Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1664

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Now they are talking about having it at Dollar General...

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Yes my wife and I had both shots from Pfizer. I had a lost of taste, maybe my wife had a headache for a day. The first shot caused sore arms, as did the second.
    I didnít think that loss of taste would be a side effect. I thought that was a result of the infection of certain cells in the nose...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I didnít think that loss of taste would be a side effect. I thought that was a result of the infection of certain cells in the nose...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You may be correct, but the vaccination distributes the Rna of Covid and thus give the body a "taste" of the virus.
    When your immune system recognises this virus, or parts of it, in the vaccine as being foreign, it responds by creating memory cells and antibodies that will protect you against future infection or disease. As a result, you will be less likely to have severe COVID-19 symptoms after a vaccination.
    That's why I believed that loss of taste, whether that was true or not, might be as a result of the vaccination.

Mrs. Extravoice got her first shot today. She is on Team Pfizer, while Iím on Team J&J (Janssen).
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

A childhood friend whose mother-in-law died of it is spouting dangerous lies about how the hospitals are paid "extra" for Covid deaths and therefore the patients aren't provided with better care, and she's refusing to accept that, just for starters, this is cruel toward nurses and other hospital employees who have been doing everything they can for a year to the detriment of their own physical and mental health.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    A childhood friend whose mother-in-law died of it is spouting dangerous lies about how the hospitals are paid "extra" for Covid deaths and therefore the patients aren't provided with better care, and she's refusing to accept that, just for starters, this is cruel toward nurses and other hospital employees who have been doing everything they can for a year to the detriment of their own physical and mental health.
    Yeah, sadly that one has been making the rounds in the CT universe for a while now. What probably kicked it off was the first CARES act from Congress that allocated and/or increased funding for the medical community in anticipation of higher ICU demand and incremental mortality.

the first part of your statement is correct, and as you, hopefully, indicate the second part is incorrect, and I hope that is what you intended by your response.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/3000638001/

Ask FactCheck's conclusion: "Recent legislation pays hospitals higher Medicare rates for COVID-19 patients and treatment, but there is no evidence of fraudulent reporting."

Julie Aultman, a member of the editorial board of the American Medical Associationís Journal of Ethics, told PolitiFact it is ďvery unlikely that physicians or hospitals will falsify data or be motivated by money to do so.Ē

They're paid higher rates because they need more care, which is not what she's saying.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

They're paid higher rates because they need more care, which is not what she's saying.
    Your friend is misunderstanding the original conspiracy theory, which was that the hospitals were claiming Covid for non-Covid patients, which would result in them getting more money without actually having to provide more care. Therefore, "free money".

It's more denigrating to the administration than to the frontline workers.

Which doesn't make it true, of course.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Well that 2010 study from the OMB estimated that there were $47.9 billion in improper payments for Medicare in 2010, out of a total estimated payout of $528 billion. Just about 9%.

That number was later downgraded somewhat, and not all "improper payments" are necessarily fraudulent (they might include mistakes, payments for legitimate treatment of legitimate patients, but which lacked proper documentation, etc.). So the amount of fraud might be lower. But, on the other hand, there may be undetected cases of fraud, because, surprise surprise, fraudsters usually try to cover up the evidence of their fraud.

I don't think anyone will seriously claim there is no Medicare fraud, or even very little. And I'm not sure why we would just assume that even if fraud is taking place for other types of medical services, Covid treatment must be exempt.

I think I would let the evidence speak to whether there is fraud or not, and how substantial it is. There might be an audit at some point, which will help determine the answers. But assuming there is no fraud strikes me as about as sensible as assuming that all Covid-related payments are fraudulent.
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?

Last spring I got curious about the apparent reduced incidence of cases on weekend and, naturally for me, started tracking USA Worldometer data in a spreadsheet. Because when the only tool you have is Excel, every problem looks like a spreadsheet. I backtracked to the first day for which Worldometer had data, March 15. That means I know have a full year of data in it.
    Current numbers of deaths and new cases are the lowest since last fall. I expect we'll have one more surge before it's done, due to premature openings, Spring Break, and the like.

Sorry about your friend, Gillian. We've got a couple of those people on the other forum. And I just saw an item on CNN saying a survey indicated 47% of members of one political party were going to avoid getting vaccinated.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Well that 2010 study from the OMB estimated that there were $47.9 billion in improper payments for Medicare in 2010, out of a total estimated payout of $528 billion. Just about 9%.

That number was later downgraded somewhat, and not all "improper payments" are necessarily fraudulent (they might include mistakes, payments for legitimate treatment of legitimate patients, but which lacked proper documentation, etc.). So the amount of fraud might be lower. But, on the other hand, there may be undetected cases of fraud, because, surprise surprise, fraudsters usually try to cover up the evidence of their fraud.

I don't think anyone will seriously claim there is no Medicare fraud, or even very little. And I'm not sure why we would just assume that even if fraud is taking place for other types of medical services, Covid treatment must be exempt.

I think I would let the evidence speak to whether there is fraud or not, and how substantial it is. There might be an audit at some point, which will help determine the answers. But assuming there is no fraud strikes me as about as sensible as assuming that all Covid-related payments are fraudulent.
    There is a guy here in my city that decided that the paycheck protection program was a good target for fraud. He must have modeled his scheme on the one from Office Space because they caught him real quick. As near as I can tell, he created three companies which is fine, but then he created imaginary employees. He did not get the payments, he got the police.

I suspect that this guy thought, "Gee, it's just a couple of websites, what is the harm?" The program requires going to a bank for a loan, filing supporting paperwork with the IRS who will then use that information to write a grant. It's not merely "a website" but three different levels of financial professionals vetting information. Defrauding them is rather difficult and painful. Kind of like sleeping on a fire ant hill. This is a great way to meet people in every level of law enforcement.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    There is a guy here in my city that decided that the paycheck protection program was a good target for fraud. He must have modeled his scheme on the one from Office Space because they caught him real quick. As near as I can tell, he created three companies which is fine, but then he created imaginary employees. He did not get the payments, he got the police.

I suspect that this guy thought, "Gee, it's just a couple of websites, what is the harm?" The program requires going to a bank for a loan, filing supporting paperwork with the IRS who will then use that information to write a grant. It's not merely "a website" but three different levels of financial professionals vetting information. Defrauding them is rather difficult and painful. Kind of like sleeping on a fire ant hill. This is a great way to meet people in every level of law enforcement.
    Well that may be, but it is apparently not so difficult that it can't be done. The OMB's estimate was it is done on payments amounting to 9% of the total, albeit there is considerable uncertainty (in both directions) about that estimate.

We are up to 30 deaths in province so far and about 1470 cases total. We had bit of up take in late February and early March. Mot of the case are in the northern and eastern part of the province and around we have had a few new cases but not that many. New border restriction going for any non essential travel is that you have to covid test within 3 days, plus a lot of people have to stay in certain approved hotels for 14 days. Just over 50,000 people have had at least on shot and next week pharmacies will be allowed to give ejections. But since the numbers in the maritimes are going down you might have the bubble opening up again, which is good because I have some books for my niece and some things that help her in the house she will renting this summer.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

May is apparently my medical month. I have two tests, a doctor's appointment and the first vaccine shot. I'm probably going to add a dentist appointment in there.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I can't remember if I had to show ID either time (I'll pay attention when I go with my wife for her second injection later today) but they do give you a record card with your name on it. I guess you could lie and claim to be someone else, but your proof of vaccination would be in that person's name so you could never prove you'd been vaccinated.
    Just to close the loop, they did not ask for ID, but did ask when her appointment was, confirmed her name and DOB (by asking), and she had her card from the first injection.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Just to close the loop, they did not ask for ID, but did ask when her appointment was, confirmed her name and DOB (by asking), and she had her card from the first injection.
    When I got my first shot, all the staff did was ask my name. No ID, no insurance, nothing. They found my name on their list and I got my shot. Waiting to see what Thursday (2nd shot) is like, and any reactions.

Anyone have any 2nd shot reactions?
    Do good work. óVirgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

When I got my first shot I had to show both an ID (driver's license) and my insurance card.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    We had the Moderna vaccine. On the night of our second injection i had fever and chills for a couple of hours and then I was OK. My wife, on the other hand, felt like she was developing the flu all through the second day and spent much of it in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Pfizer. For most of the next day I had chills and felt fatigued. Also some arm soreness.

My wife had redness around the injection site, that's all.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I had a Moderna vaccination 13 days ago. Felt lousy for about 24 hours, after which nothing but a slightly sore arm. However, I think I may be having a delayed reaction, as I have a rare (for me) headache, drowsiness, and some joint pain.

Two weeks until second dose. My uncle, who's in his mid-80s had the same regimen administered. Said no big deal after the first does, but that the second one wiped him out for several days. Well, he is my mom's half-brother, so I have fewer genes in common than your standard nephew, and maybe I won't be so affected.

An ID was asked for both shots for me on the northside.

Phizer, no ID, Indianapolis.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

It's probably OK to post this here, though officially perhaps not. Just a few hours ago the Tanzanian government announced that President John Magufuli has died. Officially they said it was due to heart failure, but I'm posting it here because he may be the first head of state to have died from COVID-19. He had been out of sight since the end of February, and about a week ago the Kenyan press announced that an unnamed African leader was being treated in Nairobi for COVID. And then about three days ago the prime minister announced that Magufuli was fine, and working so hard that he couldn't go out, and then a day later a vice-president implied that he was sick with something.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-56437852
    As above, so below

At the coffee stand there was a hand lettered sign saying "What is the one thing you hope to accomplish this year?" My instant answer was "Have a meal in a restaurant."
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    At the coffee stand there was a hand lettered sign saying "What is the one thing you hope to accomplish this year?" My instant answer was "Have a meal in a restaurant."
    I hear that a lot from people in the US.

I will most likely have both lunch and dinner in a restaurant today.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    I hear that a lot from people in the US.

I will most likely have both lunch and dinner in a restaurant today.
    I'm in the US, and I believe we've eaten in restaurants a half dozen times already this year.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I'm in the US, and I believe we've eaten in restaurants a half dozen times already this year.
    Headed out for lunch in a few minutes!

Safely send my children back into a school building.

"You can't erase icing."

Restaurant dining is so low on my priority list it's essentially unrecordable.
    My main priority for this year is to spend more than eight hours without having to see or hear another human being, or any evidence that other humans exist.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2021-Mar-18 at 04:11 PM.