Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Yeah, I've put off my dentist, in part because I won't take the kids but of course can't ask anyone to babysit right now.

I've been talking to one of the office workers at Simon's new school, and she says they've gotten a lot of last-minute enrollments. Meaning I'm not the only person for whom dealing with school was a low priority, in part in the hopes that school would figure things out by the time I had to deal with it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I feel like I can talk about this now.

We had a Covid scare in my household this week.

My nephew woke up with several symptoms, including shortness of breath. He had no fever, and we thought it might be allergies, but we have several vulnerable persons living together including my elderly mother who has asthma. So we immediately took him to get a Covid-19 test. The results would take "48 to 72 hours", they said. It actually took considerably longer.

This was the day after my niece's birthday party, so we had to warn all of our former party guests about the situation. Stressing all of those families out, too.

For days, my nephew was in isolation and we all wore masks at home. Hand washing and sanitizing everything, already a habit, soon reached frenzied levels. We waited and waited. Finally, my sister grew tired of waiting and called the office back and was mercifully told... by the receptionist, not a medical practitioner... that the test had already come back negative. It was an additional 24 hours after that, when the medical staff finally contacted us to officially give us the same news. We gladly shared the message to party guests, friends and relatives.

It was an extremely fearful and frustrating week, especially for my nephew. But I'm very, very happy it's over and that the situation resolved safely for all of us.

Now we can go back to merely our normal level of paranoia about the pandemic.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Close!

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I feel like I can talk about this now.

We had a Covid scare in my household this week.

My nephew woke up with several symptoms, including shortness of breath. He had no fever, and we thought it might be allergies, but we have several vulnerable persons living together including my elderly mother who has asthma. So we immediately took him to get a Covid-19 test. The results would take "48 to 72 hours", they said. It actually took considerably longer.

This was the day after my niece's birthday party, so we had to warn all of our former party guests about the situation. Stressing all of those families out, too.

For days, my nephew was in isolation and we all wore masks at home. Hand washing and sanitizing everything, already a habit, soon reached frenzied levels. We waited and waited. Finally, my sister grew tired of waiting and called the office back and was mercifully told... by the receptionist, not a medical practitioner... that the test had already come back negative. It was an additional 24 hours after that, when the medical staff finally contacted us to officially give us the same news. We gladly shared the message to party guests, friends and relatives.

It was an extremely fearful and frustrating week, especially for my nephew. But I'm very, very happy it's over and that the situation resolved safely for all of us.

Now we can go back to merely our normal level of paranoia about the pandemic.
    Glad that it worked out ok. Keep up your cautions!

I wish we could track down and punish the person responsible for inventing "elbow bumping". Really, what's that about?
    "OK, so we shouldn't shake hands any more, but let's find another way in which we can have people stand face to face in close proximity."

I'm glad I live in a culture where a nod and a wave is accepted as a standard form of greeting for friends and family.

Grant Hutchison

The students in one of my classes seem rather well adapted for wearing masks all day long. On Monday, we'll find out how my younger students do. We have two cohorts, so I have two classes. It's interesting. I hope I'm not tapped for online education. That is kind of rough.
    Solfe

I was nasal swabbed this morning at a drive-through tent at our nearby hospital. It was unpleasant, but not painful. Results should be available in 48 hours.

Meanwhile, I have to quarantine as much as possible to avoid infection between now and Friday, when Iím scheduled for a colonoscopy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I wish we could track down and punish the person responsible for inventing "elbow bumping". Really, what's that about?
    "OK, so we shouldn't shake hands any more, but let's find another way in which we can have people stand face to face in close proximity."

I'm glad I live in a culture where a nod and a wave is accepted as a standard form of greeting for friends and family.

Grant Hutchison
    I feel the same way. As a person living in East Asia, isnít a bow enough? People have been doing it for centuries, and it works quite well...
    As above, so below

Gah. Another sickie in my family. 3 or 4 of the COVID-19 symptoms, but no fever or cough. Probably just a cold but we can't take the chance with so many susceptibles here. Quarantine and test time... again.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

i'm tired of wearing a mask to protect others. When I have to go out today I'm going to wear an N-95 to protect ME! And my wife. Maybe it'll help with the smoke in our air, as well.
    Perhaps I'll disable the outlet valve, however.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    i'm tired of wearing a mask to protect others. When I have to go out today I'm going to wear an N-95 to protect ME! And my wife. Maybe it'll help with the smoke in our air, as well.
    Perhaps I'll disable the outlet valve, however.
    I have an N95 mask that I use when I go grocery shopping or any place particularly worrisome. Otherwise, I wear one of the cloth masks Mrs Extravoice made to CDC recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa