Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061
Results 1,801 to 1,808 of 1808

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Tomorrow, California is lifting nearly all restrictions. Stores will be able to go back to 100% capacity, restaurants can do what they want, and so on. People who have had their vaccine won’t be required to wear a mask, but nobody will be checking, so it will be an honor system. There still will be some cases where people will be expected to wear masks routinely, like doctor’s offices, but the restrictions are mostly over. They are still pushing to get more vaccinated with no cost lotteries for prizes like stays at high end hotels with a nice vacation plan to provide incentive.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Also, Safeway will now pack your reusable shopping bag.
    Our local grocery stores are still not doing so. The pandemic might have lead to a temporary drop in CO2 emissions, but I suspect it has lead to a big rise in plastic waste.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I've definitely seen a lot fewer masked people. When the kid with them is masked, I always assume the parents are vaccinated. When there's no kid, I'm not sure, and I don't want to be around them.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I have no idea what is going on with masks. If you are vaccinated, there is no mask mandate. However, it seems every place is allowed to have it's own policy. At the post office and doctor's office, I need a mask. At the grocery store or rock concert* with more 5000 people, no mask. It's like 2020 is running in reverse.

It's going to take a while to figure out which thing is preferable. I carry a mask and guess when I arrive. Lot of times, I see a sign that says no mask required and everyone is masked anyway. I'm literally crowd-source my choice. Lots of masks, I wear a mask. No masks, I don't wear a mask. Then there is the special case where I have put a mask on by habit and then I don't take it off no matter what other people are doing.

*Not that I've been to a rock concert in the past year or so. That is my September goal.
    Solfe

Just when the vaccination rollout in Australia was starting to gather steam, with around 25% of the population having received at least their first shot, there has been another setback. As I discussed a few weeks ago the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine had been restricted to those over 50 in Australia. Unfortunately, there has been another recent death from blood clotting caused by the vaccine. This time it was a 52 year old woman and unlike the first victim she had no co-morbidities. There was already some 'vaccine hesitancy' following the first death but while there had been some other reports of clotting problems they had been successfully treated until now.

This second death was causing more hesitancy and some medical groups were recommending that the age limit be increased. There have only being two reported deaths from around 3.7 million doses given. However in the current situation here, if you are under 60, you are currently more likely to die from the vaccination than from Covid-19. Today the "Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation" has recommended not to use this vaccine on the under 60's. This has been accepted by the government. All under 60's will now be offered the Pfizer vaccine. There will probably be a quick spike in the number of 50 - 60 years old being vaccinated but supplies of Pfizer are limited. The problem is that, like in many countries, the manufacturer has not come near to meeting the contracted dates and quantities. Other vaccines, plus more Pfizer, are scheduled to arrive later this year but it seems as though there certainly will be another slowdown.

Those who have already had their first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine will be given a second dose of it as there have been, to date, no reports in Australia of anyone having a 'clotting' incident after a second dose.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post

*Not that I've been to a rock concert in the past year or so. That is my September goal.
    We’ve purchased tickets for what I guess would be considered a boomer-aged pop/folk concert in late August. I figure that by then we should know if the pandemic is really tamped down in this area. Also, it is at an outdoor venue.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I still wear a mask because I want the kids to keep wearing theirs. And because, frankly, I assume that people who don't want to wear masks will also not want to get vaccinated and will lie.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have no idea what is going on with masks. If you are vaccinated, there is no mask mandate. However, it seems every place is allowed to have it's own policy. At the post office and doctor's office, I need a mask. At the grocery store or rock concert* with more 5000 people, no mask. It's like 2020 is running in reverse.

It's going to take a while to figure out which thing is preferable. I carry a mask and guess when I arrive. Lot of times, I see a sign that says no mask required and everyone is masked anyway. I'm literally crowd-source my choice. Lots of masks, I wear a mask. No masks, I don't wear a mask. Then there is the special case where I have put a mask on by habit and then I don't take it off no matter what other people are doing.

As with many things, private businesses can set what policies they wish on masks. Pretty much all the stores around here post their policies on the door. My informal impression is most have gone to a "mask optional" policy for customers but still most of their employees wear masks. Medical facilities seem to still be requiring them almost universally (makes sense to me).

I just bring one with me always and if I'm unsure as to the policy, or how safe I feel, I err on the side of caution and wear it. How big a deal is it to wear one for the few minutes you are in a store? I make my personal assessment as to safety based on how crowded the space is, how well ventilated I feel it is, and how much I think the clientele of this establishment will have gotten vaccinated.

At the company I work for, masks are now optional for people who are fully vaccinated (you have to show HR proof of your vaccination) and if you are not working in close-quarters. I mostly go unmasked at work.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules