Page 60 of 65 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 1948

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Do people in the US actually have discussions about how good they are at wearing masks?
    I can't speak for everyone in the States, but probably not often if given a choice.
    Solfe

Do people in the US actually have discussions about how good they are at wearing masks? Here, everybody wears masks all the time when they’re out, whether they are athletic or not.
    Probably too late to add mask-wearing as a sport in the Tokyo Olympics.
    You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, and I won't have it!

I’m sort of curious why this came up in the first place. Do people in the US actually have discussions about how good they are at wearing masks? Here, everybody wears masks all the time when they’re out, whether they are athletic or not.
    I've never heard that specific argument, but since mask wearing has been *sigh* politicized, some people claim they're literally unable to wear them for long. As in, they insist actual physical damage may occur.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Probably too late to add mask-wearing as a sport in the Tokyo Olympics.
    Yeah. Socially distanced wrestling would also be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Yeah. Socially distanced wrestling would also be interesting.
    Maybe they could use robot arms to grab each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Wait, he was saying the mask is more painful that the injection?
    No, but he was saying that the reason he's okay with wearing a mask all day was the pain tolerance he's built up as an athlete. I suggested that perhaps he's willing to do it because of consideration for others, but he'd rather be tough, it seems.

I’m sort of curious why this came up in the first place. Do people in the US actually have discussions about how good they are at wearing masks? Here, everybody wears masks all the time when they’re out, whether they are athletic or not.
    A bunch of us were complaining about people doubtless using the "you don't have to wear it if you're vaccinated" thing to stop making even though they're lying about being vaccinated. Another person's friend insisted her doctor says she shouldn't get the shot yet and that she has a medical condition that means she can't wear a mask. And that she still goes out in public and does whatever she wants to do anyway, because we all have different opinions about what the right thing to do is.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I may stop tracking daily Worldometer reports. At least one state has stopped providing daily reports, probably for political reasoons.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Is there actually any condition that would allow you to run to the store and not be able to wear a mask?

I've know a few kids with harlequin ichthyosis which seems like a valid reason not to wear a mask. Aside from something like that, I can't name anything else. And those kids were 4-7 year olds so they don't drive to the store.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Is there actually any condition that would allow you to run to the store and not be able to wear a mask?
    Maybe masklophobia. But I think that’s supposed to be a fear of other people wearing masks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Lung problems may limit how long you can wear them, but the folks who say this usually claim some skin irritation ("mask rash") would lead to severe scarring or infection.

Maybe masklophobia. But I think that’s supposed to be a fear of other people wearing masks.
    Mask anxiety is surprisingly common, and a challenge for anaesthetists, as you might imagine. It's a variant of claustrophobia. Epidermolysis bulosa is a nasty skin condition in which the skin will shear off under pressure, and some variants of that disease allow sufferers to survive into early adulthood. And then there are people with lung disease who are just able to cope with a slow, breathless walk around a shop, but who find the additional resistance to breathing caused by a face covering tips them over the edge.

Grant Hutchison

Lung problems may limit how long you can wear them, but the folks who say this usually claim some skin irritation ("mask rash") would lead to severe scarring or infection.
    It's a thing.
    The use of face masks increases itching symptoms in the facial area in individuals with facial dermatosis, such as sensitive skin, acne, seborrheic dermatitis, atopic predisposition, allergic contact dermatitis, and atopic dermatitis. Wearing face masks can cause dermatological lesions, such as itching, redness and associated excoriation and abrasion. Itching, which mostly causes excoriations that are dermatological lesions can occur in systemic and dermatological diseases. Also, the use of masks can cause various dermatological findings, such as dryness, redness, burning, acne, and swelling in the face due to irritant and allergic substances used in mask production. It was documented that N95 and surgical masks contain formaldehyde and other preservatives. It was also reported that there were cases of allergic contact dermatitis due to formaldehyde in surgical masks.
    Especially long-term mask use can cause dermatosis, such as allergic contact dermatitis, irritant contact dermatitis, frictional dermatitis, abrasions, acne, seborrhea, and/or the increase of existing dermatosis that previously exist in the face.
    Friction, moisture and mechanical pressure play roles in the pathogenesis of the formation of dermatological lesions associated with mask use. It was shown that mechanical damage to the skin, maceration, abrasion, erythema, desquamation, itching, and acne were seen due to the long time use of the masks, especially in health care employees.
    In the days when anaesthetists wore facemasks all day in the operating theatre, I had a colleague who abandoned her career because of facial seborrhoeic dermatitis, which turned her face into a painful inflamed mess.

Grant Hutchison

The individuals I have heard this from show no signs of any physical ailments. They do however, all tend to share certain political opinions.

The individuals I have heard this from show no signs of any physical ailments. They do however, all tend to share certain political opinions.
    I’ve heard such people described as adolescents with 30 years of practice.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Mask anxiety is surprisingly common, and a challenge for anaesthetists, as you might imagine. It's a variant of claustrophobia. Epidermolysis bulosa is a nasty skin condition in which the skin will shear off under pressure, and some variants of that disease allow sufferers to survive into early adulthood. And then there are people with lung disease who are just able to cope with a slow, breathless walk around a shop, but who find the additional resistance to breathing caused by a face covering tips them over the edge.

Grant Hutchison
    I would think that at least the people with lung disease (particularly if it was that severe) would also be greatly harmed by getting Covid-19. I would think if your lung disease is that bad you either need to get vaccinated or you need to not be out in public if you can't wear a mask.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

My oldest got horrible acne from wearing a mask. He joined the Air Force and shipped off to Texas. On arrival, they hit him with the dreaded peanut butter (bicillin) shot. No more mask induced acne.

Personally, I think it was combination of the dryer weather, sunshine and that shot. He said that was the best bad thing that happened to him. Edit - He's probably eating better, too.
    Solfe

I'm impressed as to how many people I know, however briefly, can recognize me when I've got a mask over my lower face.

Will there ever again be any significant fiction depicting Zorro, The Phantom, Robin the Boy Wonder, The Spirit, The Lone Ranger, Green Lantern/Arrow and such fooling everybody with so simple a disguise?

(I'll give Spiderman a pass here. I won't even talk about Clark Kent.)

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I would think that at least the people with lung disease (particularly if it was that severe) would also be greatly harmed by getting Covid-19. I would think if your lung disease is that bad you either need to get vaccinated or you need to not be out in public if you can't wear a mask.
    Being vaccinated doesn't excuse you from wearing a mask inside a shop, in my part of the world--it has merely allowed people with significant lung disease to stop shielding. They're at less risk of significant disease themselves, but not completely immune from catching and transmitting it.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I'm impressed as to how many people I know, however briefly, can recognize me when I've got a mask over my lower face.

Will there ever again be any significant fiction depicting Zorro, The Phantom, Robin the Boy Wonder, The Spirit, The Lone Ranger, Green Lantern/Arrow and such fooling everybody with so simple a disguise?

(I'll give Spiderman a pass here. I won't even talk about Clark Kent.)
    I wish I could think of which film it was, but I saw some critic or reviewer talking about it.

They point out a problem, which was that one of the main characters wears a mask. The point of this was to show that he was rather weird.

Now everyone wears masks.

The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Now everyone wears masks.
    Westley from “The Princess Bride” was prophetic.

“It's just that masks are terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.”
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post

“It's just that masks are terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.”

Inconceivable!
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    It was my understanding that the wearing of face masks was to reduce the transmission of the disease by limiting the distance moisture droplets would travel? And general face masks/coverings offered little protection for the wearer against getting infected?

If this is true then people who suffer with breathing difficulties wearing masks have the option to wear a face shield, which doesn't restrict the breathing and also has very limited contact with the skin. And, as you said should not be out in public if they remain vulnerable.

Yes, the person I talked to refused to accept "so don't go out in public" and thought that all that was a matter of opinion. Which very much indicates certain things about an American.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    It was my understanding that the wearing of face masks was to reduce the transmission of the disease by limiting the distance moisture droplets would travel? And general face masks/coverings offered little protection for the wearer against getting infected?
    There's some evidence that in certain circumstances face coverings provide a degree of personal protection for the wearer but (like most published research relating to face coverings and Covid) its application in the real world isn't clear.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    If this is true then people who suffer with breathing difficulties wearing masks have the option to wear a face shield, which doesn't restrict the breathing and also has very limited contact with the skin. And, as you said should not be out in public if they remain vulnerable.
    Visors are pretty rubbish at source control, unfortunately. They'll stop big gobbets shooting straight forward, but drive jets containing smaller droplets out the sides and downwards, from which point they can billow around quite effectively. There's a video here that demonstrates the problem. Which is why visors do not qualify as face-coverings under UK law.

"Shouldn't be out in public if they remain vulnerable" isn't really the issue here. What we have are vaccinated individuals out in public. But being vaccinated doesn't entirely prevent you catching Covid--you may develop an asymptomatic or mild infection, which you can then transmit to other, perhaps unvaccinated, people in a public space.

Grant Hutchison

Well, I can't comment on that. Just pointing out that there are a host of physical (and at least one phobia) which are legitimate reasons for someone to be exempt from wearing a face-covering. And one could of course argue that the reason they don't show evident physical ailments is because they're not having to wear a face-covering--as happened with my ex-colleague.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post

If you know why "never smile on a motorcycle" is good advice, well then, there's another reason to wear a mask.

The judge just threw out the lawsuit from the hospital employees who refused to get vaccinated in Texas.

"You can't erase icing."

I'm amused and gratified that anti-vaxxers who believe in the idiotic "vaccine shedding" story are distancing themselves from people who have been vaccinated, for fear of catching the vaccine.
    Given that vaccinated people are not entirely immune to catching and transmitting the virus, and that a minority of fully vaccinated people can still develop severe disease if infected, this seems like a real public service by the anti-vaxxers.

Grant Hutchison

I'm unhappy that my town has one of the lowest vaccination rates in this province, which is otherwise >75% for first shots for those aged 18+. The chances of encountering an unvaccinated adult here are about twice as high as elsewhere.

I saw two unmasked couples at Safeway this afternoon. One of which had a masked child with them. Presumably the parents are vaccinated.
    Also, Safeway will now pack your reusable shopping bag. But I keep forgetting to take them in.
    I should probably note that I live in Priusville. Prisuville outlawed plastic shopping bags and required stores to charge for paper one more than five years ago. But just one measly pandemic and plastic is back!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.