Thread: SOYUZ vs SHENZHOU

SOYUZ vs SHENZHOU

Comparing the Russian and Chinese manned space crafts.

https://westeastspace.com/2020/03/02...y-as-it-seems/

In the article, we will try to figure out what state the Chinese manned program is currently in, how it differs from similar programs in Russia, and why the United States and other countries do not consider China as an alternative to the Russian Soyuz ships.
    This year January 19th, the SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft successfully tested its abort system, which is due to make its first manned flight in a few months. Another American company, Boeing, also plans to launch it manned vehicle Boeing Starliner during this year, although the tests that they carried out in December 2019 were far from ideal: the ship could not dock with the ISS as it was planned due to a malfunction of the flight time calculation system. Nevertheless, the success of American companies inevitably proves that the monopoly of the Russian Roscosmos on launching people to the ISS is coming to an end.

But even today, Russia is not the only country that has the technology to send people into space. In 2003, the People’s Republic of China launched the first taikonaut into orbit and became the third world space power with its own manned fleet. China still retains its expertise in this area, unlike the United States, where NASA decommissioned the manned space shuttle transportation system in 2011.

The current article highlights the current state of the Chinese manned program, as well as its comparison with the similar programs in Russia, and reasons why the United States and other countries do not consider China as an alternative to the Russian Soyuz ships.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Comparing the Russian and Chinese manned space crafts.

https://westeastspace.com/2020/03/02...y-as-it-seems/
    Isn't the latter based on the former?

And the Soyuz is based on the GE Apollo concept of 1962.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Is “manned” really the right word when there have been both female cosmonauts and taikonauts?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Is “manned” really the right word when there have been both female cosmonauts and taikonauts?
    It isn't any more. NASA's own guidelines on it say "crewed", and have for a while now.

As long as ITAR guidelines remain as is, there will almost certainly never be a collaboration between US and Chinese space goals or assets.

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    On one hand, “crewed” is taking over as the term of choice and I now use it by preference (occasionally I notice after posting that I had gone back to old habits when not thinking about it). On the other hand, “manned” has long been understood to refer to a human crew, not specifically men.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser