Thread: This Powerful Ion Engine Will Be Flying on NASA’s DART Mission to Try and Redirect an

This Powerful Ion Engine Will Be Flying on NASA’s DART Mission to Try and Redirect an

Despite humanity’s current struggle against the novel coronavirus, and despite it taking up most of our attention, other threats still exist. The very real threat of a possible asteroid strike on Earth in the future is taking a backseat for now, but it’s still there. Though an asteroid strike seems kind of ephemeral right now, …
    Continue reading "This Powerful Ion Engine Will Be Flying on NASA’s DART Mission to Try and Redirect an Asteroid"
    The post This Powerful Ion Engine Will Be Flying on NASA’s DART Mission to Try and Redirect an Asteroid appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I like to think of impulse as force x time, and specific impulse is per unit mass, to get that we multiply those 4190 seconds by g to 41900 N.s/kg
    So the mass ejection implied is about 5 mgram/s to get those 0.236 N of thrust.
    Alternatively you can say the speed of the ejected mass is 41900 m/s
    Did I get that right?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I like to think of impulse as force x time, and specific impulse is per unit mass, to get that we multiply those 4190 seconds by g to 41900 N.s/kg
    So the mass ejection implied is about 5 mgram/s to get those 0.236 N of thrust.
    Alternatively you can say the speed of the ejected mass is 41900 m/s
    Did I get that right?
    I don't know much about physics, but would those numbers be sufficient to nudge an asteroid? I imagine it depends on size, how much time is available and so on, how big the angle of an angle of deflection you want etc.