Thread: Interesting “UFO“ experience

Interesting “UFO“ experience

I recently had an interesting UFO experience, sort of. I was on a plane descending into SeaTac, and when I looked out the window I saw this weird halo kind of object following us. Well, it was following us exactly, so I knew rationally that it was some optical phenomenon, but still it was kind of freaky. Gradually, as we descended into the cloud layer, the shadow of a plane started growing in the middle of the halo, so I realized it was our shadow on the clouds, but I can definitely understand as someone could interpret it as an orb of light following the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

The halo is called a "glory". Often it consists of coloured rings, but it can be so pale as to be colourless.

I saw a UFO when I was a teenager - a reddish pink light hovering in the sky and moving gently back and forth in an undulating pattern. I ran into the house and grabbed my father's binoculars, and when I ran out again it was, amazingly, still there. It turned out to be a seagull illuminated by the setting sun, hovering on stationary wings in some sort of headwind/updraft.

Grant Hutchison

In William R. Corliss's Handbook of Unusual Natural Phenomena (p 107-110), these are also called Brocken spectres with glories (circular rainbows), after a German mountain where the shadow of a climber could be seen on a fog bank. Would have loved to see this myself.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I saw a glory from a ferry a few years ago, and posted it here. Kind of formed a halo around my head!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    In William R. Corliss's Handbook of Unusual Natural Phenomena (p 107-110), these are also called Brocken spectres with glories (circular rainbows), after a German mountain where the shadow of a climber could be seen on a fog bank. Would have loved to see this myself.
    They're fairly common in the mountains, if you know to look for them. One of my friends has a set of nice photographs, taken as a group of three people passed the camera from hand to hand, to demonstrate that the glory always surrounds the head (or camera) of each observer. You can do the same thing by walking from front to back of an aeroplane, taking a photograph from several locations.

Grant Hutchison

You can even tell roughly what seat the photographer was sitting in.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post

You can even tell roughly what seat the photographer was sitting in.
    Yeah, that’s exactly what it looked like, except I was on the port side so it was going the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below