d like to read some sci fi which is largely based in fact and relies on technology available today, try Stephen Baxter’s Titan, about a journey to Saturn’s moon. The story addresses the challenges that a crew would face on such a long trip.

That’s pretty close considering it’s the furthest planet from us here

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    That’s pretty close considering it’s the furthest planet from us here
    Not sure how you are arriving at that. Neptune and Uranus are further. Neptune roughly twice as far, Uranus three times. Then there are the dwarf planets Pluto, Eris, Makemake, Haumea which are a great deal further. (Google Wikipedia for more information on any of these.)

My google search said that

Search Results
    Featured snippet from the web
    Saturn
    The farthest planet from Earth discovered by the unaided human eye, Saturn has been known since ancient times.Dec 19, 2019
    https://solarsystem.nasa.gov › in...
    In Depth | Saturn – NASA Solar System Exploration

Remarks and emphasis added for clarity:

The farthest planet from Earth [to have been] discovered by the unaided human eye, Saturn has been known since ancient times.
    Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, and farther/dimmer objects were discovered telescopically.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

... With our current technology how long would it take us to travel there?...
    By us, do you mean all the people on this forum as passengers? (we can't do that with our current technology).
    If you simply mean send a tiny (a few kilograms of payload) probe to Saturn that doesn't have to slow down when it gets there using rockets and equipment that we have already built, we could probably get that probe to Saturn in a two months.
    We would need our biggest rockets (Falcon 9 Heavy?) with a booster on top, launching an ion drive powered craft full of Xenon with several RTGs to power it.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    If you’d like to read some sci fi which is largely based in fact and relies on technology available today, try Stephen Baxter’s Titan, about a journey to Saturn’s moon. The story addresses the challenges that a crew would face on such a long trip.
    I would caution that I found that book to be pretty bleak and depressing. It isn’t all bad, there were some interesting technical bits and the end of the book pulled back just a little from the bleakness, but I wouldn’t want to read it again.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Eclogite View Post
    Not sure how you are arriving at that. Neptune and Uranus are further. Neptune roughly twice as far, Uranus three times.
    It's the other way around. Uranus is about twice as far as Saturn and Neptune is about three times as far.

Quote Originally Posted by skysurfer5cva View Post
    It's the other way around. Uranus is about twice as far as Saturn and Neptune is about three times as far.
    Absolutely. Thank you for the correction. Pure carelessness on my part.

So what is the furthest planet? And how long would travel time be

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I would caution that I found that book to be pretty bleak and depressing. It isn’t all bad, there were some interesting technical bits and the end of the book pulled back just a little from the bleakness, but I wouldn’t want to read it again.
    Uh, yeah, what he said.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I feel like that would be something you could just look up on wikipedia.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by skysurfer5cva View Post
    We can change that!

https://xkcd.com/2258/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neptune is considered the furthest full planet. Beyond that are the Trans-Neptunian dwarf-planets such as Pluto.

To reach Neptune, depending on the propulsion technology used, would probably take at least a decade or more.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

For example New Horizons, on a fly-by mission, launched in January of 2006, crossed Saturn's orbit 2.5 years later in June 2008, and then went through Neptune's orbit in August 2014:

New Horizons crossed the orbit of Neptune at 10:04 p.m. EDT on August 25, 2014, with the spacecraft nearly 2.75 billion miles (4.4 billion kilometers) from Earth. New Horizons, which launched in January 2006, reached Neptune’s orbit distance in record time. Neptune itself was 2.48 billion miles (nearly 4 billion kilometers) from New Horizons – nearly 27 times the distance between the Earth and our Sun – at the time. New Horizons, which was “awake” for its annual checkout, snapped some long-distance photos of Neptune and its planet-sized moon Triton on July 10, 2014.
    It's a nice site under the link which lets you see when New Horizons passed each planet - or went through its orbit.