Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Wait! I usually do my shopping on my way home from work, but the time I saw toilet paper at the 99˘ Store I was on my way to work in the morning and stopped to buy some Mountain Dew and potato chips. They probably hadn't had time to sell out by then.
    I finally found toilet paper in a supermarket in the afternoon. I bought a six-pack and I live alone , so now I'm good for the summer

My faire boss's ex-girlfriend (I'm pretty sure that's who it is; she's one of those people who have managed not to use their real name, but there are clues that suggest it's her) is going on about how we shouldn't be afraid and sunshine and blah blah blah, and I do not understand why he lets that woman in his life at the best of times.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    My faire boss's ex-girlfriend ...is going on about how we shouldn't be afraid...
    To paraphrase Newt from the movie Aliens, “It mostly doesn’t kill people, mostly.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Now I've learned that barber shops can open which surprised me because I remember some controversy about Arizona not closing them like other states did. I guess they revised their closed list and I didn't hear about it. I think it's too soon to reopen them. A lot of people will want haircuts all at once. Crowding still needs to be avoided. I don't know how this will be handled.

My county is among half a dozen in the state eligible to start reopening early. The adjacent ones are not. So if we open, we'll be inundated with people from Clallam and Kitsap.
    It's a serious concern for county government.
    I have never seen my wife's hair so long.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I agree, Sweden was created with GMOs. I mean.... come on.... how else are you going to get that many blonds.

Oh.... you mean the COVID-19 virus.... oh, well that's completely different.. never mind.
    That was made by Tim Allen’s TOOL TIME Crisper device—notice that hardware stores and drive throughs stayed open, but it is the salons, theaters and fancy sit-down restaurants that the wife and kids like that are closed...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My county is among half a dozen in the state eligible to start reopening early. The adjacent ones are not. So if we open, we'll be inundated with people from Clallam and Kitsap.
    It's a serious concern for county government.
    I have never seen my wife's hair so long.
    I saw a news report about a lot of out of state people heading for Georgia . . . which shouldn’t be opening up anyway. I can certainly believe something similar will happen there.

California opened up slightly a bit earlier than I expected. Basically, non essential factories can open with social distancing rules and non essential stores can provide curbside pickup or certain other limited access, but no barbershops, hair salons or anything else where distancing is difficult to impossible.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Garden centers have been open here right along. What's essential about buying plants? Which we did yesterday.

Garden centers have been open here right along. What's essential about buying plants? Which we did yesterday.
    There is a timing issue. A while back I saw a story of people in another state that were extremely angry with the lock down restrictions because they weren’t allowed to buy vegetable plants and seeds at a store, but they thought it was important to be able to produce their own food. And they could only wait so long to plant for the season.

Here, we could always go to Home Depot/Lowes/etc. Not sure about places that were specifically garden centers, but given that they tend to be mostly outdoors, they would probably be relatively low risk.

I have been buying new yard equipment, though by mail order only, and it certainly helps give me something else to do rather than just sit reading, online or watching TV, so there is a health aspect. Also the yard needs it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Aforementioned boss's ex-girlfriend is also complaining about how she can't garden to feed herself, which . . . she didn't ever do when I knew her?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

One side effect here is the bad effect on bio-control issues.

Places that have trapping systems (for stoats, weasels, rat, ...) to protect native bird sanctuaries have not been able to service the traps. Evidence seems to show an increase in bird losses.

The inability of hunters to hunt may also have an effect of the wild deer and pig populations, which will cause harm to the native bush. The roar (essentially, deer mating season) is one of the prime hunting times, and had to be skipped this year.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Stoats, weasels...what, not for cats? Do you not have feral cats in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Now I've learned that barber shops can open which surprised me because I remember some controversy about Arizona not closing them like other states did. I guess they revised their closed list and I didn't hear about it. I think it's too soon to reopen them. A lot of people will want haircuts all at once. Crowding still needs to be avoided. I don't know how this will be handled.
    I believe most states are limiting the number of people in the shop at a time, and making people make appointments. I saw one piece where they were basically using every other chair. You still have the barber / hair stylists close to the customer, no way around that.

I'm going to avoid all those opening stores for a couple of weeks more; avoid the rush, and see what happens. I fear a couple of weeks after these mass reopenings that we're going to have a massive increase in cases, and I don't want to be one of them. Long hair will not kill me.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I believe most states are limiting the number of people in the shop at a time, and making people make appointments. I saw one piece where they were basically using every other chair. You still have the barber / hair stylists close to the customer, no way around that.
    Well, maybe there is (half-jokingly)!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html
    As above, so below

Our governor said that the first known big community spread of the virus was at a nail salon, and they’re being restrictive on any business like that. That said, personal care business owners are pleading to be allowed to open. I fully expect some places not to have the finances to survive.

I agree with Swift, I am not too concerned about long hair given the circumstances. When it gets annoyingly long, I cut a bit off. If it looks choppy who cares?

In general, I’m looking for the infection numbers to go way down and/or effective treatments to be demonstrated before I do much venturing out. There are a number of antivirals that are sounding promising in preliminary tests, also anticoagulants appear to dramatically reduce mortality for people on ventilators. I’m hoping in the next few months that doctors will work out how to significantly reduce the chances for a bad outcome as they understand more and nail down treatment procedures that work reasonably well.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Well, maybe there is (half-jokingly)!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html
    I’ve been half expecting to see some barbers and dentists in moon suits like the things in Andromeda Strain with barbershop/offices looking like those isolation rooms.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My wife had her annual physical last week. Via tele-medicine. So...no BP check, no temp check (no vitals of any kind), no heart sounds, no auscultation, no breathing sounds, no EKG.

