Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When can we expect to see this, happening soon as per nasa

No explosions.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    No I am trying to get an understanding and sometimes the answers I get back are more technical that I understand. For example my questions of
    I get it so there are explosions are gases , particles and matter colliding?

So to break it down what is merging and colliding together?

Are gases? Are Particles ? And is gas? What happens with whatever does collide in a galaxy cluster merger? Are there any explosions buy 1 - gas 2 particles and 3 matter?
    I realize you have been suspended, but I think you can still access the site so perhaps can try to digest things during your break. If you want to understand things that frighten you, you really need to go to the trouble of understanding the processes. There are big clouds of gases and plasma outside of galaxies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm%E...alactic_medium

And you can see they are very, very diffuse, so only a few particles per cubic meter of space.

But when galaxies come close to one another, there are interactions between the particles (not collisions, but "interactions"), and as the electrons are attracted to positive ions they put out a kind of light that's called bremsstrahlung radiation (it's basically electrons emitting photons to make up for the change of momentum), and that can be in the form of x-rays. So there are lots of x-rays emitted, but since there are so few particles it's very weak, but since there is so much space there are many. So it's extremely violent if you look at the totality, but almost nothing if you look at it on just a local level. It's one of those paradoxes, and it's actually quite interesting if you take the time to actually study it.

Another interesting thing: the most violent thing we really know close to us is the sun. It emits an enormous amount of energy, which enables us to live. But actually, the sun is not a very efficient heat generator at all. On a volume basis, the sun is only creating energy at the level of a compost heap. The only reason it generates a lot of heat is because it is so darned big.

But I really would recommend reading and really trying to understand the process of galaxy cluster collisions because (a) they are not scary and (b) they are very interesting.
    As above, so below