Thread: Earth with 1 Gravity, different radii and densities, exoplanet spin-off thread

Smile Earth with 1 Gravity, different radii and densities, exoplanet spin-off thread

Quote Originally Posted by JCoyote View Post
    I'm more curious about how big a solid planet we could get with roughly or slightly less than 1g surface gravity. A more porous, less dense planet could have massive surface area but there would be a lot of wildly different behaviors geologically.
    I had worked this out a while ago, but I am happy to be corrected by anyone. In the attached chart, for equivalent densities, O Core means Outer Core (of Earth), L Mantle is Lower Mantle, U Mantle is Upper Mantle. Hope everyone can read the chart. All numerical terms are with Earth = 1.00 in every category.

For example, if Earth or an exoplanet had a density overall of Granite, it would have 2.2 times our Radius with a significant increase in surface area (forgot to add it) and volume.

Earth with an overall density of molten iron could be about the size of Venus and have 1.0 G.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Apr-07 at 09:49 PM.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

As for what each type of planet would be like, that's left to everyone but me.

You might see "Big Planet" in the SF library for what a giant, metal-poor Earth might be like as a colony world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Planet

Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Apr-07 at 10:31 PM.

The biggest terrestrial planets with an Earth-like gravity would be waterworlds, with oceans hundreds of kilometers deep. At the bottom of such an ocean the pressure could be great enough to form a high-pressure ice mantle. These planets could be much larger than Earth, but still have conditions on the surface that are fairly Earth-like - apart from the absence of land.

Going the other way; a planet with a very high iron content, and a minimal rocky crust, would be much denser than our own planet, because the core would become compressed under its own weight - so iron planets would be considerably smaller than you might think. There might be quite a few nearly pure iron planets out there- but they would be the result of planetary formation very near the star, or migration towards the star, and the resultant loss of material by evaporation.

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    There might be quite a few nearly pure iron planets out there- but they would be the result of planetary formation very near the star, or migration towards the star, and the resultant loss of material by evaporation.
    A number of papers in arXiv.org talk about mantle loss from giant impacts, leading to Mercury-like planets with large iron cores.

Yes, that's one I've used before.
    This paper suggests that planets with more than 70% iron are unlikely, but I don't really subscribe to that view.
    https://arxiv.org/pdf/0704.3454.pdf
    Note as well that this paper has some useful equations for deterimining the density of various planetary types, up to 50% water.

Somewhat easier to use is this graph, which gives a wide range of planetary options, while allowing for compression effects. One interesting phenomenon is that planets start getting smaller again past 300 Earths or so- about the mass of Jupiter.
    http://aleph.se/andart2/wp-content/u...anetradius.png