Page 73 of 79 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2357

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

I didn't refuse the booster, I was refused the booster (by the pharmacy) after I asked for it!
    Apparently if I'd asked today it would have been ok. This has been really stupid.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I didn't refuse the booster, I was refused the booster (by the pharmacy) after I asked for it!
    Apparently if I'd asked today it would have been ok. This has been really stupid.
    Timing is evrything, you should know that.

I'm going to try to get a booster next week but I fully expect similar results to yours. Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I'm going to try to get a booster next week but I fully expect similar results to yours. Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.
    It sounds like it was officially okayed yesterday. I may try this afternoon.
    Meanwhile, the USA is averaging about 100,000 new cases and over a thousand deaths daily, far higher than the same time last year. This is really bad! And we've had about 700,000 total deaths.

Well NB is under restrictions again because there is a spike in one area today in the province there 82 new case and one death bringing the total to 52.

Also yesterday just outside an University in a neighboring province, there was party of over 1000 ten people were arrested and many others got tickets and the police are investigating. This University has the only the medical degree program in the area, the university itself is distancing itself from the gathering. Also a major university in Ontario had a similar gathering. I guess some people haven't got the message about Covid.

Now back to reading about light reflecting off of planets.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Look, I'm glad the schools here are taking the pandemic seriously. However, I think some of the policies need to be thought through a little better. In our district, if a child has any symptom off one list or two symptoms off another, they have to stay home for ten days. Leaving aside that his school nurse somehow thought 98.8 was a fever, I'm not sure how they deal with things like allergies, given sneezing and a runny nose means staying home for ten days. Meanwhile, in a friend's district, having any one of the symptoms on their list means staying home for ten days. An alternate diagnosis and a doctor's note in our district means your kid can come back; in theirs, the kid still has to stay home for the longer of the two isolation periods, regardless of what causes the symptom. One of the symptoms on their list is a headache, which theoretically means ten days at home for . . . just having a headache. Worse, one of the symptoms on theirs is fatigue. Now, I know that the fatigue of Covid isn't just "boy, I'm tired," but . . . .

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The whole 98.6 thing is kinda stupid anyway. The guy who came up with the "normal" temperature (I'm sure someone will be along to remind me) took his wife's temperature for a few days, averaged it, and rounded to 37C, which is 98.6F.

My Worldometer tracking shows US cases trending down a bit, with the 7-day average now below 100,000. It's still substantially higher than this time last year.

I just got scooped up in the list of symptoms. I have a cold, so sneezing, coughing, runny nose, aches and fatigue. I work in a call center, they don't want me around until I've had a Covid test.

Fine, I got the test this morning. The process was simple. Check-in, wait in the car for 30 minutes, check the vitals and a gentle swabbing of the nose. Like the vaccine needles, the swab is small and doesn't really go very far up the nose as compared to what the media likes to show in the stock footage of testing.

I was honestly expecting one of those "digging for brain matter" tests like the flu or strep throat test. It was vaguely awkward having someone put a swab up my nose, but that's always going to be a strange moment. Physical discomfort wasn't an issue.

I'll find out in 24-72 hours. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2021-Sep-29 at 05:48 PM.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Fine, I got the test this morning. The process was simple. Check-in, wait in the car for 30 minutes, check the vitals and a gentle swabbing of the nose. Like the vaccine needles, the swab is small and doesn't really go very far up the nose as compared to what the media likes to show in the stock footage of testing.
    You were lucky. Our nurse interned with Dr. Mengele.

I just got scooped up in the list of symptoms. I have a cold, so sneezing, coughing, runny nose, aches and fatigue. I work in a call center, they don't want me around until I've had a Covid test.

I was honestly expecting one of those "digging for brain matter" tests like the flu or strep throat test. It was vaguely awkward having someone put a swab up my nose, but that's always going to be a strange moment. Physical discomfort wasn't an issue.

I'll find out in 24-72 hours. Wish me luck.
    Good luck! I got the swab about eleven feet into the sinuses test three or four years ago when I thought I might have flu. I didn't. I had RSV. Damn near the sickest I've ever been. At least when I took my wife to the ER about a week later, they took my test results as an indicator and didn't do the swab on her. But she was still very sick.

Good luck! I got the swab about eleven feet into the sinuses test three or four years ago when I thought I might have flu. I didn't. I had RSV. Damn near the sickest I've ever been. At least when I took my wife to the ER about a week later, they took my test results as an indicator and didn't do the swab on her. But she was still very sick.
    I got the results back, no Covid, just normal cold sick. I am not terribly surprised.
    Solfe

I got the results back, no Covid, just normal cold sick. I am not terribly surprised.
    Sorry about the cold, but glad it isnít COVID. You have enough on your plate right now.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

....the swab is small and doesn't really go very far up the nose as compared to what the media likes to show in the stock footage of testing....
    That's good to hear (also about the negative finding!). What I hate is how the media relentlessly shows people getting injected with the vaccine. I don't mind getting shots, but I certainly don't watch the thin needle being shoved through my skin, and I don't even like it seeing others get injected! But the media apparently just loves it, showing one after another after another. Spare me!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

There are a couple of different routes for nasal Covid swabs. One is the nasopharyngeal, which goes in horizontally and all the way to the back of the nose; the other is the anterior nares or middle turbinate, which goes in at a forty-five-degree upward angle for about an inch. Anterior nares just swabs around the inside of the nostril, whereas middle turbinate goes a little farther in and is a little more uncomfortable.
    In the UK, where we use self-testing kits a lot for asymptomatic people, the swab is middle turbinate in adults, but looks like anterior nares in kids. Ive lost count of the number of middle turbinate swabs I've now done on myself, and it's really pretty trivial stuff.
    I've never had a nasopharyngeal swab, but I have had a nasendoscopy with a rigid scope. There's definitely something a little disconcerting about watching several inches of steel disappear inside your head.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

I’m not sure whether to mention this in this thread or the other, but of course there is the huge news of the Covid-19 antiviral medicine molnupiravir that appears to be quite effective. Of course they are emphasizing it should not be considered an alternative to vaccines but some will undoubtedly use it that way. As far as I can tell, this drug has gone through proper double-blind testing and sounds like the real deal.

This sounds great - it could reduce hospitalizations in breakthrough cases and otherwise, combined with Covid-19 vaccines it could be an effective tool to help to get things back to normal. Here’s an article at CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/02/healt...day/index.html

It has strongly positive comments from experts I believe are trustworthy, like Dr. Gottlieb that also emphasize it should not be considered a vaccine alternative. Hopefully this will start making a difference before long.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Oct-02 at 10:19 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Yes, Merck and Ridgeback halted the Phase III MOVe-OUT trial after a planned interim analysis showed good efficacy in reducing hospitalizations in mild/moderate Covid. I haven't seen a formal report yet, but there's some detail on the Merck website, albeit at the end of the world's least snappy URL.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Reduced the Risk of Hospitalization or Death by Approximately 50 Percent Compared to Placebo for Patients with Mild or Moderate COVID-19 ...
    Note the qualifiers.
    50% effective
    Mild to Moderate cases

Unfortunately many anti-vaxxers will use this new treatment as an excuse not to get vaccinated. "Well, I'll just get the virus and the pill will cure me." Ignoring that it's a coin toss whether the pill works or not.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Heck, the CT folks will probably claim it is relabeled invermectin. Both are made by Merck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Unfortunately many anti-vaxxers will use this new treatment as an excuse not to get vaccinated. "Well, I'll just get the virus and the pill will cure me."
    Some will, sure, but at this point how much difference does it make? If it had been widely available six months ago, I could have seen it being widely used as an excuse but now most people have gotten a vaccine if they intend to do so.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I think one other caveat is that the paper hasnít been peer reviewed. However, the fact that they halted the trial is an indication that the data is most likely good enough to get published in NEJM or wherever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I think one other caveat is that the paper hasn’t been peer reviewed. However, the fact that they halted the trial is an indication that the data is most likely good enough to get published in NEJM or wherever.
    A paper will no doubt appear in due course, but that's really a separate area of endeavour. Medicines regulators like the FDA and HMRC will go through the protocol and data line by line--to a large extent, getting past these guys is a more exacting process than getting past peer review for a journal publication.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I think one other caveat is that the paper hasnít been peer reviewed. However, the fact that they halted the trial is an indication that the data is most likely good enough to get published in NEJM or wherever.
    Yes, reportedly, the phase 3 study was cut short on humanitarian grounds based on a recommendation of an independent data monitoring committee working with the FDA - it sounds to me this was being evaluated carefully and properly.

From here:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/01/merc...treatment.html

An interim analysis of a phase 3 study found that 7.3% of patients treated with molnupiravir were hospitalized within 29 days. Of the patients who received a placebo, 14.1% were hospitalized or died by day 29. No deaths were reported in patients who were given molnupiravir within the 29-day period, while eight deaths were reported in placebo-treated patients.

(Bolding added)

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

This morning there was a report of a Covid case on Campobello Island which is where the Brother in laws parents live. You can only enter on a ferry, boat, or by bridge. And over this coming weekend which is Thanksgiving here there are no gatherings outside the household allowed but businesses can operate like the auction which I will working tomorrow and Saturday.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Got second shot yesterday, six weeks after first (Pfizer).

No reactions, except that the my-arm-feels-like-I-was-punched feeling feels like someone much stronger punched me than after my first shot.

The Government had been saying wait six weeks, but recently switched back to three weeks between. (It might have been partly about managing the flow of people and balancing first and second shots.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Got second shot yesterday, six weeks after first (Pfizer).

No reactions, except that the my-arm-feels-like-I-was-punched feeling feels like someone much stronger punched me than after my first shot.

The Government had been saying wait six weeks, but recently switched back to three weeks between. (It might have been partly about managing the flow of people and balancing first and second shots.)
    You'll be dead soon according to a great many authorities on YouTube and FaceBook.
    I still need my booster.

Pfizer has asked for authorization for five-to-eleven-year-olds, and it can't come soon enough for my household.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My employer just announced their rules regarding mandatory COVID vaccination. All workers, either remote or on-site must be fully vaccinated by Dec 8. Thereís no ďtesting insteadĒ option. You may apply for a health or religious exemption.

We do defense contract work, so none of this is a surprise.

Our agency initially required us to attest to our vax status and we're now coming up on the deadline to submit documentation. I uploaded mine yesterday. Easy enough since I had scanned my card as a .PDF quite some time ago and stored it in an iCloud folder in preparation for our recent vacation...just in case, ya know. For convenience, I would have preferred to put in my Apple Wallet but they still don't allow for user-created cards.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    ...I had scanned my card as a .PDF quite some time ago....
    The lady giving me my booster suggested taking a photo of the vax card with my phone, which I thought was a good idea.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    The lady giving me my booster suggested taking a photo of the vax card with my phone, which I thought was a good idea.
    My wife argued against this saying someone could steal the photo off your phone. I didn't bother to argue ... she'd win ... she always wins.

Then she had to go to the hospital ER. The EMT gave her vax card to the charge nurse so they'd know her vax status. It's been 2+ months and we haven't seen the card since, even after repeated requests that they find it. Fortunately the provider system that gave us the shots has a record online and I printed the document.

We're now eligible for boosters and we'll probably get ours through that same provider system. They'll be able to generate a new vax card for her.

(I have a photo of mine on my iphone.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board