Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is amazing pictures from start of universe

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    Just started to hit us? Where did you get that idea. The CMB has been passing through our space since 380,000 years after the big bang. It is simply that we were unable to detect it until we started listening. All it is is photons that have been redshifted from Ultraviolet into the microwaves. The wavelength of that light has been gradually getting redder for 13.8 billion years. We are sure that no remnant of the big bang is about to "hit us".
    How are we so sure it’s not remanants just making its way into our galaxy from then. We have just reached the point that we are being hit with 13.8 billions years of light.

I am sorry I am not grasping the concept
    Logically speaking if we are just getting hit now with what happened 13.8 years ago then we age getting hit with what started it all
    13.8 billion years ago. Which we have no ideas what is coming then?
    Last edited by Sinbad; 2020-Jan-23 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    So anything from the moment of the Big Bang is still 380000 years away?
    No. You, and everything around you, is made of stuff created in the big bang.

The radiation that they are talking about in the video is here now. And always has been.

So anything from the moment of the Big Bang is still 380000 years away?
    What are you talking about? How are you visualizing this situation? The big bang happened here, and everywhere else in the universe, not just some place distant from here. That picture that you started this thread with is an all-sky image of the temperature of the background sky with stars and galaxies subtracted out, looking in every direction. It is everywhere, and nothing from the moment of the big bang is coming in our direction. It is already here, and has been since the beginning.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Logically speaking if we are just getting hit now with what happened 13.8 years ago then we age getting hit with what started it all 13.8 billion years ago.
    Well, 380,000 years after it started.

Which we have no ideas what is coming then?
    We know exactly what is coming: radio waves.

So there is nothing else but radio waves hitting us now then? Or if radio waves travelled the speed of light so is what. Aided the beginning of the universe is hitting us also

The part that confuses me is where it was posted in this thread we are just getting hit now with light of the big bang

Maybe this visualization will help....

Imagine that the universe is just a big room. 13 billion years ago that room was really, really hot (and everywhere in that room it was really, really hot). Over time, the room has cooled down; in fact it has cooled down a lot so that there is only a very tiny amount of heat left from 13 billion years ago. We're sitting in that room (we've been sitting there a long time). That left over heat has been there for as long as we've been sitting there, in fact it was there well before we came into existence in that room. In the 1960s we figured out what the cause of that tiny amount of heat. It was always there, but we didn't even really realize it, nor know what caused it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Let me try to explain my logic so you see what I see.

Universe is 13.8 billion years old. We just started getting hit with what happened 13.8 years ago so it is new hitting earth which is the age of the universe so we have just now started getting hit with how the universe started?

... The part that confuses me is where it was posted in this thread we are just getting hit now with light of the big bang
    I don't know where that was posted, but it is misleading. the light (microwaves now) from the big bang have been going through our space since 380,000 years after the big bang, and ever since, and forever going forward. The only difference (as Swift just pointed out), is that the light we detect now is coming from slightly further way, but was emitted at the same time as all the other CMB light that has ever passed us.

Universe is 13.8 billion years old. We just started getting hit with what happened 13.8 years ago so it is new hitting earth which is the age of the universe so we have just now started getting hit with how the universe started?
    No. There is nothing newly hitting the Earth from the Big Bang.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

You see the way I see it is simple univers is 13.8 billions years old, we are now getting hit with remanents of that. 2 billon years ago we got hit with what happened 2 billion years ago when universe was 11.i billon years old not 13 billion which is the age now so we are now getting hit with what happened when the universe started 13.8 billions years ago

No. We have always been hit by this radiation. It has not just started. (I'm sure I have said this a few times already.)

I understand but not from radiation from when the universe started

You see the way I see it is simple univers is 13.8 billions years old, we are now getting hit with remanents of that. 2 billon years ago we got hit with what happened 2 billion years ago when universe was 11.i billon years old not 13 billion which is the age now so we are now getting hit with what happened when the universe started 13.8 billions years ago
    Not quite. 2 billion years ago, we would have been hit with radiation from what happened 11.8 billion years before that (13.8 billion years ago).

I understand but not from radiation from when the universe started
    Yes. That radiation has always been all around us. Because the big bang happened everywhere, not at some distant point.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Not quite. 2 billion years ago, we would have been hit with radiation from what happened 11.8 billion years before that (13.8 billion years ago).
    True but that was not from the bringing of the universe cause that was 11.8 b years ago vs the age of universe 13.8

True but that was not from the bringing of the universe cause that was 11.8 b years ago vs the age of universe 13.8
    Eh?

2 billion years ago, the event ("recombination") that released the radiation happened 11.8 billion years before that; ie. 13.8 billion years ago. That is when the radiation reaching the Earth then was released. It is also the time that the radiation now reaching the earth was released.

All the CMB radiation, wherever you are and whenever you measure it, was released at the same time.

Yes but 11.8 billions years ago what reached us was when universe was 11.8 billion years old not 13.8. Now what is reaching us is from the current age 13.8 not from 11.8 billion so not from beginning of universe

Think of it what hit us 2 billion years ago was not from the beginning because that was 11.8 years after and not the current age of 13.8 so anything hitting us not is from beginning of the universe and not 2 b years before that example what hit us 2 b years ago
    Last edited by Sinbad; 2020-Jan-23 at 05:12 PM.

Yes but 11.8 billions years ago what reached us was when universe was 11.8 billion years old not 13.8. Now what is reaching us is from the current age 13.8 not from 11.8 billion so not from beginning of universe
    You have changed the numbers.

(11.8 billion years ago, the universe was 2 billion years old, not 11.8.)

11.8 billion years ago, the universe was 2 billion years old. The radiation that reached the Earth (or the place where the Earth would be if it existed that long ago) then was released 2 billion years earlier. From 380,000 years after the beginning of the universe; ie. 13.8 billion years ago.

2 billion years ago (which is what you initially said), the universe was 11.8 billion years old. The radiation that reached the Earth then was released 11.8 billion years earlier. From 380,000 years after the beginning of the universe; ie. 13.8 billion years ago.

Now, the universe is 13.8 billion years old. The radiation that reaches the Earth now was released 13.8 billion years earlier. From 380,000 years after the beginning of the universe; ie. 13.8 billion years ago.

The radiation was all released at the same time (but at different distances).

Yes but what reached us 2 b years ago was not from the beginning of the universe because the universe is 13.8 b years old so if what hit us now is from 13.8 b years ago it is from the beginning and what hit us 2b year ago was not from the beginning. So for the first time we are being hit from something from the beginning of the universe

Yes but what reached us 2 b years ago was not from the beginning of the universe because the universe is 13.8 b years old so if what hit us now if from 13.8 b years ago it is from the beginning and what hit us 2b year ago was not from the beginning.
    Yes it was.

The radiation that hits the Earth now is 13.8 billion years old (ie. it started out 13.8 billion years ago).

The radiation that hit the Earth 2 billion years ago was 11.8 billion years old (ie. it started out 13.8 billion years ago; in other words, 11.8 billion years before reaching the earth 2 billion years ago: 11.8 + 2 = 13.8).

Yes but what hit us 2b years ago was not from beginning of universe because 13.8b - 2b is 11.8 b

What hit us now is from the beginning because it’s the actual age 13.8b

Also What I don’t get is what just started hitting us recently from the beginning of the universe or when will remanents for The beginning Reach us

Also when will something at the edge of the universe reach us, that is also reaching us now? Right
    Last edited by Sinbad; 2020-Jan-23 at 05:53 PM.

Yes but what hit us 2b years ago was not from beginning of universe because 13.8b - 2b is 11.8 b
    But at that time, the age of the universe was 11.8 billion years. The light that hit us was 11.8 billion years old. It therefore came from the beginning of the universe.

What hit us now is from the beginning because it’s the actual age 13.8b
    The universe is now 13.8 billion years old. The light that is hitting us now is 13.8 billion years old. It therefore also came from the beginning of the universe.

(I don't like the term "beginning of the universe" because we don't know there was any such thing. But we have bigger problems right now!)

Let's try an analogy. (Did you look at the diagram for the "surface of last screaming" analogy; that might help explain how we can continuosly receive light from the same point in time: the beginning of the universe.)

Imagine a snail is born and, on the day it is born, we plant 100 trees in a line, each 1 mile apart. The snail starts walking ("walking"? sliding?) in a straight line at 1 mile per year (I think snails are quicker than that, but never mind).

