Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My description of the swab when I had it for possible flu in the spring of 2019 was that they put it about eleven feet into your sinuses.
    I have heard the same.

Anyone catch the results of the disastrous Broncos-Saints game? COVID-19 messes up everything.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My description of the swab when I had it for possible flu in the spring of 2019 was that they put it about eleven feet into your sinuses.
    Argh, my thalamus! I can see, hear, taste and feel that! You poked me in everything except my sniffer station. So tired, now.
    Solfe

It's what David Prowse died of.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The three most recent former US presidents – Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton – are volunteering to get their Covid-19 vaccines while on camera in order to promote public confidence in the vaccine's safety.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/polit...ine/index.html

Hmmm. Anthony Fauci, generally a voice of reason and sanity IMHO, just suggested that the MHRA (the UK's notoriously pernickety and micro-managing medicines regulatory body) "rushed" approval of the Pfizer vaccine. He seems to have said it in the context of a question about why the FDA was taking a few days longer on the same job, but really, Dr Fauci, thanks a bunch for driving up vaccine hesitancy in the UK.
    (The MHRA have been all over the current vaccine trials like a coat of paint for months, so approval has been assembled over the same time period. I'm sure the FDA has been doing the same. So a difference of a few days at the end of a months-long process is not entirely surprising. And as far as I'm aware, Dr Fauci is not privy to the inner workings of the MHRA.)

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Hmmm. Anthony Fauci, generally a voice of reason and sanity IMHO, just suggested that the MHRA (the UK's notoriously pernickety and micro-managing medicines regulatory body) "rushed" approval of the Pfizer vaccine. He seems to have said it in the context of a question about why the FDA was taking a few days longer on the same job, but really, Dr Fauci, thanks a bunch for driving up vaccine hesitancy in the UK.
    (The MHRA have been all over the current vaccine trials like a coat of paint for months, so approval has been assembled over the same time period. I'm sure the FDA has been doing the same. So a difference of a few days at the end of a months-long process is not entirely surprising. And as far as I'm aware, Dr Fauci is not privy to the inner workings of the MHRA.)

Grant Hutchison
    Have just heard that EU countries are upset, the EU is not yet due to approve. Low temperature distribution is also not yet clarified in UK.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I posted this Nov. 30:

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Our governor talked today about “possibly” doing another lockdown “if” the numbers keep going up, as ICU requirements “could” exceed capacity. By comparison, in the spring there was quite a bit of extra capacity at peak.

I give it a week, two at the most. The numbers will go up, I can’t see this as anything but trying to soften the impact. We’ve had one full lockdown in the spring and variable restrictions after that.

Again, I doubt it will affect me much. I’m going back to home delivery, for the most part anyway.
    So today, on the 3rd, he announced a regional plan, where sections of California will go into lockdown when ICU capacity drops below 15%. I heard it is expected most of CA will go into lockdown whithin a week. The Bay Area probably will have longer.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Most single-day US deaths since the beginning yesterday according to Worldometer, along with over 200,000 new cases.
    This is not looking good.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Have just heard that EU countries are upset, the EU is not yet due to approve. Low temperature distribution is also not yet clarified in UK.
    The only group more ponderous than the MHRA are the EMA, in the experience of My Wife The Professor. The MHRA have actually operated entirely within the EU decision-making framework--they've just used the "emergency approval" clause which is available to all EU national regulators. It was predictable that there would be posturing, with the early adopters selling themselves as well-organized, while being criticized for rushing, the late adopters characterizing themselves as careful, while being criticized for feet-dragging. But Fauci seems to have (entirely predictably) triggered an antagonistic and overblown response in the UK, which has in turned triggered weary rebukes from the EU, and round and round it will go. There has never been a single medicine in the entire history of medical regulatory bodies that has been simultaneously approved across the world. This one is no different from thousands of medicines before it, and people really just need to stop trying to read more into it than that.

Initial distribution to healthcare workers and social carers is reportedly pretty well sorted in Scotland. We'll see how that works in practice next week. Care home residents are more problematic. Pfizer currently distributes the vaccine in 1000-dose containers, which makes turning up to vaccinate just a few tens of care-home residents at a time, in multiple locations throughout the day, logistically complicated. But we just need clarification on what sort of temperatures are OK for "last mile" transport, or packages with smaller numbers of doses. In a way, the UK has complicated things for itself by approving early, because we'll end up having to hash out these problems while the rest of the world observes.

Grant Hutchison

A couple gets a positive test and still boards a plane to Hawaii where the authorities arrested them. They were taken to a designated isolation room where they were arrested on suspicion of second-degree reckless endangering.

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...est-in-nw.html

I don't know what soap bubble they're living in. I couldn't even fathom traveling for recreation right now.

It makes me kind of hope they get sick enough - but not too sick - to help them reflect on the error of their ways.

It sounds like they had already been on vacation and were trying to return home. That undoubtedly was an incentive to flout the rules, but once they tested positive, that was time to check in with local authorities and get a place to self isolate.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The only group more ponderous than the MHRA are the EMA, in the experience of My Wife The Professor. The MHRA have actually operated entirely within the EU decision-making framework--they've just used the "emergency approval" clause which is available to all EU national regulators. It was predictable that there would be posturing, with the early adopters selling themselves as well-organized, while being criticized for rushing, the late adopters characterizing themselves as careful, while being criticized for feet-dragging. But Fauci seems to have (entirely predictably) triggered an antagonistic and overblown response in the UK, which has in turned triggered weary rebukes from the EU, and round and round it will go. There has never been a single medicine in the entire history of medical regulatory bodies that has been simultaneously approved across the world. This one is no different from thousands of medicines before it, and people really just need to stop trying to read more into it than that.

Initial distribution to healthcare workers and social carers is reportedly pretty well sorted in Scotland. We'll see how that works in practice next week. Care home residents are more problematic. Pfizer currently distributes the vaccine in 1000-dose containers, which makes turning up to vaccinate just a few tens of care-home residents at a time, in multiple locations throughout the day, logistically complicated. But we just need clarification on what sort of temperatures are OK for "last mile" transport, or packages with smaller numbers of doses. In a way, the UK has complicated things for itself by approving early, because we'll end up having to hash out these problems while the rest of the world observes.

Grant Hutchison
    And I now see that that he has 'walked back' from his earlier comments about the approval process and claimed that he was merely trying to speak about the different process for approvals. He said - "I did not mean to imply any sloppiness even though it came out that way." To be fair to him he has been somewhat under pressure from certain places over the last few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    It makes me kind of hope they get sick enough - but not too sick ...
    No no no no, let them get really, really sick. It's only fair.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    No no no no, let them get really, really sick. It's only fair.
    But then they would take needed hospital resources that could go to those who better deserve it. And besides, I don’t feel they deserve that level of punishment just for being indifferent to the harm their thoughtless actions could bring to others. I doubt they actually intended anyone harm.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    And I now see that that he has 'walked back' from his earlier comments about the approval process and claimed that he was merely trying to speak about the different process for approvals. He said - "I did not mean to imply any sloppiness even though it came out that way." To be fair to him he has been somewhat under pressure from certain places over the last few months.
    I had a hunch it would get back to Fauci and that he would say something about it. My impression is that he just said it without thinking through the implications at the time. He has never struck me as someone who would intentionally engage in unfair statements just to promote our effort.

It’s going to be interesting, since the vaccines will be a large part of the big endgame there will undoubtedly be all sorts of nonsense and hurt feelings surrounding them.

Incidentally, my state and a number of others have set up their own expert panels to review vaccines before they will be allowed for use, so adding a step to the process. It clearly is an attempt to promote confidence among the public that are concerned with the rushed development and testing. That too has resulted in mixed responses - some annoyed that another layer has been added, calling it obstruction, some others that won’t trust any government effort or so called “Big Pharma” members, no matter what. Meh, what can you do?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser