Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Or along those lines...WASSUP!*

*Budweiser beer commerial ca. 1999, YouTube, 00:01:00
    Or, the (New)Jersey version:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5cIqRzum528

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    When meeting someone from CosmoQuest, one persons says "Science!"" and everyone else shouts, "SCIENCE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V83JR2IoI8k

Brilliant!
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    For the more geekishly minded among us: in a meeting today someone proposed to temporarily get rid of the TCP protocol, and only use UDP for networking. No handshake, you see...
    And the nominees for Geek of the Day are....

An interesting article on the downsides of social distancing

We are now living in a touch-phobic society that is taking something powerful and deeply human out of our interactions. More extreme social isolation started with the coronavirus directives, but I observed touch phobia itself start with the #MeToo movement pushing back against sexual assault and harassment — but even then, a handshake remained an accepted and therefore even more important application of touch.

I call bunkum. Civlizations where physical contact is not part of the standard greeting have somehow made it for... oh, five thousand years?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I call bunkum.
    Yes indeed. They need to cite some research that doesn't come from touchy societies.
    Research by the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration shows that being touched on the shoulder increased the tips that customers leave their servers. The results of their experiment were significant. Customers who weren’t touched left an average tip of near 12 percent. Tips increased to some 15 percent from those who were touched.
    Well, good luck with that when you come to my part of the world. That is such deeply transgressive behaviour it's making me cringe. No tip, and you lose your job at the end of the day, if the customer chooses to complain.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Mar-14 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Or we could all just nod and say "Hello." This has worked in Scotland for hundreds of years. And sometimes we don't bother with the "Hello."

Grant Hutchison
    We can also stand more than a meter apart and bow slightly, which works perfectly well in Japan. People here don’t touch other people intentionally. It’s considered weird to physically touch people that aren’t your children or intimate people, except in sports of course.

As above, so below

Yes indeed. They need to cite some research that doesn't come from touchy societies.Well, good luck with that when you come to my part of the world. That is such deeply transgressive behaviour it's making me cringe. No tip, and you lose your job at the end of the day, if the customer chooses to complain.
    Now I am curious: Do other posters on this board regularly run into restaurant wait staff that do a lot of shoulder touching?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Now I am curious: Do other posters on this board regularly run into restaurant wait staff that do a lot of shoulder touching?
    That would tend to creep me out.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Heck no. I would leave that place if some creep started just touching me or my family.

A lot? No. I would probably object if it were a touch resembling a caress. But I don't mind a gentle tap on the shoulder in the sense if "hey, you're deep in conversation and I don't want to disturb that, but I would like to serve your plate and I can't quite reach the table this way". As a way to get someone's attention without interrupting.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I live in South Carolina. Women servers do this quite often ("Honey, you need anything else?"). Men do not.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I really can't recall the last time I was "touched on the shoulder" by wait staff. It must have happened but it is not in my memory. But, as this is basically a non-tipping society perhaps that is part of the reason.

I live in South Carolina. Women servers do this quite often ("Honey, you need anything else?"). Men do not.
    Must be regional. I grew up in the Northeast US and now live in upper Midwest.

There's a whole mythology of how touch (and at its most extreme, hugging) is vital for our well-being, based on research in cohorts of people who regularly indulge in touching/hugging behaviour. Research on the effects of touch and hugging on people who don't want to be touched or hugged is correspondingly thin on the ground. The skewed datasets are often misinterpreted to mean that "we all need hugs", and that people who don't want a hug are displaying some sort of maladaptive behaviour, and missing out on a physiological and psychological benefit. I suppose that would be merely mildly annoying, if the defence "I'm a naturally tactile person" didn't keep coming up when people are charged with harassing behaviour that includes unwanted touching. There's clearly an underlying assumption that "being tactile" is a good thing. But if a person assumes that their tactile needs trump those of another person, then that's part of the problem, not a defence.

Grant Hutchison

Understood.

Still, it is just as well that Leo Buscaglia is no longer with us-he'd be quite sad in this "Demolition Man" future.

I remember the late David Rakoff, and a piece he wrote involving the tale of the scorpion and the tortoise:

"We are creatures of contact. Regardless of whether we kiss or we wound, still we must come together. Though it may spell destruction, we still ask for more, since it beats staying dry but so lonely on shore."

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/472/transcript

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Understood.

Still, it is just as well that Leo Buscaglia is no longer with us-he'd be quite sad in this "Demolition Man" future.

I remember the late David Rakoff, and a piece he wrote involving the tale of the scorpion and the tortoise:

"We are creatures of contact. Regardless of whether we kiss or we wound, still we must come together. Though it may spell destruction, we still ask for more, since it beats staying dry but so lonely on shore."

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/472/transcript
    There is no universal ban on touching. There is a call not to randomly touch strangers as a greeting.

I had a hunch it would be more in southern states. Here in California, on rare occasions I will hear “honey” or “dear” from women servers, but no touching that I recall. Also don’t recall it in the midwest, but it has been a long time since I was there very much.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I suppose that would be merely mildly annoying, if the defence "I'm a naturally tactile person" didn't keep coming up when people are charged with harassing behaviour that includes unwanted touching. There's clearly an underlying assumption that "being tactile" is a good thing. But if a person assumes that their tactile needs trump those of another person, then that's part of the problem, not a defence.
    I do think there is an issue with different cultural assumptions and family backgrounds, combined with rapidly changing ideas about allowable boundaries. I have seen a few celebrities get a certain amount of heat in the ”Me too” area (nothing legally related, but with some effect on career or how they are publicly perceived), and where I had previously noticed in videos they did a lot of physical touching, boisterous hugging, etc. of both men and women that weren’t just close friends or family. What I saw seemed innocent enough, but for me would be mildly disagreeable, something I might endure without comment, but would never encourage or initiate. Given how different people react, I can imagine some others wouldn’t even think anything of it, while still others would find it to be much more than just mildly annoying.

It seems to me that in some cases these are people that have acted a certain way they believed was reasonable, were never called on it over many years, but then suddenly are hit with a spotlight of attention. I can understand how some would be shocked and surprised that they are now being accused of harassment.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It seems to me that in some cases these are people that have acted a certain way they believed was reasonable, were never called on it over many years, but then suddenly are hit with a spotlight of attention. I can understand how some would be shocked and surprised that they are now being accused of harassment.
    Perhaps. But there were plenty of actual harassers who could be described the same way; acted a certain way all their life, got away with it due to fame or privilege or money or power, and now totally shocked and surprised to be called out on it.

We're starting to wander from the intended topic, folks. Please pull it back.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board