After 1 year, the snail encounters a tree that is 1 year old. After 2 years, the snail encounters a tree that is 2 years old. And so on.

After 11 years, it encounters a tree that is 11 years old. That tree came from the beginning of the snail's universe.

After 13 years, it encounters a tree that is 13 years old. That tree came from the beginning of the snail's universe.

And so on. Similarly, the radiation we receive in the CMB is of increasing age as the universe ages. It all came from the same day when the trees were planted the universe became transparent to light.

What do you mean bigger problems right now

(I don't like the term "beginning of the universe" because we don't know there was any such thing. But we have bigger problems right now!)

Also when will something at the edge of the universe reach us, that is also reaching us now? Right

Yes but what hit us 2b years ago was not from beginning of universe...
    Yes it was. Just 2 by younger.

What hit us now is from the beginning because itís the actual age 13.8b
    You're looking at the total timeline. What hit us now, or 2 billion years ago, was from the beginning.

Also What I donít get is what just started hitting us recently from the beginning of the universe or when will remnants for The beginning Reach us for example what is at the edge of the universe now?
    There is no "recent." As has been pointed out above the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation has been "hitting" the Earth (or where the Earth would eventually exist) since 380,000 years after the Big Bang.

And here's the hard part to grasp (and you aren't alone) - there is no edge to the universe. It's not a ball.

Just curious, but besides clickbait sites what else are you reading to gain knowledge about astronomy? You might try sites like the Planetary Society, just to mention one. Or good numerous videos on Youtube.

... What hit us now is from the beginning because it’s the actual age 13.8b

Also What I don’t get is what just started hitting us recently from the beginning of the universe or when will remanents for The beginning Reach us

From 380,000 years after the big bang to now, and for the rest of time, all of the CMBR photons passing through this space are from 380,000 years after the big bang. We are NOT progressively seeing further into the past, we are just seeing CMBR from slightly different places but all from the same time. We will never see photons from before that time, because that is the moment that the universe first became transparent and let the light escape.

What do you mean bigger problems right now
    Helping you to understand that the CMB has always been there and that it has always been from the same time (the "beginning of the universe").

Also when will something at the edge of the universe reach us, that is also reaching us now?
    There is no edge of the universe. However, there is a limit to the amount of the universe we can see, defined by the time it takes light to reach us. That is the "observable universe".

So the most distant light that we can see is reaching us now and has taken 13.8 billion light years to get here. That is the microwave background (CMB). We cannot receive light from the 380,000 years before that, because the universe was opaque before then.

We could, in principle, see neutrinos from that earliest 380,000 years except they are very hard to detect. We may have technology to detect them in future and that might tell us more about the very early universe.

I am so confused? What is actually reaches us right now has always been reaching us,

But what is it that haven’t reached us that is about to since we are now getting things from the beginning

What exactly is about to reach us.

I am so confused? What is actually reaches us right now has always been reaching us,
    Yes, and no. Radiation (from the big bang) has always been reaching us. But it is not the same radiation.

When you turn on a light in your room, you get light hitting you continuously. It is the "same light" because it is from the same source; but it is not the exact same waves or photons of light as in the past.

But what is it that haven’t reached us that is about to since we are now getting things from the beginning
    We have always been receiving radiation from the beginning (that has now passed us by).

We are now receiving radiation from the beginning.

We will continue to get radiation from the beginning (that hasn't arrived yet, it is still on its way to us from further way).

What exactly is about to reach us.
    Radio waves. The same sort of radio waves that have always been reaching us.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Yes, and no. Radiation (from the big bang) has always been reaching us. But it is not the same radiation.

When you turn on a light in your room, you get light hitting you continuously. It is the "same light" because it is from the same source; but it is not the exact same waves or photons of light as in the past.

We have always been receiving radiation from the beginning (that has now passed us by).

We are now receiving radiation from the beginning.

We will continue to get radiation from the beginning (that hasn't arrived yet, it is still on its way to us from further way).

Radio waves. The same sort of radio waves that have always been reaching us.
    So there is nothing new about to reach us that we haven’t seen before or haven’t reached us before that we are unaware of then?

So there is nothing new about to reach us that we haven’t seen before or haven’t reached us before then
    Exactly.

(Well, unless something unknown and unexpected happens!)