Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFO video

UFO video

https://z100.iheart.com/content/2020...ng-near-plane/
    What do you make of this video? It looks like a cube shaped object is passing a plane at supersonic or even hypersonic speed.
    Could it be a small object (weather balloon, for example) that the plane is passing very close to (doesn't seem to be moving as if it were)? Could it be hoaxed?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

I see nothing to rule out some sort of man-made object. The apparent motion is consistent with an oddball balloon floating nearby, with the plane flying past it. I see nothing to suggest supersonic or hypersonic speed.

It could be a balloon with irregular pointy edges (slightly deflated?) and light and dark patches on its surface, and only appears to be moving fast due to the plane flying by it. Just one attempt at an earth bound explanation.

Looks like a weather balloon or some other form of balloon. And it's not passing the plane, the plane is passing it. To me the object looks relatively stationary. We also can't see if the object is being suspended from a balloon; the video zooms in too close to tell. Assuming the video is accurate the plane was at about 29,000 feet and slightly climbing.

Thread moved from OTB to CT

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I got a security warning on the video.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I got a security warning on the video.
    Here it is on straight YouTube:

https://youtu.be/mprkfQTmH48

Hard to tell due to video quality but to me, it resembles a cluster of spherical(ish) balloons more than a cube. I certainly see no visual cues that suggest supersonic velocity, much less hypersonic. In fact, compared to my own observations of passing air traffic from coach class window seats, I'd say the closure rate is looks quite leisurely.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

would be interesting to know if how they spotted this thing. Did it appear on someone's radar? How did they even know it was present?
    if this is factual then it's a great capture.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Hard to tell due to video quality but to me, it resembles a cluster of spherical(ish) balloons more than a cube.
    Yeah, that could explain the bumpy-like appearance and the different light & dark areas. Maybe a bunch got loose and away from clumsy clown on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Yeah, that could explain the bumpy-like appearance and the different light & dark areas. Maybe a bunch got loose and away from clumsy clown on the ground.
    Would readily-available or carnival balloons survive at 29,700 feet? That seems to be the reading on the primary flight display.

ETA: Never mind. Some googling shows that store-bought helium balloons can survive upwards of 10 km.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2020-Feb-20 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Would readily-available or carnival balloons survive at 29,700 feet? That seems to be the reading on the primary flight display.

ETA: Never mind. Some googling shows that store-bought helium balloons can survive upwards of 10 km.
    Good Thought! After looking at it again it does look weird for a bunch of balloons, but I'll take it ;-). I didn't go into depth at the site but was wondering if the pilot called up local air tower controllers or the base radar operators to check their radar for possible contact, speed, & size?

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Hard to tell due to video quality but to me, it resembles a cluster of spherical(ish) balloons more than a cube. ...
    Maybe …
    https://tnrealtors.com/wp-content/up...d-balloons.png
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Call me crazy, but I think it's a bunch of balloons carrying some guy with a BB gun in a lawn chair.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Ifo ?

This link is to a photo in the Wiki article on weather balloons:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...b/Nssl0020.jpg

Note the object at the bottom of the photo.

Thanks.
    I was just going by it seeming to cross several clouds in a second or so.
    Also, why does it look like the object is moving forward? If the plane is passing it, wouldn't it be "moving" backwards?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    Thanks.
    I was just going by it seeming to cross several clouds in a second or so.
    Also, why does it look like the object is moving forward? If the plane is passing it, wouldn't it be "moving" backwards?
    It doesn't look that way at all to me. It looks like it is essentially floating with little or no movement (which is what I'd expect for an object hanging from a high altitude weather balloon) and the plane is passing it by quickly. It looks like it is moving against the clouds because the viewer in the plane is moving and so the background of the object is changing.

The object doesn't look at all like it is moving forward to me, but like it is moving backwards, exactly like I would expect if the plane was passing it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I don't really get an impression of the object "moving backwards"...I guess since it has no obvious fore/aft features. To me, it's just a closure rate between the two. A balloon-suspended payload could hang relatively motionless with respect to the ground or travel with winds aloft at tens of kilometers per hour. I also can't judge the size of the object, the distance to it, or the distance between it and the clouds behind it, so I couldn't even begin to WAG a velocity for it.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Was this a near collision? Could this have been a disaster?

No disaster if, as most suspect - myself included - this was just a weather balloon.

There is a clear explanation of the low risk of weather balloons to aircraft here and a specific example of a (probable) collision that produced no discernible damage here.

The plane is moving toward the left of the image. The object is probably stationary as it passes along the right side of the plane.

Balloons come in all shapes and sizes.

BTW, note that the very bottom image - the dodecahedron - has no hanging weight. The weight is inside the balloon's mouth.

If you re watch the video, pay attention to how much the camera had to zoom in prior to capturing the object. There was no chance whatsoever of a collision (unless the plane and/or object drastically changed direction, altitude and speed).

Agreed. The time to really worry is when the object only gets larger as it approaches, without moving left, right, up, or down.

I will add though that having a close encounter with uncontrolled traffic isn’t exactly desirable.

Looks like a large balloon which is stationary, filmed from a moving plane. The movement of the balloon against the background clouds is a familiar illusion.

As far as the design of the balloon is concerned, it might be a fiesta balloon from Central or South America, where they manufacture some pretty wacky balloon shapes for celebrations.
    They are called Balão Pontudo (pointy balloons) and they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.
    http://museudobalao.com.br/wp-conten...02/68-Copy.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-J9VPWMXEmT...Chiconcuac.JPG
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...n9llXZasZVGg&s
    https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BYsxWI5to...Uu5I3Y4Byt.jpg
    Last edited by eburacum45; 2020-Feb-25 at 04:50 PM.

Should it trouble me that a commercial airline pilot - whose attention to detail is critical to the safety of hundreds of lives every day - does not know how to spell 'commercial'?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Should it trouble me that a commercial airline pilot - whose attention to detail is critical to the safety of hundreds of lives every day - does not know how to spell 'commercial'?
    No it shouldn't
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

UFO video

I am pretty sure English is not a first language for the pilot, if he was in fact the source of the headline and text.

An interesting "UFO" video is shown from ISS:
    https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/25/nasa-...utes-12297837/

But I think I know the culprit:
    https://nanoracks.com/nanoracks-comp...yment-mission/

^^^ Interesting video from the ISS, if it is "bus size" as depicted it's not a nanorack. Plus if it is accelerating to move upward after 22 minutes of pacing the ISS from below that's not normal for a typical satellite. Also, NASA should know where other earth launched objects that size are at any given time. A secret mission from powers on Earth? Who knows?