Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

You know what's ten times more depressing than staying home? Going to town.
    Closed businesses.
    Restaurants trying to keep afloat with makeshift drive-thru windows.
    People in masks.
    One-way aisles in the store, with signs telling you how far apart to stand.
    Plastic barriers between customers and staff.
    Worrying about having to touch the screen at the self-checkout.
    Etc.

And on the trivial side, I forgot the dang shopping list so I missed a couple of things.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I'm grateful that several of our local businesses have active websites. There are two stores I dearly love in our downtown that it would break my heart to lose. I ordered from one of them last week and included a note to that effect in the "special instructions or comments" section.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I'm grateful that my wife, the hairdresser, loves her job and her customers. Her salon was closed for about five weeks and it was tough on her. She's smart with her savings but being a serious over-thinker, she still fretted. But much more than that, it was the whole having-nothing-to-do situation. Aside from cooking and shopping, she's not much of a hobbyist. Hairdressing is her creative outlet and her social scene. She loves talking with her customers and she missed. It didn't help that I'm not that much of a talker. I have my moments but I spend a lot of time in my own head.

Her shop was allowed to reopen on Tuesday and she's been busy and tired. But I know she's happy to have her customers back and apparently, they feel the same way about her. She said the tips have been "like Christmas" and she's been somewhat taken aback by it.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    You know what's ten times more depressing than staying home? Going to town.
    People in masks.
    One-way aisles in the store, with signs telling you how far apart to stand.
    Plastic barriers between customers and staff.
    Worrying about having to touch the screen at the self-checkout.
    Etc.
    Depressing, true, but it keeps my wife alive working at CVS, so no complaints from me there.
    Do good work. Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I'm grateful that my wife, the hairdresser, loves her job and her customers. Her salon was closed for about five weeks and it was tough on her. She's smart with her savings but being a serious over-thinker, she still fretted. But much more than that, it was the whole having-nothing-to-do situation. Aside from cooking and shopping, she's not much of a hobbyist. Hairdressing is her creative outlet and her social scene. She loves talking with her customers and she missed. It didn't help that I'm not that much of a talker. I have my moments but I spend a lot of time in my own head.

Her shop was allowed to reopen on Tuesday and she's been busy and tired. But I know she's happy to have her customers back and apparently, they feel the same way about her. She said the tips have been "like Christmas" and she's been somewhat taken aback by it.
    We haven't reopened yet, but as I noted in another thread my county is on the list for possibly being able to do so a bit early. My wife will be thrilled to be able to get her hair done.

Another thing I should have done when it started looking like it would get serious, but was still reasonably safe: I should have gotten my hair cut. I already had put it off too long for my preference and even if I could now, I am not ready to risk my life for a hair cut. Besides, the governor indicated that while some more things will open up in phase one probably around the end of thIs month, business requiring close contact will have to wait for phase two which probably is months away.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

There are some advantages to just never getting your hair cut, I suppose; I'm not feeling the loss.

Talked to my best friend yesterday about our faire boss's daughter; it seems she is determined that, even if we do end up having some of our faire season this year, she's not letting her dad go. He has damaged lungs and a compromised immune system, and she doesn't think he should take the risk until there's a vaccine. She's pretty sure her dad would die if he caught it, and she's frankly not wrong. Or at least not likely to be wrong. The August faire posted something on Facebook the other day about how we're still going to be open, and . . . we'll see.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There are some advantages to just never getting your hair cut, I suppose; I'm not feeling the loss.

Talked to my best friend yesterday about our faire boss's daughter; it seems she is determined that, even if we do end up having some of our faire season this year, she's not letting her dad go. He has damaged lungs and a compromised immune system, and she doesn't think he should take the risk until there's a vaccine. She's pretty sure her dad would die if he caught it, and she's frankly not wrong. Or at least not likely to be wrong. The August faire posted something on Facebook the other day about how we're still going to be open, and . . . we'll see.
    I'd be surprised if any of those big events happen this year; most of those kinds events around here are canceled at least through July.

But if they do have the Faire and they require you to wear a mask, I know the perfect outfit. (and yes, I know it isn't exactly the right time period, but I also doubt they had smoked turkey drumsticks in medieval Europe)
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I checked on the website for Burlington Parks and Rec a day or two ago to see if there was anything about the Pumpkin Pitch. There was not. I'll be surprised if it happens, even at the end of September.

I finally got my hair cut in I dont know how many weeks. Looking at the floor youd have thought the barber had been grooming a sheepdog.

I went to get a haircut in March but thought that four guys waiting for only two barbers were too many, so I put it off. I usually get a haircut in the early afternoon when I'm often the only customer. Barber shops aren't required to be closed in Arizona but that doesn't make a haircut a good idea, so I'm getting shaggy. But I can't complain too much since I'm still healthy and working.

Before all this started, I wanted a haircut. Today, I pulled out the clippers and it's all gone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	me.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	410.0 KB 
ID:	25205
    Solfe

I should get a trimcomb or something. Less hair on the back of my neck would be nice when the temperature exceeds 100F.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I finally got my hair cut in I don’t know how many weeks. Looking at the floor you’d have thought the barber had been grooming a sheepdog.
    I get a haircut two or three times a year whether I need it or not. Usually I don't.

Im mostly bald, so Mrs Extravoice cuts my hair every week or two using Wahl clippers we purchased about 5 years ago. So, Im good.

Unfortunately, Mrs EV canceled her haircut appointment at the salon just as the pandemic was ramping up. So, she is seriously overdue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

In the UK, like many other countries, we have a "clap for carers" event when people stand at their windows or front doors, on their balconies or in their gardens, and applaud National Health Service workers and other carers.
    We're now reportedly seeing a little spike in visits to hospital Accident & Emergency departments immediately after that event.

It reminds me of a study done by a colleague of mine, years ago, which showed that charity parachute jumps at the local airfield cost the health service more money than they raised.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    In the UK, like many other countries, we have a "clap for carers" event when people stand at their windows or front doors, on their balconies or in their gardens, and applaud National Health Service workers and other carers.
    We're now reportedly seeing a little spike in visits to hospital Accident & Emergency departments immediately after that event.

It reminds me of a study done by a colleague of mine, years ago, which showed that charity parachute jumps at the local airfield cost the health service more money than they raised.

Grant Hutchison
    That's bad.

Yesterday, I did a curb side pick up for some medicine and noticed that the workers put the bags of medicine that they touched in a larger plastic bag, which two people touched. To protect me. Thanks, I think.

I am reminded of Issac Asimov's Foundation series where society breaks down to the point that starship engineers have to do nonsensical rituals to repair things. We are kind of at that point with personal protection. We need to march it back to "Keep It Simple, Stupid".

In other insanity, my parents who don't leave the house for weeks at a time walked into a Walmart and freaked out at all the protective measures. They then took the social media to complain about "their rights". Annoyed my wife to no end. The only valid take-a-way from this is, my parents don't leave the house for weeks at a time under normal circumstances, neither "rights" nor "public policy" is really at issue. They were just embarrassed by their lack of knowledge and are lashing out. I'm not terribly inclined to urge people to watch the news, but maybe they need to watch the news every once in a while.
    Solfe

My faire boss keeps going on about how he doesn't need to be told how to be careful but also a lot of people aren't careful anyway so clearly the restrictions aren't worth it, and I really wish he'd think for two seconds about what he's saying. Graham's sister lives in Sweden, and she's grateful that she's on maternity leave and her husband works from home anyway. It means they can stay home regardless of Sweden's "just let everyone catch it" policy.

Meanwhile, my cousin's wife suggested yesterday this was caused by GMOs.

"You can't erase icing."

Coincidentally, in the other thread, I just posted some news from Sweden. Their estimate of the reproductive number of their epidemic suggest they've got it below one (which is where everyone wants to be), and a spokesman for the WHO has suggested that Sweden may represent a future model of the "new normal" for the rest of us.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Meanwhile, my cousin's wife suggested yesterday this was caused by GMOs.
    I agree, Sweden was created with GMOs. I mean.... come on.... how else are you going to get that many blonds.

