Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When can we expect to see this, happening soon as per nasa

When can we expect to see this, happening soon as per nasa

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.expr...space-news/amp

Which way should we look to see this? Sounds awesome

Merging of galaxy clusters? Billions of years. These things just don’t happen fast in human terms.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

As per nasa is this merger not happened already and we are just getting light from it

When can we expect to see this, happening soon as per nasa

The story says nothing about “soon” and NASA (assuming it was attributed correctly) did not give a timescale for the merger.

As for the light, our distant ancestors would have seen this merger if they had the instruments to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    It's three billion light years away, so you would need an extremely powerful telescope to even get a glimpse of it. And all you would see is the four galaxies slowly merging together (over millions or billions of years). There would be nothing to see, really. It's not like an explosion or anything. Galaxies might look like single objects to us because they are so far away, but in fact the individual stars in each galaxies are very far apart so they do not collide or anything like that.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    It's three billion light years away, so you would need an extremely powerful telescope to even get a glimpse of it. And all you would see is the four galaxies slowly merging together (over millions or billions of years). There would be nothing to see, really. It's not like an explosion or anything. Galaxies might look like single objects to us because they are so far away, but in fact the individual stars in each galaxies are very far apart so they do not collide or anything like that.
    Sorry, that should have been "galaxy clusters" rather than galaxies, which makes it even longer in terms of timescales.

And also, despite the stupid headline, there is nothing "violent" about it...
    As above, so below

And also, despite the stupid headline, there is nothing "violent" about it...
    And they only detected shock waves in the gas with data from the Chandra x-ray telescope.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

As per nasa is this merger not happened already and we are just getting light from it
    Per the evidence, the merger is in process, as we see it. The galaxy clusters are about 3.2 billion light years away. I’m not an expert on galaxy cluster mergers and I don’t have much information handy on these clusters, but they are very large, and even galaxy mergers take a very long time. Typically, they would go through each other repeatedly, with their gas interacting (that has already been happening) and slowing them down relative each other a bit each pass, so eventually they would merge. My guess is that it would take many billions of years to complete. Probably longer than 3.2 billion years.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

So it’s a merger not an explosion. Now is nasa saying biggest merger in history? Or biggest one that they have seen? Cause they are saying it will be the biggest object in the universe.

So it’s a merger not an explosion. Now is nasa saying biggest merger in history? Or biggest one that they have seen? Cause they are saying it will be the biggest object in the universe.
    "biggest object in the universe" always means "biggest one that we have seen," because we have not seen everything in the universe. It's same as when you say "she is the most beautiful person in the world," which might possibly be true, but probably isn't (even if you have an objective measure of beauty) because you have not seen everyone in the world. So it would necessarily mean "that we know of."
    As above, so below

Have mergers like this happened before ?
    Also is the article right when it says most violent ever ?
    Last edited by Sinbad; 2020-Jan-29 at 05:41 AM.

Galaxy cluster mergers have taken place before.

And regarding the violence, please go back and read note 6.

But even before that, please give me a quote of the sentence that says it is the most violent ever.
    As above, so below

"biggest object in the universe" always means "biggest one that we have seen," because we have not seen everything in the universe.
    And by “object” they mean it will eventually settle into a single gravitationally bound group of galaxies, which themselves are composed of many stars and much gas and dust.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Yes, it's happened before and currently.

It's "violent" only in the vastly slow, cosmic scale sense, compared to Galactic business as usual where things are normally otherwise stable. The Galaxies in these clusters will miss each other by millions of light-years. One or two Galaxies in that group might merge in a billion years, causing more new stars to form as interstellar gasses are shifted. Not violent from a human lifetime perspective.

It's like raindrops merging on a windshield. Think of "violence" as a metaphor here. Or just bad headline writing, whichever.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I guess the wording confuses me then. It says violent and most powerful. Are mergers like this more powerful than let’s say a supernova or black hole / neutron star mergers?
    Last edited by Sinbad; 2020-Jan-29 at 10:53 AM.

