Thread: mercuric oxide opthalmic

mercuric oxide opthalmic

Years ago, a common over the counter medication for the eye in the USA was yellow mercuric oxide ointment. Is that still sold over-the-counter under a different name? - or was it proven ineffective or hazardous?

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I remember that as "golden eye ointment", effective but banned as poisonous. It is not sold today in UK over the counter.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

May as well get the full story. It is not safe. Look under section 7 for medical uses; it has been replaced.

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/com...erapeutic-Uses
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    May as well get the full story. It is not safe. Look under section 7 for medical uses; it has been replaced.

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/com...erapeutic-Uses

IN THE FORM OF A 1% OINTMENT USED FOR INFLAMMATION OF EYES, PRURITUS ANI, & EPIDERMOPHYTOSIS; NOW LARGELY REPLACED BY OTHER & SAFER AGENTS. /FORMER USE/
    Osol, A. (ed.). Remington's Pharmaceutical Sciences. 16th ed. Easton, Pennsylvania: Mack Publishing Co., 1980., p. 1110
    I'm curious what the "other & safer agents" are.

Quote Originally Posted by tashirosgt View Post
    I'm curious what the "other & safer agents" are.
    Propamidine isetionate. Which has been marketed as "Golden Eye" drops in the UK since the 1990s, among other trade names.

Grant Hutchison