Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark energy question

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    So this is part of the big rip scenario which is about 2.5 billion years from now and the additional if it nation of dark energy does not lower that estimate and is built into it, or it lowers the estimate to under 2.5 billion years?
    Try asking that question again, so that it's comprehensible.

Grant Hutchison

So this is part of the big rip scenario which is about 2.5 billion years from now and the additional if it nation of dark energy does not lower that estimate and is built into it, or it lowers the estimate to under 2.5 billion years?
    1. As the text you quoted says, that is "one of the more speculative" versions of dark energy.

2. Where did you get 2.5 billions years from? Any possible "big rip" scenario is much, much, much, much further away than that. (For context, our Sun will last at least twice that long. The galaxy even longer and the universe even longer than that.)

When was the theory of dark energy founded ?
    There isn't really "a" theory of dark energy. The concept is based on observations (published in 1998). There are several theories that might explain it. (Which is why there are several possible "fates of the universe").

Sorry from my understanding the fate of the universe for any scenario except the theory of vacuum is 2.5 billions years. Does the information about dark energy reduce any of the current theory’s to fate of the universe?

Or does dark energy fall under the fate of vacuum collapse theory?

Sorry from my understanding the fate of the universe for any scenario except the theory of vacuum is 2.5 billions years.
    That is wrong. By an enormous factor. The only time in that text you quoted in post 7 (you still haven't said where it is from) is 1 trillion years. That is a lot more than 2.5 billion.

Does the information about dark energy reduce any of the current theory’s to fate of the universe?
    Read the text you quoted. It lists some of the possibilities.

Or does dark energy fall under the fate of vacuum collapse theory?
    It has nothing to do with vacuum decay (as far as I know).

Even if the universe were to end in 2.5 billion years, it doesn't seem anything to worry about. None of us will still be around then. And at least we wouldn't have to worry about the sun exploding.

I believe it came from a random google search when will the universe end a 2010 article said 5 billions years and a 2016 article said 2.5 billion minimum so that number stuck in my head

I believe it came from a random google search when will the universe end a 2010 article said 5 billions years and a 2016 article said 2.5 billion minimum so that number stuck in my head
    I assume there were either unreliable sources or you misunderstood what you read.

In fear of sounding stupid I will put my question is a way I was trying to avoid to because of possibly sounding stupid.

According to the section of dark energy from wiki I posted what is the time frame implicated for the fate of the universe by the dark energy theory?

... According to the section of dark energy from wiki I posted what is the time frame implicated for the fate of the universe by the dark energy theory?
    There is no implied end time by that model, but eventually we won't see other galaxies. The stars will all run out of fusible material before then, probably trillions or quadrillions of years from now.
    Forming opinions as we speak

According to the section of dark energy from wiki I posted what is the time frame implicated for the fate of the universe by the dark energy theory?
    Your quoted text does not specify a timescale, other than 1 trillion years (1,000 billion years).

But why does it matter?

That’s what I was asking with dark energy calculation into the equation is it still way way way into the future?

You see I am not smart enough to keep up or even ask questions that make sense here. I am sorry

That’s what I was asking with dark energy calculation into the equation is it still way way way into the future?
    Yes.

You see I am not smart enough to keep up or even ask questions that make sense here. I am sorry
    Frankly, you do not seem dumb. You seem careless. Your questions include typos and you read the sentence about Saturn being the furthest away without noticing the part about it being discovered with the naked eye. Learning things requires time and effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jens; 2020-Jan-27 at 03:33 AM. Reason: misspelling (idea -> eye
    As above, so below

To save anyone else searching, the text in post #7 comes from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_e...f_the_universe

(That article is real mess, by the way. I don't know if there are any actual factual errors, but it is just a chaotic collection of badly described ideas with no proper structure.)

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I don't know if there are any actual factual errors, but it is just a chaotic collection of badly described ideas with no proper structure.
    See dictionary definition of "wikipedia".

(Some day, but probably not soon enough to actually save civilization, people will say: "You've made a complete wikipedia of that. Tear it up and start again.")

Grant Hutchison