Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1649

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    I hear that a lot from people in the US.

I will most likely have both lunch and dinner in a restaurant today.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I'm in the US, and I believe we've eaten in restaurants a half dozen times already this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Headed out for lunch in a few minutes!
    We COULD go out. But my wife has multiple underlying conditions and it would be very bad for her. So we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Safely send my children back into a school building.
    My niece is back to teaching in the classroom. I'll have to check with her on how that's going.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Got my second COVID shot. Feeling fine so far, but it's been only 2.5 hours.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Ah-ha. I remember when I was last inside a restaurant--more than a year ago. It didn't go well.

It was the middle of of March 2020, and Scotland had only just had its first case of community-acquired Covid a couple of days previously. My wife had something to celebrate and was keen to go out to a little Italian place within walking distance of our house. I remember her saying, "It might be our last chance for a while." The place was (unusually) closed for a couple of days when we first tried to make a booking, but then someone answered the phone and we got a table for the same evening.
    Chatting to the Italian owner at the end of the meal, we happened to mention that we'd tried to phone a couple of times earlier in the week.
    "Ah yes," he said. "We were on holiday."
    "Good for you. Anywhere nice?"
    "Nowhere special. We just went home for a couple of weeks."
    "Where's home?"
    "Lombardy."
    Ah. The Italian region that had just been locked down because of an exponential growth in Covid cases during the previous three weeks. Joy.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Ah-ha. I remember when I was last inside a restaurant--more than a year ago. It didn't go well.

It was the middle of of March 2020, and Scotland had only just had its first case of community-acquired Covid a couple of days previously. My wife had something to celebrate and was keen to go out to a little Italian place within walking distance of our house. I remember her saying, "It might be our last chance for a while." The place was (unusually) closed for a couple of days when we first tried to make a booking, but then someone answered the phone and we got a table for the same evening.
    Chatting to the Italian owner at the end of the meal, we happened to mention that we'd tried to phone a couple of times earlier in the week.
    "Ah yes," he said. "We were on holiday."
    "Good for you. Anywhere nice?"
    "Nowhere special. We just went home for a couple of weeks."
    "Where's home?"
    "Lombardy."
    Ah. The Italian region that had just been locked down because of an exponential growth in Covid cases during the previous three weeks. Joy.

Grant Hutchison
    A great trip to a restaurant with the risk of COVID infection. I hope everything went well and you did not get sick, because despite the risks, you already really want to go somewhere. Sitting at home in four walls tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Burton View Post
    A great trip to a restaurant with the risk of COVID infection. I hope everything went well and you did not get sick, because despite the risks, you already really want to go somewhere. Sitting at home in four walls tired.
    The restaurant is probably not the cause of my subsequent illness--the timing is not quite right.
    I do really want to go somewhere, but it wouldn't bother me particularly if I never entered another restaurant. Lockdown restrictions are paradoxically preventing me from doing things that involve no human contact whatsoever (and therefore have an immeasurably low risk of infection). My daily exercise currently involves me in much more frequent exposure to other people than it ever did before lockdown.

Grant Hutchison

For some reason, Grant’s post brought this to mind:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mKLizztikRk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    For some reason, Grant’s post brought this to mind:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mKLizztikRk
    Well, thanks for that comparison.

But it's interesting (to me at least) how the group of people in my social circle who have, in the past, suggested that I'm taking irresponsible risks when I set of alone into the hills are the same group of people who are currently making impassioned statements about "having to take risks in order to live life" ... and they're talking about hugging each other or meeting in a large group to celebrate Christmas.
    Different people just need different things in order to maintain their mental health.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2021-Mar-19 at 01:15 PM.

The restaurant is probably not the cause of my subsequent illness--the timing is not quite right.
    I do really want to go somewhere, but it wouldn't bother me particularly if I never entered another restaurant. Lockdown restrictions are paradoxically preventing me from doing things that involve no human contact whatsoever (and therefore have an immeasurably low risk of infection). My daily exercise currently involves me in much more frequent exposure to other people than it ever did before lockdown.

Grant Hutchison
    Luckily, even at our most restrictive lock-down, Ohio's rules always allowed individual outdoor hiking. I would have gone nuts if I couldn't have gone hiking for a year.

I do miss eating in restaurants. We actually are allowed to do it now, but I'm too cautious. Maybe once we get our second shots (and give it the two weeks after), we might go, depending on how spread is around here. By that time the weather should be pretty nice, so we might start with eating outside.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Restaurant dining is so low on my priority list it's essentially unrecordable.
    My main priority for this year is to spend more than eight hours without having to see or hear another human being, or any evidence that other humans exist.

Grant Hutchison
    I can definitely understand that feeling. I also am happy to eat at home, and really value the time I can spend alone doing the things I want to do.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We COULD go out. But my wife has multiple underlying conditions and it would be very bad for her. So we don't.
    In a restaurant for a (late) dinner now.

It isn't really so much of an issue here anymore, we don't really have COVID now, it's been nearly extirpated. Almost all of the cases are imported, and there is two-week quarantine for just about everyone. So those cases don't spread. Occasionally, there are a few transmissions when one of the imported cases gets through the cracks.

Vaccination is running behind the schedule in your country, but they are claiming everyone will be offered it by third quarter. I don't sense much anti-vax sentiment here (there is some, but I think nothing like in the US).
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?

This could have joined my collection of "A-boards that made me smile" over in the "amuses" thread, but since we're talking about restaurants:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210319_122215.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	25974
    (Schools have reopened in Scotland; restaurants yet to open. And, BTW, I should probably say that this is not the Italian restaurant I wrote about earlier.)

Grant Hutchison

Eating in a restaurant is one of the easiest ways to contract the disease. I miss it, but it's not worth it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Learned last night my youngest son caught COVID, called him this morning and he was fine, had only a mild case. Was quarantining with girlfriend who also had COVID. Doing well.

My left shoulder is sore where I got the 2nd COVID shot yesterday, but 24 hours afterward I have no other symptoms. Crossing my fingers.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2021-Mar-19 at 03:15 PM.

Not dining in restaurants is at least probably helping my effort to lose some weight!

SD is moving into "Phase 1E" for vaccinations on Monday. This phase includes both IT workers and financial services workers. Since I do IT for a bank, I qualify double.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    SD is moving into "Phase 1E" for vaccinations on Monday. This phase includes both IT workers and financial services workers. Since I do IT for a bank, I qualify double.
    So two vaccines?
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?

We picked out 4 local places that have take out. The best of them has the best precautions. Call ahead, prepay with an option for a tip, one person at a time in the vestibule for pick up through an airlock-like trap door system. The wait staff's picture is on the trap door. The wait staff aren't working, but you can still tip them. The girl we "sponsor" used to go to school with my kids.

The other most favored place has a similar setup, but the wait staff are acting as runners for food but don't come out of the glass enclosed patio area. They have card readers installed outside the glass for payment, but if you have cash, you meet one person for the exchange and get a ticket. Again, the person who runs the food gets the tip.

The third most favored spot had a car run through the front of the building early on in the pandemic. The place was closed when it happened, a 3 am accident. Someone pulled over due to a medical problem then stuck the building while waiting for help, they were the only person hurt. This place have the worst protocols, but I want to help out rebuilding the dining area. They obviously have no in store dining because the booths are gone. They are really putting a lot into the refurbishment. Their protocol was to use the ice cream service window for fulfilling orders. That can get a mob of people waiting outside.
    Solfe

By a positively Herculean effort, students at the university campus just down the road from our house have contrived to cause a sudden 10-fold increase in the incidence of Covid in our little part of town. Weary messages from the principal invoke a "large indoor gathering" by way of explanation. Cheers for that, guys.
    That's the campus and the local shopping centre scored off my list of potential walking routes for the next couple of weeks.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Learned last night my youngest son caught COVID, called him this morning and he was fine, had only a mild case. Was quarantining with girlfriend who also had COVID. Doing well.

My left shoulder is sore where I got the 2nd COVID shot yesterday, but 24 hours afterward I have no other symptoms. Crossing my fingers.
    Glad it's mild! Best of luck to them.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

By a positively Herculean effort, students at the university campus just down the road from our house have contrived to cause a sudden 10-fold increase in the incidence of Covid in our little part of town. Weary messages from the principal invoke a "large indoor gathering" by way of explanation. Cheers for that, guys.
    That's the campus and the local shopping centre scored off my list of potential walking routes for the next couple of weeks.

Grant Hutchison
    Idiots gonna idiot, worldwide.

Meanwhile, we got our second shots this morning. And are going to continue avoiding idiots for a while yet.
    We were invited to a family reunion in central Washington. In a (politics removed) county, with (politics removed) family members who voted for (politics removed) and are Covid deniers. Nope, not going, much as we'd like to see my wife's 92 year old uncle.

My county has finally gone to the red (less restrictive) tier. A number of other counties got there earlier. At the same time, AMC has said almost all their theaters have opened in California though at reduced capacity (I think it varies between 25 to 50% depending on county, but don’t quote me on that). Disneyland is to open at the end of April (they’re been closed since early in the pandemic and weren’t happy about it). I have no interest in going to a theater, Disneyland, or other places with lots of people in close proximity for now, but it is nice seeing things apparently improving. Of course, there are still various people warning of a possible flare up, so there is always the concern this might be too early.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Idiots gonna idiot, worldwide.
    Oh yes. I imagine everyone involved in organizing that particular house party began to realize they'd achieved something quite spectacular, round about the time a national Incident Management Team arrived on campus, five days later.

Grant Hutchison

Oh yes. I imagine everyone involved in organizing that particular house party began to realize they'd achieved something quite spectacular, round about the time a national Incident Management Team arrived on campus, five days later.

Grant Hutchison
    Not that it would do anything to affect the results of this gathering but 'pour encourager les autres', will the organisers get to make a large donation to public funds or be provided with a short holiday at public expense? Over here, we have had few people be required to have a month or so free accommodation with all meals and clothing supplied.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    In France, the northern quarter has just been locked down again while the government has swung from saying the Astra vaccine is not safe for elders, through OK to now not safe for under 55s. All scientific experts agree that is crazy but also agree France is spreading ant-vax concerns. Only food shops and...hairdressers...are allowed open. Meanwhile France sits on a stockpile of vaccine and a very low percentage roll out. Third wave, how many more?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Yesterday, I decided to check to see if I could find out how long it would be until I'm eligible to get the shot.

Look, the BMI is nonsense, but if it means I can get my first shot at a drive-through clinic Sunday, I'll take it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Not that it would do anything to affect the results of this gathering but 'pour encourager les autres', will the organisers get to make a large donation to public funds or be provided with a short holiday at public expense? Over here, we have had few people be required to have a month or so free accommodation with all meals and clothing supplied.
    I guess these things are on the table, as will be termination of studies. If it turns out to be largely restricted to campus then things way well go better for the miscreants than if it leaks into wider community.

Grant Hutchison

My daughter and son-in-law, both teachers, joined Team Pfizer yesterday.

So far, I’m the only person I know who is on Team J&J-Janssen.

Edited to change the iPhone smile emoji, which looks like grinding teeth on the web-based board.
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2021-Mar-20 at 05:06 PM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

48 hours since I got my 2nd vaccination. No symptoms of any note except a slightly sore left shoulder. Guess I got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    In France, the northern quarter has just been locked down again while the government has swung from saying the Astra vaccine is not safe for elders, through OK to now not safe for under 55s. All scientific experts agree that is crazy but also agree France is spreading ant-vax concerns. Only food shops and...hairdressers...are allowed open. Meanwhile France sits on a stockpile of vaccine and a very low percentage roll out. Third wave, how many more?
    Europe's problem with vaccine supply will iron out fairly quickly, according to the Financial Times, though of course not quickly enough for those affected in the meantime. But the problem with vaccine hesitancy (which has long history in parts of Europe) is going to be harder to deal with.
    The combination of a large vaccinated population coexisting with high transmission in a large unvaccinated population is a recipe for the emergence of vaccine escape.
    It's going to be a long summer, and not in a good way.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Only food shops and...hairdressers...are allowed open.
    Hairdressers? God forbid one doesn't have a proper coif during a pandemic.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules