Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1649

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

  1. #1441
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Glad it's mild! Best of luck to them.
    Thank you for that. Sorry I noticed this so late.
    Do good work. óVirgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  2. #1442
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    39,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Sorry I noticed this so late.
    Penalty, five yards!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  3. #1443
    One of the unusual effects of the Pandemic is that the maritimes a a whole is getting a bit influx of population but this is also means higher pricing on housing because the demand. This is because we handled it so well also a lot of people are moving cities that have high cost of living if they can telework. On a personal note because of local restrictions it means the auction company I work for can only use two halls and one is in the town I near, which means they are back next week but restrictions are changing.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  4. #1444
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,636
    Just in case you weren't sure that every country has its fair share of idiots. Yesterday we had a few hundred people protesting against Covid vaccinations in central Perth. Looking at their signs there seemed to be the usual suspects ranging from religious zealots to anti-government radicals. And, of course, there is the associated huckster holding money making seminars to 'tell the truth'.

    Like the maritimes, of 'The Backyard Astronomer', our local house prices are also rising rapidly to cope with overseas based Australians returning to a perceived 'safer place'. They have been tipped to rise by up to 12% this year.

  5. #1445
    The auctioneer in the company who is in his upper seventies which is still to young to get the vaccine without medical reasons yesterday was trying to get an appointment, he does have a few medical conditions to qualify. Jut the opposite of the anti-vaxxer idiots.

    I know around the world there i
    s movement of people because of the pandemic. A lot of people are moving out silicon valley because it is to expensive to live and some companies are promoting more work from home, so if the can work in Arizona with lower costs, why not work there. Plus some hobbies are getting more popular such as astronomy and computer building but the last one could be more because people need better computers to telework.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  6. #1446
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    My county has finally gone to the red (less restrictive) tier. A number of other counties got there earlier. At the same time, AMC has said almost all their theaters have opened in California though at reduced capacity (I think it varies between 25 to 50% depending on county, but donít quote me on that). Disneyland is to open at the end of April (theyíre been closed since early in the pandemic and werenít happy about it). I have no interest in going to a theater, Disneyland, or other places with lots of people in close proximity for now, but it is nice seeing things apparently improving. Of course, there are still various people warning of a possible flare up, so there is always the concern this might be too early.
    Our theatres have been "open" the whole time. For a while there, I was buying the popcorn. You'd call ahead, leave your name, order and payment method and they'd have your package brought out to the car. Then you'd go home and pick one of their streaming movies from a choice of 12 or so. We did that a couple of times. It was expensive, but the popcorn was worth it. For a while I was getting the 5 gallon bag, but that's just nuts. With a family of 5, you just can't eat that much popcorn in a week, even if you pack a bag of it up for lunch every day. After the first time, we realized you could just buy a normal sized bucket. That's much more reasonable.

    (Couple of times I put the stale popcorn out for the birds. It was like a movie for the cats. It also leaves a big mess in the yard, so that had to stop.)

    More recently, they actually opened their doors and a family (just one) could rent a screen for $250 bucks. We did not do that. It seemed too post-apocalyptic to sit in an otherwise empty movie theater. Plus the movie choices were horrible.
    Solfe

  7. #1447
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    5,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    More recently, they actually opened their doors and a family (just one) could rent a screen for $250 bucks. We did not do that. It seemed too post-apocalyptic to sit in an otherwise empty movie theater.
    Or you could feel like Daddy Warbucks from the movie Annie.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  8. #1448
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    5,573
    We went for our bi-weekly grocery shopping trip this morning, and noticed that the one-way arrows were removed from the aisles. The stickers reminding you to keep 6í apart remain, though. Also, hand sanitizer was on sale for half price.

    I donít know whether to be encouraged that things are winding down, or worried that they are winding down too quickly. Our state has at least partially vaccinated about 24% of the population, and about 13% completing their regimen.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  9. #1449
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    16,847
    One of our two supermarket chains removed the arrows months ago. The other still has them but nobody pays any attention to them, including the staff.

    I'm thinking we'll probably have one more surge here in the US, once the premature lifting of restrictions has its inevitable effect.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  10. #1450
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Our theatres have been "open" the whole time. For a while there, I was buying the popcorn. You'd call ahead, leave your name, order and payment method and they'd have your package brought out to the car. Then you'd go home and pick one of their streaming movies from a choice of 12 or so. We did that a couple of times.
    OK, that's a strange arrangement!

    Can you park the car somewhere, and watch on a portable or tablet, so it's like a drive-in?
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?

  11. #1451
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    39,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Or you could feel like Daddy Warbucks from the movie Annie.
    More like Daddy Morebucks to afford $250 for a single viewing.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  12. #1452
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    13,116
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    This could have joined my collection of "A-boards that made me smile" over in the "amuses" thread, but since we're talking about restaurants:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210319_122215.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	25974
    (Schools have reopened in Scotland; restaurants yet to open. And, BTW, I should probably say that this is not the Italian restaurant I wrote about earlier.)

    Grant Hutchison
    Sadly there are those in this country who will agree with that sign, exactly as written.

    In other news, the CDC has revised its guidelines to say kids in school can use three feet (down from six feet) of distancing if they wear masks.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  13. #1453
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Sadly there are those in this country who will agree with that sign, exactly as written.
    I am finding use of this sort of redundant comparative seems to be, well, I wouldn't say common, but not exactly rare either.

    I once would have bought a t-shirt in Japan with this mistake, if they had it in my size. That was years ago. Today, I think I would have to explain why I found it funny. Or maybe that's more funnier.
    Last edited by 21st Century Schizoid Man; 2021-Mar-22 at 03:02 AM.
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?

  14. #1454
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    14,794
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post

    Like the maritimes, of 'The Backyard Astronomer', our local house prices are also rising rapidly to cope with overseas based Australians returning to a perceived 'safer place'. They have been tipped to rise by up to 12% this year.
    I sort of have two thoughts about that. One is that there are a lot of Australians abroad, and a certain number are going to want to return hope pandemic or not, because they have retired, gotten their degree, or, in the case of now, lost their jobs. The government apparently has a fund for people in financial distress. And since it was difficult for people to return last year, so you are going to see an increase whether or not it is safer. Also, in Japan we are seeing people move out of crowded cities and into more spacious homes because companies are becoming more accustomed to teleworking.

    But actually, I know Australians living abroad who donít really want to return because theyíre worried about how they will be treated once they get back. In Tokyo too, in fact, there is a sense that people in less populated areas, with fewer cases, donít want us because they are afraid we will contaminate their area.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

  15. #1455
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    14,794
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Like the maritimes, of 'The Backyard Astronomer', our local house prices are also rising rapidly to cope with overseas based Australians returning to a perceived 'safer place'. They have been tipped to rise by up to 12% this year.
    And then the second thought is regarding the people returning rather than the post. To me, taking a 14-hour international flight, even if it is to get to a hopefully safer place, doesnít seem like the wisest choice. Now if you could drive home to Australia, maybe..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

  16. #1456
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    14,794
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    I am finding use of this sort of redundant comparative seems to be, well, I wouldn't say common, but not exactly rare either.
    I find it jarring. But it does have a history. Some famous guy once wrote:

    This was the most unkindest cut of all.
    As above, so below

  17. #1457
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    And then the second thought is regarding the people returning rather than the post. To me, taking a 14-hour international flight, even if it is to get to a hopefully safer place, doesn’t seem like the wisest choice. Now if you could drive home to Australia, maybe..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It would be nice if it was only a 14 hour flight! Returning to Perth from Halifax, Nova Scotia, took us over 40 hours. That included about 26 hours in the air and a couple of long connections - plus delays in Toronto and Hong Kong. Perth to London is over 20 hours with one stop.

    But you are correct about the chance of infection on the flights as some people have been infected on the flights back to Australia. But for many people the risks of infection while flying have outweighed the risks of staying in places like India or the UK.

  18. #1458
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    And then the second thought is regarding the people returning rather than the post. To me, taking a 14-hour international flight, even if it is to get to a hopefully safer place, doesn’t seem like the wisest choice. Now if you could drive home to Australia, maybe..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My understanding is there is kind of a mix of people coming to the Maritimes some are older people are returning home to retire, some have already have jobs here and other reasons including the pandemic. At the auction we do get a few people who have moved here coming partly jut to met people from here, but are to retire or the cities have lost their appeal. Plus right now there are some people who live from the states who have relatives around here and can't get across the border and that must suck The Maritimes do have a lot of traditional industries like farming, forestry and some farming and generally considered the have not provinces because we don't have the manufacturing of Ontario, the oil of Alberta or the Hydropower of Quebec, there are some newer industries like cyber security, aquaculture and the attempt at rebuilding a shipbuilding industry that is bringing in new people.

    There ha
    s something called Covid shaming going when some from here sees a license plate from another place a few people have gone up and bugged the people in the car or have wrote stuff on the car. Maritimers are generally good and welcoming people but some of people who live in less dense populated places are use to their space.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2021-Mar-22 at 05:26 AM.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  19. #1459
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    14,794
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    It would be nice if it was only a 14 hour flight! Returning to Perth from Halifax, Nova Scotia, took us over 40 hours. That included about 26 hours in the air and a couple of long connections - plus delays in Toronto and Hong Kong. Perth to London is over 20 hours with one stop.

    But you are correct about the chance of infection on the flights as some people have been infected on the flights back to Australia. But for many people the risks of infection while flying have outweighed the risks of staying in places like India or the UK.
    Yeah, I suppose I was thinking of something like the relatively painless Tokyo-Melbourne flights, which are around 13 hours. For other places, obviously a lot longer!

    But I did want to say also that I think there are also many people who want to return to Australia not simply because of the relative safety but because they have lost jobs and completed studies, for example.

    Also I wonder if the home prices in your area (I don't remember where it is) might also be rising if people within Australia are moving. I know that in Japan there is a movement out of big cities like Tokyo, partly directly because of the pandemic but also indirectly (as in the case of the Maritimes) people who are moving to less crowded areas because now they can telework fairly easily.
    As above, so below

  20. #1460
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Yeah, I suppose I was thinking of something like the relatively painless Tokyo-Melbourne flights, which are around 13 hours. For other places, obviously a lot longer!

    But I did want to say also that I think there are also many people who want to return to Australia not simply because of the relative safety but because they have lost jobs and completed studies, for example.

    Also I wonder if the home prices in your area (I don't remember where it is) might also be rising if people within Australia are moving. I know that in Japan there is a movement out of big cities like Tokyo, partly directly because of the pandemic but also indirectly (as in the case of the Maritimes) people who are moving to less crowded areas because now they can telework fairly easily.
    Another couple of good points. A number of people have certainly returned because of the job market and education opportunities drying up in some countries. And there have been some significant price rises in the more popular regions - in our case down south in the Wine and Surfing area around Margaret River. It has been popular with the FIFO (Fly In Fly Out) resources workers for a number of years and the increasing use of telework has made it more so.

    I live in the only major city in Western Australia (Perth) with a population of a little over 2 Million and the growth rate has been a little over 1% for the last few years which is a lot slower than the previous decade when it was close to 3%. A slowdown in building new houses in the last couple four or five years has drastically reduced the housing stock available and the sudden rush of buyers has caused a huge backlog in new building and supply problems are not helping.

  21. #1461
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    13,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    And then the second thought is regarding the people returning rather than the post. To me, taking a 14-hour international flight, even if it is to get to a hopefully safer place, doesn’t seem like the wisest choice. Now if you could drive home to Australia, maybe..
    Well, if you don't want to risk flying, and driving is out, how about a nice, safe ship? What could possibly go wrong?

    (That said, there is at least one cruise line that is looking at "cruises to nowhere" for fully vaccinated travelers.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  22. #1462
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Well, if you don't want to risk flying, and driving is out, how about a nice, safe ship? What could possibly go wrong?

    (That said, there is at least one cruise line that is looking at "cruises to nowhere" for fully vaccinated travelers.)
    Ask the passengers of the Titanic.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  23. #1463
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,565
    Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Ask the passengers of the Titanic.
    I suspect Jim was thinking more of the Diamond Princess.

    Grant Hutchison

  24. #1464
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I suspect Jim was thinking more of the Diamond Princess.

    Grant Hutchison
    Either one was a bad trip.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  25. #1465
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'm thinking we'll probably have one more surge here in the US, once the premature lifting of restrictions has its inevitable effect.
    I was watching a news segment last night about Spring Break in Miami Beach, something the city of Miami Beach does not want to happen this year. Of course, they'd rather put up a curfew than, say, close the bars and things that are theoretically the appeal of Spring Break in Miami Beach. Everyone knows the disease can only spread among out-of-towners, right?

    Oh, well. I got my first jab yesterday, weeks if not months before I was expecting to be eligible. They'd repurposed the parking lots at our local community college. This being Washington, the actual shot was done in a row of giant pop-up tents, so we could all stay dry while it happened. I got an air-high five from the woman telling me where to park during my observation period, because we agreed that the BMI is nonsense but I will accept being allowed to take the vaccine because mine is high.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  26. #1466
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    13,116
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I suspect Jim was thinking more of the Diamond Princess.

    Grant Hutchison
    Among others.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  27. #1467
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    13,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I was watching a news segment last night about Spring Break in Miami Beach, something the city of Miami Beach does not want to happen this year. Of course, they'd rather put up a curfew than, say, close the bars and things that are theoretically the appeal of Spring Break in Miami Beach. ...
    The curfew will mean bars and restaurants must close by 8pm, except for deliveries. I think the Governor's Executive Order prevents actually closing them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Oh, well. I got my first jab yesterday, weeks if not months before I was expecting to be eligible. ...
    Good for you!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  28. #1468
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,489
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    OK, that's a strange arrangement!

    Can you park the car somewhere, and watch on a portable or tablet, so it's like a drive-in?
    Actually, no. At least not in their parking lot. That is specifically not allowed.
    Solfe

  29. #1469
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    12,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Or you could feel like Daddy Warbucks from the movie Annie.
    This one theatre by my house has a very small client base. There were times that we went to the show and were the only people in the place. For Rogue One, Hidden Figures, and The Martian we were the only people in that theatre. That was creepy before the pandemic.

    Even free movie Tuesday has had times where the place was relatively empty. They would show 4 different kids films Tuesday, so I bet it's just poor film or nap time for a few slots. If nothing hot was a new release, they'd sometimes dedicate two theatres for the free movies. I suspect they were doing the movie version of a super clean on Tuesdays. When the film was on, they'd clean the bathrooms and vacuum the halls. When the show was over, they'd vacuum the theatre and ask who did chores at home. Kids that helped at home were picked to lead a dance party after clean up. Not that there was any sort of moderation, they just got called up to the front of the screen before the horde of other children joined them as the music started.

    I couldn't help but notice a lot of people would leave at 11:30 am for nap time.

    The same place has autism showings where they'd leave the lights on, turn down the sound and let people chat away during the film. Those are kind of interesting. I saw The Hate You Give that way.
    Solfe

  30. #1470
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I couldn't help but notice a lot of people would leave at 11:30 am for nap time.
    For the kids or the adults?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •