Thread: Moon Occults Mars - 2020 FEB 18

Cool Moon Occults Mars - 2020 FEB 18

The waning crescent Moon will occult (cover) Mars during the morning of Tuesday 2020 FEB 18 for observers in North America.

The upcoming immersion will occur on the lunar bright limb, with emersion on the dark limb. Any observers on the graze path in Mexico can witness an interrupted Mars appearing to pass through lunar hills and valleys. Those north of the only graze path will see a full occultation.

Iíve created a North American graze map, a set of Besselian elements for computer input, and a preview graphic with data for Chicago. They can be seen by visiting my Occultations webpage at https://www.CurtRenz.com/occultations.html

Photos and descriptions of the occultation would be welcome additions to this thread. If you would like specific occultation or graze predictions for your location, please reply to this post with your longitude, latitude, elevation and time zone.
    For astronomical graphics and data visit
    https://www.CurtRenz.com/astronomy.html

It was only on seeing a Sky and Telescope note about this event that I realized we will see both objects between the Lagoon and Trifid nebulae, a great if challenging HDR-imaging opportunity for observers far enough west to still be in darkness. The motion of Mars makes
    this a long occultation, over 90 minutes at our location. (Nervously eying weather predictions once we finish this week's 6 inches of rain).

Jupiter and Saturn won't be far from this event, either.

Alas, thick layer of clouds in Austin this morning.

Have any of the orbiters or landers ever photographed a transit of the Moon across Earth from the Martian point of view?

I wonder what that would look like. Something like a 3rd-magnitude starlike object merging with a 1st-magnitude starlike object. Would the earthlight be momentarily dimmed?

There was an image series from EPOXI (renamed ex-Deep Impact "mother ship") showing the Moon transiting Earth as seen from about 50 million km.

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post
    There was an image series from EPOXI (renamed ex-Deep Impact "mother ship") showing the Moon transiting Earth as seen from about 50 million km.
    Thank you for that.

It does seem to me that, from a viewpoint on Mars, you'd see a dimmer image merge with the brighter one, resulting in an overall dimming for the duration.