Thread: Big Bang created lobed universe?

Big Bang created lobed universe?

Regarding the difference between the amounts of matter and anti matter, my 16 yo son and I thought this could be mostly explained if the universe was, in fact, lobed. We see a lot of lobed structures in images from Hubble and other observatories and wondered whether the universe itself could not be lobed, one side being + and the other side being -, as it were. Is there any evidence ruling out the possibility of a lobed universe?

There is evidence, pedoggett. The CMBR is not "lobed" and shows that the early universe was in a hot, dense and symmetrical state. Whatever caused matter to dominate in the universe happened in the very early universe.
    Extrapolating from local lobed structures to cosmological scales is not a good idea. Bipolar nebula for example have little to do with cosmology.

Quote Originally Posted by pedoggett View Post
    Regarding the difference between the amounts of matter and anti matter, my 16 yo son and I thought this could be mostly explained if the universe was, in fact, lobed. We see a lot of lobed structures in images from Hubble and other observatories and wondered whether the universe itself could not be lobed, one side being ‘+’ and the other side being ‘-‘, as it were. Is there any evidence ruling out the possibility of a lobed universe?
    Lobed nebulae grow outward from a central spinning source. The Universe did not emanate from a central point, it's a common misconception based on the (informal) name Big Bang. The Cosmic Microwave Background, the observed "afterglow" of the early Universe, is even all over. Red shift, the measure of motion of galactic clusters, shows no preferred direction of expansion.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

This is not completely mainstream, but still published in Physical Review Letters, so it at least stood up to peer review, but there is a theory that antimatter could by some process have gone into an "antiuniverse", which in a sense could be seen as a lobed universe, just not the same universe. This is completely speculative however--there is no evidence for it.

https://physicsworld.com/a/our-unive...ay-physicists/

Antimatter is a really thorny (and exciting) issue, simply because there is no real evidence of why the asymmetry exists, even though it clearly does exist.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    ...Antimatter is a really thorny (and exciting) issue, simply because there is no real evidence of why the asymmetry exists, even though it clearly does exist.
    Right. Well, there is a little evidence, just not nearly enough! An excellent book on the subject (and accessible to a general audience) is The Mystery of the Missing Antimatter [2007] by Helen Quinn & Yossi Nir.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.