Thread: Death of Kirk Douglas at 103

Death of Kirk Douglas at 103

While not exactly surprising at 103 years of age I was saddened to read of his passing. He was certainly a "Star" of the first magnitude with a career spanning 7 decades. I certainly think he was unlucky not to receive an "in-competition" Oscar rather than an Honorary One. With performances like those in "Ace in the Hole", "Paths of Glory" and "Spartacus" he certainly could dominate the screen. Maybe not the most subtle of actors, but you always knew that you would get a strong performance from him.

Plus of course there was his actions in helping to break the Hollywood Blacklist by hiring Dalton Trumbo as the screenwriter for Spartacus and then refusing to put a false name on the film credits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/m...gtype=Homepage

This is sad. I just watched Spartacus last week, one of my favorite movies. RIP Kirk.

https://www.the-solute.com/making-mo...las-1919-2020/

He was the fifth person I covered for my Celebrating the Living column, but I still wrote about him anyway.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I always liked Kirk Douglas. His acting was often very close to being "hammy" but he gave an entertaining performance even then. Spartacus was my favorite (maybe because my aunt took me to see it and explained the Roman wheel).

(The Houston Chronicle ran an article on him today. They used a picture that they id'd as a scene from Spartacus with Jean Simmons. I think it was from Ulysses with Silvana Mangano Lust for Life. Oh well.)
    Last edited by Jim; 2020-Feb-06 at 10:23 PM. Reason: oops
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

He was great in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which I just watched last week to take advantage of my new Disney + account (to watch the Mandalorian). I loved it when it first came out and I recall some of the songs I memorized off the 78rpm movie record that my parents bought.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

I forgot the role Douglas played in breaking the McCarthy-inspired Blacklist! He insisted that Dalton Trumbo receive screen credit for Spartacus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/opini...our/index.html

It was Douglas who pushed for screenwriter credit for Dalton Trumbo on the hugely successful 1960 gladiator epic "Spartacus." ...

"The choices were hard. The consequences were painful and very real. During the blacklist, I had friends who went into exile when no one would hire them; actors who committed suicide in despair ... I was threatened that using a Blacklisted writer for Spartacus -- my friend Dalton Trumbo -- would mark me as a 'Commie-lover' and end my career.

"There are times when one has to stand up for principle. ...
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Just an interesting tidbit: Douglas made a movie ("Tough Guys," with Burt Lancaster) in which his advanced age was a major plot point - over 30 years ago!
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

He and Peter Lorre were perfect together.

Although they were B scifi films, two movies Kirk Douglas was in were quite unsettling: "Holocaust 2000" 1977 and "Saturn 3" 1979
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	24915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	24916