Thread: atmospheric rivers

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France

atmospheric rivers

coined as a "thing" only in 2017, these have been battering the UK for weeks now, and also the US west coast, I read. They are rather fascinating. Long (thousands of kilometres) and narrow (hundreds of kilometres), they drift off the oceans quite high up, (1.5 km) until reaching land where they cause flooding. Vast amounts of water, and that is the interesting thing to me. They hold more water than humidity can explain, there must be droplets held up by convection currents and charge, perhaps, like a classical thunder cloud. Thunder clouds thrive over water by the transfer of latent heat as pressure changes, and they get charged up, of course, to cause lightning. These atmospheric rivers seem to be more frequent nowadays and it is natural to blame global warming and the warmer waters of the ocean surface in particular. But I wonder if anyone has ideas about their nature as long thin phenomena travelling eastwards, apparently not too tied up with Coriolis, so that they drop deluges onto long strips of land.?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I'm not sure I understand your last question.

Here is what NOAA says about them. That website is dated 2015, so their "thing" status must be older than 2017, and I've heard about the "Pineapple Express" for many years.

A NASA webpage on them, with references.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your last question.

Here is what NOAA says about them. That website is dated 2015, so their "thing" status must be older than 2017, and I've heard about the "Pineapple Express" for many years.

A NASA webpage on them, with references.
    Thank you for that, my fault to rely on WP, it seems well known for those pineapple express examples in the west of the US but new to us in the UK from Atlantic water. UK now suffering worst floods and over a greater area than in living memory. The Atlantic not normally thought of as similar to the pacific around Hawaii, if these happen frequently from now, we have a huge infrastructure problem.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G