I guess the wording confuses me then. It says violent and most powerful. Are mergers like this more powerful than let’s say a supernova or black hole / neutron star mergers?
    I would think it is difficult to compare them. A supernova releases masses of energy over a very short time (measured in days or weeks) and a black hole merger over even shorter periods. Whereas the collisions between galaxies take place over millions or billions of years.

Not in the way you seem to mean. They are not explosive or visually spectacular.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.expr...space-news/amp

Please don't post "blind" links. Provide a brief explanation of what the link says/shows/offers so people can decide whether they want to click it or not.

Also, the thread title could provide more information on the topic.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I guess I just don’t understand the process,

I guess I just don’t understand the process,
    Imagine a large group of people all about 1 mile apart. They are all walking very slowly in the same direction across a large plain. Another similar group of people is walking in the opposite direction. (All the people have their eyes shut.) Both groups will pass though each other. One or two of them might bump into someone coming the other way; they will probably brush past one another and keep going. One of them might get a slight knock.

(That is not a great analogy, but it's the best I can do.)

So there is nothing crashing together causes massive bursts of energy or explosions. Is it more like over the next few billions of years the galaxy’s will become one with no massive explosions of changes in matter and particles
    ?

So there is nothing crashing together causes massive bursts of energy or explosions. Is it more like over the next few billions of years the galaxy’s will become one with no massive explosions of changes in matter and particles
    ?
    The chances of two stars colliding is very small. And I don't that would be very dramatic anyway - unless you lived on a planet orbiting one of them. But you would have millions of years to prepare.

Clouds of gas can collide, which increases pressure and therefore temperature and so trigger the formation of new stars. But that is going on anyway. Over millions of years, the shapes of galaxies and galaxy clusters would change.

I think you have to get the idea that the universe is like watching a really, really slow movie. When anything happens, even if "violent", it usually takes vast amounts of time.

?
    This is about clusters of Galaxies, not the merging of individual Galaxies, though that happens too sometimes. In other words, the Galaxies themselves just get closer or further from each other, as they are all kept orbiting around one another by their mutual gravitational pull. One group of galaxies got close enough to another group to make them all start orbiting each other, in a complex dance that takes billions of human lifetimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    This is about clusters of Galaxies, not the merging of individual Galaxies, though that happens too sometimes. In other words, the Galaxies themselves just get closer or further from each other, as they are all kept orbiting around one another by their mutual gravitational pull. One group of galaxies got close enough to another group to make them all start orbiting each other, in a complex dance that takes billions of human lifetimes.
    There is a little more to it than that. Look at the Bullet Cluster as seen in x-rays. The galaxies might not be interacting much, but the gas clouds are. Two clusters pass through each other and you have hundreds of millions of years of hot plasma radiating energy as the gasses and plasma from the clusters slam into each other. Repeating what was said above, this is a very slow release of a lot of energy, and not something sudden or explosive.
    Forming opinions as we speak

I get it so there are explosions and gases, particles and matter are colliding.

No, not explosions. Just an increase in stellar formation over very long periods. A statistical explosion, if you will.

Whoever said explosions qualified that statement a lot to say there is a small chance of very few relatively small explosions. I think it is misleading for you to claim to get it, and then list explosions first.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Did you not say millions of years of hot plasma radiating energy colliding. I assume that will collide in explosions?

Did you not say millions of years of hot plasma radiating energy colliding. I assume that will collide in explosions?
    You seem quite intent on finding explosions.

No I am trying to get an understanding and sometimes the answers I get back are more technical that I understand. For example my questions of
    I get it so there are explosions are gases , particles and matter colliding?

So to break it down what is merging and colliding together?

Are gases? Are Particles ? And is gas? What happens with whatever does collide in a galaxy cluster merger? Are there any explosions buy 1 - gas 2 particles and 3 matter?