Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    The Heath Robinson in me has woken up. Imagine two balloons, one prefilled with air, the other deflated and weak walled. The barber breathes from the first and blows into the second. They are located on a modified hat. Of course the barber must work fast!
    The set up of the lab in The Andromeda Strain— maybe more an opened glove box. No messing about with tubes

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    The set up of the lab in The Andromeda Strain— maybe more an opened glove box. No messing about with tubes
    Now I’m imagining a Futurama head-in-a-jar like situation, but with gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Maybe the barbers could wear snorkels with short breathing tubes that have ultraviolet lights in the tubes to kill viruses. The tubes would be opaque so the light wouldn't get in peoples' eyes.

My brother, who works for a large hospital group, says that every employee will be tested for coronavirus antibodies. Anyone without antibodies will be tested for the virus. Even his department that does IT support and rarely visits the hospitals will be tested.

Too bad we didn’t have this capability in April.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Maybe the barbers could wear snorkels with short breathing tubes that have ultraviolet lights in the tubes to kill viruses. The tubes would be opaque so the light wouldn't get in peoples' eyes.
    Unfortunately, it takes time to kill SARS-CoV-2 with UVC. Thirty seconds with existing LEDs, even at the sort of close range applicable. Inhaled droplets pass through a snorkel much faster than that.

Grant Hutchison

I’m thinking a see through wall with each side getting its own air supply.

We're down to zero known cases in the country (zero new cases for 17 days, and the recent 1 active case now considered recovered).

So from midnight tonight we go to "Level 1".

Basically the whole country is open internally, but our borders will have restrictions, and people are supposed to record where they've been in case cases pop up and contact tracing has to be done.

Nice, for once (as usual!), to live on an isolated island.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    We're down to zero known cases in the country (zero new cases for 17 days, and the recent 1 active case now considered recovered).

Basically the whole country is open internally, but our borders will have restrictions, and people are supposed to record where they've been in case cases pop up and contact tracing has to be done.

That's great to hear. I hope that other places will gradually get to that stage too. Incidentally, what are the restrictions on entry? Is is set individually by country, or is it basically a restriction on entry by all non-residents?
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    That's great to hear. I hope that other places will gradually get to that stage too. Incidentally, what are the restrictions on entry? Is is set individually by country, or is it basically a restriction on entry by all non-residents?
    Having trouble nailing that down to the rigor of CQ, sorry. I think it's 14 days isolation for people coming in (like the crew for the next Avatar movie), and I don't think it matters which country is involved (though there was talk of making N.Z. + Oz a "bubble" at one time).

I'll add more if I can reference a good source.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post

If you don't mind my asking, what's the total population and total number of confirmed cases?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, what's the total population and total number of confirmed cases?
    I'm not from New Zealand, but I see a total of 1,154 confirmed cases reported there, and a population of about 4.9 million people.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

I recently saw the following comment to a news story related to COVID-19.
    “We’ll have to retire the phrase, ‘Avoid it like the plague’, because people don’t actually do that.”

While I don't think many would be surprised that cases of 'normal' flu would have dropped because of the changes bought in to combat Covid-19 the amount of change is a bit of a surprise. Last year was a very bad one here for flu infections and the first three months of this year were showing a similar trend. However, after physical distancing and the huge emphasis on hygiene measures the rate of infection has dropped by 99% in the last month. To quote - "There were only 208 laboratory-confirmed cases of influenza nationwide last month – compared to 30,567 at the same time in 2019." This article points out that there was a 50% drop in March, the new measures only really coming into effect in the later part of that month, then a 98% drop in April leading to this 99% reduction in May.

There has also been a massive push for people to get flu vaccinations. Plus, there has also been equally massive drop in International Travel, down something like 98%, which would decrease the chance of the arrival of new strains of flu.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/cli...giene-australi

If I remember correctly, likelihood of transmission with the flu is significantly less than for Covid-19. If true, it’s reasonable that the effect on the flu would be dramatic.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    If I remember correctly, likelihood of transmission with the flu is significantly less than for Covid-19. If true, it’s reasonable that the effect on the flu would be dramatic.
    I just didn't expect the reduction to be that dramatic. Because flu had already become so well established I expected it to keep ticking over and thought that something like a 2/3rd reduction would be an excellent result.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2020-Jun-14 at 09:33 AM.

The more personally threatened you feel by COVID-19, the more likely you are to hoard toilet paper. SCIENCE!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...ty/ar-BB15piJ1
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    The more personally threatened you feel by COVID-19, the more likely you are to hoard toilet paper. SCIENCE!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...ty/ar-BB15piJ1
    Original paper.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Original paper.

Grant Hutchison
    "Within a few weeks, the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic has turned into a severe global health crisis in spring 2019." From the first page, opening of a paragraph. The date must be wrong, 2020 is correct.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    "Within a few weeks, the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic has turned into a severe global health crisis in spring 2019." From the first page, opening of a paragraph. The date must be wrong, 2020 is correct.
    Yes, PLOS needs to be a bit more careful with their proofreading...
    As above, so below

The supermarket now has displays of face masks and hand sanitizer, and a virtual WALL of TP. But there's still no dang Charmin!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The supermarket now has displays of face masks and hand sanitizer, and a virtual WALL of TP. But there's still no dang Charmin!
    It got squeezed off the shelf.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It got squeezed off the shelf.
    Ouch! I can hardly bear that!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Just fyi if you really want Charmin, check Amazon. I haven’t bought any since I got a decent reserve, but I check every now and then out of curiosity. It looks like the shortages are gone or massively reduced. There is a wide variety of different brands/types including Charmin and they aren’t marked “Out of Stock.”

It was interesting - I had most of what I needed and wanted at the start of the CU, but for a few things that were hard or impossible to find. For instance, I was low on acetaminophen. Hard to find, but I finally managed to buy a large bottle. It lasts for many years (in hard pill form), so I won’t have to get any more for some time. I had some other odds and ends like that. Sugar, for instance, was also initially hard to get and I really was down to just enough for another few days before I was able to get more. Plain sugar is another item that lasts forever as long as it stays dry and bugs don’t get to it, so from now on I decided I will always keep one spare ten pound bag.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I usually buy the 4-pack at the 99˘ Store. I don't think the brand name is Charmin.

Dexamethasone produces an impressive reduction in mortality for those who are critically ill with COVID-19.
    Good news is, it's a cheap and readily available drug. Bad news is, it's a cheap and readily available drug. My colleagues are already bracing to manage the inevitable tidal wave of healthy people suffering steroid side-effects produced by misguided self-medication. Manufacturers are going to have to start printing "THIS DRUG WILL NOT PREVENT COVID-19 INFECTION" on the packaging.

Grant Hutchison

Dexamethasone produces an impressive reduction in mortality for those who are critically ill with COVID-19.
    Good news is, it's a cheap and readily available drug. Bad news is, it's a cheap and readily available drug. My colleagues are already bracing to manage the inevitable tidal wave of healthy people suffering steroid side-effects produced by misguided self-medication. Manufacturers are going to have to start printing "THIS DRUG WILL NOT PREVENT COVID-19 INFECTION" on the packaging.

Grant Hutchison
    Is it available without a prescription where you live? I just assumed one was required.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Is it available without a prescription where you live? I just assumed one was required.
    I’d assume it requires a prescription, since it can have serious side effects and can cause a type of chemical dependency, but a lot of people will ask for it, and some doctors will prescribe it, and probably isn’t too hard to get through not quite above board means since I doubt it would be controlled like opioids.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    People find a way. If there's one thing working in emergency medicine teaches you, it's to never underestimate the ingenuity of dumb people. Steroids are actually pretty readily available on the black market, and are regularly abused by body builders and athletes.

Oddly enough, I once bought some dexamethasone over the counter in a pharmacy, decades ago, in (I think) Sri Lanka, just because I could and was amazed that I could. (Though in that case I should probably put "dexamethasone" in inverted commas, since I don't know if the recognizable manufacturer's packaging contained any actual active drug--it could have been like the "Chanel No 5" my wife bought from a man in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.)

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Jun-17 at 07:35 AM.

Steroids are actually pretty readily available on the black market, and are regularly abused by body builders and athletes.
    That’s interesting- do body builders use corticosteroids too? I thought they used anabolic steroids only, which, to my (admittedly limited) knowledge have significantly different effects. From my experience and understanding, corticosteroids can work against building muscle.

By the way, my primary knowledge about corticosteroids comes from taking prednisone for an extended period in varying doses when my Crohn’s disease was bad. I ended up with a buffalo hump (for others, a large fat deposit on the upper back), a big weight gain (50 pounds overweight starting from about 30 pounds underweight before treatment) and a number of other unpleasant side effects. Eventually a better treatment was found (I didn’t respond well to a couple of standard ones tried earlier) and I was able get off of it. (Which took time, since you have to taper off if you’ve been using it for a long time - the body stops producing cortisol and adapts to the drug.) Also took much of a year for my weight to get to near normal and to get rid of the buffalo hump.

Of course, since I was taking it long term, the side effects really multiplied. I’ve had to take a short course once since then for a flare up, and that wasn’t too bad. Still, I was reluctant to take it again. I really hated that drug, it was just better than the alternative.

From what I can see online, dexamethasone has the same effects as prednisone, but is longer lasting and is stronger for the same dose. I feel for anyone that makes the mistake of taking a significant dose of that stuff long term.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2020-Jun-17 at 08:53 AM.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    That’s interesting- do body builders use corticosteroids too? I thought they used anabolic steroids only, which, to my (admittedly limited) knowledge have significantly different effects. From my experience and understanding, corticosteroids can work against building muscle.
    Yes, anabolic steroids for body builders. Corticosteroids have various anti-inflammatory and mood altering properties that are thought to enhance exercise performance, and in low intermittent doses seem to promote healing of muscle damage. I was referring to steroids in general, since I doubt if people who are disposed to fatuous self-medication will make much distinction.

Grant Hutchison