Thread: Filaments & structure in interstellar medium

Filaments & structure in interstellar medium

I noticed a few items on filaments & structure in the ISM recently at lots of different scales.
    Voyager data, molecular clouds, high velocity clouds, surface of stars, stellar winds, H II regions expanding etc.

Are most of the filament type structure thought to be linked the current flow, moving charged particles or magnetic fields?
    Can someone point me in the direction of papers etc that describe the separation of paramagnetic and diamagnetic gas/plasma around these?

How is the degree of structure described or given some sort of value?
    Twitter https://twitter.com/CarlNGraham -- Carl N Graham -- Sci-fi blog: The Alien Reporter

Research into this area appears to be focused on star formation....

Star formation is highly inefficient, with one of the likely culprits being the regulation against gravitational collapse provided by magnetic fields. Measurement of the polarized emission from interstellar dust grains, which are partially aligned with the magnetic field, provides a key tool for understanding the role these fields play in the star formation process.... Future developments in instrument sensitivity for ground-based, airborne, and space-borne polarimeters operating over range of spatial scales are critical for enabling revolutionary steps forward in our understanding of the magnetized turbulence from which stars are formed.

-- Studying Magnetic Fields in Star Formation and the Turbulent Interstellar Medium (2019)
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    Measurement of the polarized emission from interstellar dust grains
    The interpretation of polarized emissions combined with doppler shifts/broadening seems far more complicated than it first sounded.
    The more 'solid' cooler filaments of dense clouds look like the easiest targets to observe.

A common theme is the ISM often displays a dual identity both being hot & cold at same time.
    Is this real or just a line of sight effect?
    It got me playing with plasma globe, my cheep thermal camera gets very confuse my mixture of cold gas & hot plasma.

When looking at the bulk of the ISM would we expect to seen any polarization if we are looking at/through emission/absorption from billions of glowing filaments all averaging out?

The different forms of hydrogen in the ISM all have very different magnetic properties.
    So, if the ISM has any resemblance to a plasma globe what is between the warmer filaments we see?
    Twitter https://twitter.com/CarlNGraham -- Carl N Graham -- Sci-fi blog: The Alien Reporter