She went in the next day for labs, including a COVID antibodies test. Which was negative.

Oooookaaay...

She doesn't have heart or lung problems but she is 65 so it's a little disconcerting to skip some of those basics. But at least her labs were good.

Stoats, weasels...what, not for cats? Do you not have feral cats in NZ?
    Of course ... I've seen 'em! Around 34 years ago a friend and I borrowed my Dad's boat and tent and camped down a local river. Woke next morning to see four wild kittens nibbling on our hamburger patties.

(There are people agitating for domestic cats to be banned, or forced to stay indoors; there are new suburbs that ban cat ownership.)

I don't really know the details but feral cats seem to still be near "civilisation". Out in the bush and at sanctuaries, the traps I've seen around all seem to be rat or weasel sized.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    My wife had her annual physical last week. Via tele-medicine. So...no BP check, no temp check (no vitals of any kind), no heart sounds, no auscultation, no breathing sounds, no EKG.

She went in the next day for labs, including a COVID antibodies test. Which was negative.

Oooookaaay...

She doesn't have heart or lung problems but she is 65 so it's a little disconcerting to skip some of those basics. But at least her labs were good.
    I'm doing the telemedicine thing this morning. I weighed myself (ugh) and took my temperature but when I opened the BP machine box it wasn't there. Maybe I'll go down to the old garage and look for it there. Had labs done last week. They'll tell me my blood sugar is high.

My best friend tested negative!

"You can't erase icing."

I found the BP machine. Now they can tell me that's too high as well.

I'm doing the telemedicine thing this morning. I weighed myself (ugh) and took my temperature but when I opened the BP machine box it wasn't there. Maybe I'll go down to the old garage and look for it there. Had labs done last week. They'll tell me my blood sugar is high.
    My uninformed opinion of telemedicine is pretty low. The first thing my doctor usually does is poke my lymph glands and take a good look into the holes in my head. Neither works very well remotely.

I’m willing to accept it during the pandemic, though. We have a BP machine and digital thermometer, plus, Mrs EV has a blood sugar meter. In a nod to current times, I’ve ordered a pulse oximeter for delivery next week. Those tools should provide enough info for my doctor to make a call regarding a hospitalization if an Edgar Allan Poe character decides to crash our stay-at-home party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    My best friend tested negative!
    Excellent!
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

The telemedicine appointment worked amazingly well, at least on the tech side. I was absolutely certain it wouldn't. I used the newer computer, because the camera on this one has tape over it, ran the pre-test they reccomended, and signed in a bit early. There was a chime to notify me when they came on while I surfed other stuff. The nurse was pleased I had done the temp, weight, and BP (My wife found the machine) and got to meet one of the kitties who jumped up on the table. But I'm still overweight, my blood sugar is still high, and so is my BP.
    Medicare has some standard questions and such to ask us old-timers. One was whether I'm afraid of falling. Well, yes, I am, because, you know, reasons.
    But I got a compliment for my ability to draw a clock face.

Wow: compliment/complement! A homophone I don't remember having typed before!

What's that about?

Someone in my immediate office apparently has COVID-19. I received the email this afternoon.
    I work in a sprawling office & manufacturing complex, and our internal corporate website is regularly updated with verified and suspected cases. They identify the part of the facility in which the person works and last date on-site.

If one of those people works in the vicinity of your desk, you get a special email. For privacy reasons, they don't identify the person or many details.
    Fortunately, due to an order to telework whenever possible, no close contacts were identified.
    I haven't been in the office in over two weeks, and that was a brief visit to a desert landscape, so my risk is exceedingly small.
    I wish this person, whoever they are, a fast recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    What's that about?
    This was a recurring Medicare exam. For old people like me. They have a script they have to go through. They ask if you're depressed. They ask if you're afraid of falling. They ask how much you drink, or use recreational drugs. And to test your mental state, they ask you to remember three words (table, apple, something I forget), then have you draw a clock face and then put a time on it. Ten past 11, in my case. Then they want the three words back.

I am ALWAYS tempted to do something snarky with the clock face. A digital one. A 24 hour clock. Roman Numerals. A mirror image. (I'm not artistic enough to do a Dali limp watch.) But I never do. I am, however, an engineer. When I draw a clock face, it's a good circle, the numbers are in the correct positions, and the hands are appropriate lengths.

They have a script they have to go through...
    I suspected they wanted to confirm you were old by asking you to draw an analog clock face

The script thing reminds me that my daughter, who has had hearing issues since she was a small child, had so many audiologist exams that she memorized a good part of script they use to check hearing.
    They are supposed to randomize the list of words they read, but rarely do.

Hint: The first word in the list is "hotdog".

What's that about?
    All sorts of things.
    It's quite a complicated neurocognitive task, so it's a sensitive screening test for impairment of various bits of the brain.

Grant Hutchison

I suspected they wanted to confirm you were old by asking you to draw an analog clock face

The script thing reminds me that my daughter, who has had hearing issues since she was a small child, had so many audiologist exams that she memorized a good part of script they use to check hearing.
    They are supposed to randomize the list of words they read, but rarely do.

Hint: The first word in the list is "hotdog".
    When Irene (who has an audiologist appointment Thursday that we're actually going in for) was about eighteen months old, she figured out the hearing test and rendered it worthless. They sat her on my lap in a soundproofed room and played a sound from various speakers and tested if she looked toward that speaker. Only she worked out that sounds were coming and started looking around the room as soon as the last one stopped, trying to guess where the next one would come from. Turns out it's hard to run hearing tests on very young children at the best of times, the more so if they're also very smart children.

"You can't erase icing."