Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is amazing pictures from start of universe

This is amazing pictures from start of universe

This is amazing how they have just discovered this? Why effect do these signals have on us that they are currently hitting the earth now?

Well atleast I think they did? Or considering the source is this another article that has flawed information

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.expr...d-wmap-spt/amp
    Last edited by Sinbad; 2020-Jan-23 at 02:42 PM.

I think the only thing new here is the Amazon TV show.

As it says on the video caption "scientists made an accidental breakthrough in this theory in the Sixties". That was when Penzias and Wilson first detected the cosmic microwave background (CMB) which confirmed the big bang model, and was the final nail in the coffin of the various steady state models that were around at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I think the only thing new here is the Amazon TV show.

As it says on the video caption "scientists made an accidental breakthrough in this theory in the Sixties". That was when Penzias and Wilson first detected the cosmic microwave background (CMB) which confirmed the big bang model, and was the final nail in the coffin of the various steady state models that were around at the time.
    So these light remenents starting hitting earth in the 1960’s or have they been hitting earth a lot longer and they were only detected in the 60’s?

This is amazing pictures from start of universe

The content of the story isnít too bad. But the tone makes it seem that Penzias and Wilson were in the right place at the right time to intercept the CMB radiation. But CMB radiation is not an event, like a nova. The CMB pervades the universe, ready for sampling at any time. And itís been around for 13 billion years, give or take.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    So these light remenents starting hitting earth in the 1960’s or have they been hitting earth a lot longer and they were only detected in the 60’s?
    They have been hitting the Earth for as long as it has existed; the radiation has been around for about 13 billion years (and still is). So it was only detected in the 60s (or, perhaps more accurately, only identified in the 60s). Since then there have been enormous advances in measuring the exact spectrum of the radiation, which can give us a lot of information about the early universe.

Oh in that case nothing interesting to see here carry on.

Why would they post an article today that this is a important crucial find

Earwax removal.

Iím convinced that most of these schlocky so-called news sites are just shills for the giant ear wax removal industry.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Earwax removal.

I’m convinced that most of these schlocky so-called news sites are just shills for the giant ear wax removal industry.
    Your comment went right over my head lol

Oh in that case nothing interesting to see here carry on.

Why would they post an article today that this is a important crucial find
    Publicising a new TV series.

So basically what the article is stating is that in 1960’s light reaches earth from the Big Bang era. But from what I have read responded it was not light from Big Bang and what they found has been hitting earth a long time.

So how much longer before light from Big Bang travels and reaches us? Or anything from Big Bang

So basically what the article is stating is that in 1960’s light reaches earth from the Big Bang era.
    What the article is saying is that an Amazon TV program documents how the CMB from the big bang was first detected in the '60s and that since then we have discovered more and more about it.

But from what I have read responded it was not light from Big Bang and what they found has been hitting earth a long time.
    No, it is the first light released after the big bang. The universe was opaque for about 360,000 years until it cooled enough for the light to be released. The light has been travelling through space since then. The "light" (*) we are receiving now was released about 13 billion years ago.

(*) Actually, microwaves, because of the expansion of the universe.

So basically what the article is stating is that in 1960’s light reaches earth from the Big Bang era. But from what I have read responded it was not light from Big Bang and what they found has been hitting earth a long time.

So how much longer before light from Big Bang travels and reaches us? Or anything from Big Bang
    The CMB, light from the "big bang", is all around us. It pervades the entire universe, in every place. it doesn't "reach us", it was always here, there, and everywhere.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

So we are being hit right now with the explosion that occurred at the Big Bang

I smell danger lol

So we are being hit right now with the explosion that occurred at the Big Bang
    At the time it was emitted, the universe was about 4,000K (pretty much 4,000ļC). The radiation we now detect has a temperature of about 2.7K (ie. just 2.7 degrees above absolute zero). So a pretty cool explosion, in both senses of the word. (But note that the big bang was not an "explosion" in any conventional sense of the word.)

How long have we been being hit with revenants of the Big Bang. Did it just start or have we been getting hit for a while now. I am trying to grasp the concept. The way I understand and is that anything that happened during the Big Bang has just started to reach us here on earth. So my question is why exactly is hitting us, radiation, broken asteroids etc. And how does that or can this now affect us?

How long have we been being hit with revenants of the Big Bang. Did it just start or have we been getting hit for a while now. I am trying to grasp the concept.
    We are the results of the Big Bang.... we and all the rest of the entire universe. Despite the nickname, it was not an explosion and had no "center", it was (in layman's terms) the rapid expansion of space and scattering of matter, from a still-unknown origin.

I guess what my question is is that what is hitting us now is it just started hitting us or has it been for a long time and will continue to do so for a long time

The CMB (Cosmic Microwave Background) is what's left of the immense heat of that first moment, when all energy and mass was packed into a dense, super-hot mass all over, everywhere. The reason it's microwaves and not infrared is that the wavelength or frequency of the energy got stretched out thin over billions of years of the expansion of space itself. It has always been and will always be present.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    What the article is saying is that an Amazon TV program documents how the CMB from the big bang was first detected in the '60s and that since then we have discovered more and more about it.

No, it is the first light released after the big bang. The universe was opaque for about 360,000 years until it cooled enough for the light to be released. The light has been travelling through space since then. The "light" (*) we are receiving now was released about 13 billion years ago.

(*) Actually, microwaves, because of the expansion of the universe.
    I am trying to understand what it meant by the light reaches us now is from 13 billion years ago. To me I understand it has never reached us from them before now right now. Or am I completely mistaken

How long have we been being hit with revenants of the Big Bang. Did it just start or have we been getting hit for a while now. I am trying to grasp the concept. The way I understand and is that anything that happened during the Big Bang has just started to reach us here on earth. So my question is why exactly is hitting us, radiation, broken asteroids etc. And how does that or can this now affect us?
    Perhaps the important thing to realise is that the big bang happened everywhere. (And is till happening; it is more of a process than an event.)

There wasn't some distant place where it happened. The entire universe was smaller, hotter and denser. But it was uniformly full of matter - and still is on average, apart from occasional "clumps" like stars, planets and galaxies.

As the universe cooled and expanded, it eventually reached a point where free electrons and protons could form hydrogen atoms. That meant that light was free to travel large distances. If you had been around then, the universe would suddenly have become very bright. Then, over billions of years, the light would be coming from further and further away, and would become increasingly faint and cool - fading from white to red and then to radio waves, which is what we detect now.

This can be quite hard to get your head round. The best analogy I have come across is the "surface of last screaming" from Charles Lineweaver (great name!). In this you have to imagine that the photons bouncing around between electrons and protons, when the universe was opaque, is equivalent to a lot of people standing still screaming (beginning to sound like a bizarre Dr Who episode). And when the electrons and protons "recombine" to form hydrogen, that is like everyone stops screaming so they can suddenly hear the screams of others:

Consider an infinite field full of people screaming. The circles are their heads. You are screaming too. (Your head is the black dot.) Now suppose everyone stops screaming at the same time. What will you hear?

Sound travels at 330 m/s. One second after everyone stops screaming you will be able to hear the screams from a `surface of last screaming' 330 meters away from you in all directions.

After 3 seconds the faint screaming will be coming from 1 km away...etc.

No matter how long you wait, faint screaming will always be coming from the surface of last screaming - a surface that is receding from you at the speed of sound (`vsound').

The same can be said of any observer - each is the center of a surface of last screaming. In particular, observers on your surface of last screaming are currently hearing you scream since you are on their surface of last screaming. The screams from the people closer to you than the surface of last screaming have passed you by - you hear nothing from them (gray heads).

When we observe the CMB in every direction we are seeing photons from the surface of last scattering. We are seeing back to a time soon after the big bang when the entire universe was opaque (screaming).
    https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/...weaver7_2.html

(You might have to read though that a couple of times for it to make sense)

I am trying to understand what it meant by the light reaches us now is from 13 billion years ago. To me I understand it has never reached us from them before now right now. Or am I completely mistaken
    So the light started travelling 13 billion years ago. And it started a long way away so it took that long to reach here at the speed of light.

It was actually emitted something like 4 billion light years away, but because of the expansion fo the universe, it has taken more than 4 billion yers to get here. (You may have opened a can of worms here with all the extra details the CMB reveals to us!)

What do you mean open a can of worms? I am not understanding what is going wrong?

I guess what my question is is that what is hitting us now is it just started hitting us or has it been for a long time and will continue to do so for a long time
    And to be absolutely explicit in answering this: it has always been hitting us and always will be. It will continue to reduce in temperature and get fainter (but undetectably slowly) .

So basically that this is hitting us now we are not sure what is hitting us at our lifetime and not sure the effects it may have on earth?

I am trying to understand what is hitting us exactly?

What do you mean open a can of worms? I am not understanding what is going wrong?
    Because what might initially sound simple (the first light from the big bang) is actually quite subtle and complex to fully understand. So take your time and if you find you get to stuff you can't understand then don't worry about it. A lot of this can only be understood by knowing math and physics that is way over my head. So I just live with the fact that there is a lot of stuff I will never understand.

So basically that this is hitting us now we are not sure what is hitting us at our lifetime and not sure the effects it may have on earth?

I am trying to understand what is hitting us exactly?
    We know exactly what it is. It is radio waves. They are very faint and hard to detect. They have absolutely no effect on us or the Earth (they are too weak) other than to increase our knowledge of the universe. And contribute a tiny amount of the background noise that all radios pick up.

So there is nothing really coming towards us then. I guess the fact that it just started to hit us makes me feel we are not sure what is about to hit us?
    I guess the thing I am understanding is whatever started the Big Bang is hitting earth right now and has just started to hit earth from the comment I read. Not the light but the actually thing that caused the big bang

So there is nothing really coming towards us then.
    Only radio waves.

I guess the fact that it just started to hit us makes me feel we are not sure what is about to hit us?
    As I say, it has always been hitting us. And it was predicted by the big bang theory, which is why detecting it (in the '60s) was such a big deal: it confirmed that the big bang theory was correct.

I guess the thing I am understanding is whatever started the Big Bang is hitting earth right now and has just started to hit earth from the comment I read. Not the light but the actually thing that caused the big bang
    There was no "thing" that started the big bang. And it is not hitting us now.

What is "hitting us" is the radio waves released 380,000 years after the big bang.

So there is nothing really coming towards us then. I guess the fact that it just started to hit us makes me feel we are not sure what is about to hit us?
    Just started to hit us? Where did you get that idea. The CMB has been passing through our space since 380,000 years after the big bang. It is simply that we were unable to detect it until we started listening. All it is is photons that have been redshifted from Ultraviolet into the microwaves. The wavelength of that light has been gradually getting redder for 13.8 billion years. We are sure that no remnant of the big bang is about to "hit us".
    Forming opinions as we speak

So anything from the moment of the Big Bang is still 380000 years away?