Thread: New and upcoming Nature and Ecology writers?

New and upcoming Nature and Ecology writers?

I have returned from obscurity-

So, here goes-

There are some good classic books written on Nature and ecology- who would you say is presently a top writer in the Nature/Ecology genre?

Rachel Carson is no longer alive -

Greta Thunberg is technically a teenager who has a large fan base but has not written anything of significance-

In the present age of false news and 'seemingly' evil narrative--- who speaks for ecologists with a unified voice?

"Truth is the daughter of time, not of authority."
    Francis Bacon

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself
    George Bernard Shaw

"Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. the foundation of such a method is love."
    Martin Luther King

Carl Safina?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Thank you, KaiYeves--

Francis Bacon

George Bernard Shaw

"Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. the foundation of such a method is love."
    Martin Luther King

Not exactly new and upcoming, but I see that E.O. Wilson at age 90 is still writing. The last book of his I read was Letters to a Young Scientist, from 2014, which I bought for the purpose of donating to the local high school library.

Hi Torsten,

I have read it as well. Thanks for the posting.

Francis Bacon

George Bernard Shaw

Martin Luther King

I'm not sure I can make a claim that a particular writer is the next Carson or Aldo Leopold based on a single book, but there are a couple of books I've read over the last couple of months that I thought were outstanding.

"Giants of the Monsoon Forest: Living and Working with Elephants" by Jacob Shell was outstanding. It is about the working relationship between Asian elephants and humans in the forests of Southeast Asia and surrounding areas. The elephants live a semi-domesticated existence, where they work with humans, but then are allowed to roam at night and interact with wild elephants. Shell goes into not only the ecology of this, but the history and economics of it.

I'm currently reading "Eager: The Surprising, Secret Life of Beavers and Why They Matter" by Ben Goldfarb. Also an excellent book, very readable and I've learned a bunch of stuff. My only minor complaint is that it almost gets a little preachy at times. But he talks about not only the ecology of beavers, but the politics and economics. He makes an interesting point about arguing that a significant contributor to the history, expansion, and wars of the early US were driven by the harvesting of beaver pelts, and how the extirpation of beavers from much of their range had long term impacts on a range of issues, including the decline of salmon runs, droughts, and even climate change.
    Last edited by Swift; 2020-Feb-19 at 03:34 PM.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

You can see some of their dams from space
    https://www.treehugger.com/natural-s...rom-space.html