Oh.... you mean the COVID-19 virus.... oh, well that's completely different..... never mind.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Coincidentally, in the other thread, I just posted some news from Sweden. Their estimate of the reproductive number of their epidemic suggest they've got it below one (which is where everyone wants to be), and a spokesman for the WHO has suggested that Sweden may represent a future model of the "new normal" for the rest of us.

Grant Hutchison
    Unrelated to Sweden, but given your background I have a question: How common are viruses that pose no symptoms? There are estimates that up to 50% of Covid-19 patients are completely asymptomatic, and I just can't wrap my head around how a virus can both be essentially invisible to some and deadly to others.
    Of all the sciences cultivated by mankind, Astronomy is acknowledged to be, and undoubtedly is, the most sublime, the most interesting, and the most useful. For, by knowledge derived from this science, not only the bulk of the Earth is discovered, but our very faculties are enlarged with the grandeur of the ideas it conveys, our minds exalted above their low contracted prejudices. - James Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
    How common are viruses that pose no symptoms?
    For respiratory viruses, asymptomatic infections are very common indeed if you go looking for them, often making up more than half of the infections found. Significantly, in the linked paper, more than half of all the common coronavirus infections were asymptomatic. So this property of SARS-CoV-2 that journalists kept announcing as astonishing is actually pretty standard stuff. From very early on, the existence of an asymptomatic cohort was more or less taken as a given--it was (and still is) just a debate over how big it would be.
    There's also evidence from the four "common cold" coronaviruses that even though your antibodies wane, and you can be reinfected after a couple of years, you end up with an asymptomatic infection--so there's a level of immunity persisting, perhaps cell-mediated. That's something we're going to need to monitor with COVID-19--when will we see antibodies waning, what will that actually imply for immunity, and is it possible we could get asymptomatic transmission from reinfected people (if reinfection actually occurs)?

Grant Hutchison

A friend, his husband, and their kids are taking part in a study for I believe the University of California San Francisco that involved first getting a test (all negative) and then getting an antibody test, the results of which haven't come back yet. This sounds fascinating, and I wish we'd do it on a considerably larger scale.

"You can't erase icing."

There was a section on BBC R4's "More or Less" today about an (informal) study by an A&E doctor who found that roughly the same number of children had gone to hospital with broken bones as the same time last year, but the range of causes was massively different. Last year it was all falls and football, this year it was trampolines (and a few other things).

From what I have read about the UK (maybe England) recently, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some visits to hospital by people attacked for "not clapping enough".

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
    Unrelated to Sweden, but given your background I have a question: How common are viruses that pose no symptoms?
    Kind of related to that: is it true that if you visit a doctor with a general not-very-specific but not-too-serious complaint of "not feeling very well" they will likely say "it's probably a virus" meaning "I have no idea, there's probably nothing I can do so don't worry about it unless it doesn't go away in a week or so"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    I should get a trimcomb or something. Less hair on the back of my neck would be nice when the temperature exceeds 100F.
    A high of 103F is forecast for this afternoon. I shaved a lot of hair off the back of my neck with a disposable twin blade razor that I use for shaving. It probably looks awful but I can't see it. I can't seem to find a hand mirror although I think I have one. I couldn't hold my phone far enough away to use its camera. It probably looked awful before being shaved anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    A high of 103F is forecast for this afternoon. I shaved a lot of hair off the back of my neck with a disposable twin blade razor that I use for shaving. It probably looks awful but I can't see it. I can't seem to find a hand mirror although I think I have one. I couldn't hold my phone far enough away to use its camera. It probably looked awful before being shaved anyway.
    Did you try standing with your back to your bathroom mirror and using your phone camera on your reflection?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I didn't think of that. If it's too far I could zoom in. Maybe I'll try that later after I drag myself out of bed.

I wonder if PetersCreek's wife makes housecalls. My wife's hair is getting seriously long; longer than I've ever seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Did you try standing with your back to your bathroom mirror and using your phone camera on your reflection?
    That worked. By using the front camera I could see the back of my head on the screen without having to take any pictures. Thanks.