Thread: Astronomers Define the “Really Habitable Zone”. Planets Capable of Producing Gin and

Astronomers Define the “Really Habitable Zone”. Planets Capable of Producing Gin and

A hospitable star that doesn’t kill you with deadly flares. A rocky planet with liquid water and an agreeable climate. Absence of apocalyptic asteroid storms. No pantheon of angry, vengeful, and capricious gods. These are the things that define a habitable planet. Now some scientists are adding one more criterion to the list: gin and …
    Continue reading "Astronomers Define the “Really Habitable Zone”. Planets Capable of Producing Gin and Tonic"
    The post Astronomers Define the “Really Habitable Zone”. Planets Capable of Producing Gin and Tonic appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

Is this somebody's idea of a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Ummm...,yesterday was April 1 so, yeah, probably. UT is reporting it a day late.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I’ll let you decide. The original article this is reporting on was submitted to arvix on March 30, 2020:

https://arxiv.org/abs/2003.13722

From the abstract:

. . . we present the Really Habitable Zone (RHZ), defined as the region around a star where acceptable gins and tonic are likely to be abundant. In common with much of the work in the field, we rely throughout on assumptions which are difficult if not impossible to test and present some plots which astronomers can use in their own talks, stripped of all caveats. We suggest that planets in the Really Habitable Zone be early targets for the JWST, because by the time that thing finally launches we're all going to need a drink.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser