Page 75 of 79 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2362

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I just wanted to ask something because I might be missing something. I think that the real concern with COVID is that COVID leads to pneumonia. I just wanted to be sure, you have been tested for COVID but the tests come back negative, and so you have some kind of bacterial pneumonia?
    I've been tested for COVID 3 times. It's nothing to do with COVID because I had the COVID test before the X-Ray for pneumonia. I also had a COVID test the day of the X-Ray and one a week later. So, absolutely not COVID. It seems to be bacterial.

I managed to get pneumonia every 2-4 years. It always hits between Oct 15 and December 1st. It's kind of like clockwork for me and I believe that it has to do with the fact I spend a lot of time either outdoors or in the pool in fall. That could be some sort of observational error.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    And don't forget the horror films about poor automobile driving and accidents. Yuck.
    They didn't get any better during my military career. The one about ejection seat safety was particularly hokey.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I learned quite a lot about the function of the human body, including things like germ theory. Of course, this was the late '80s and early '90s.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

A couple of weeks ago we were discussing 'vaccination cards'. Australia has just released its "International Covidi-19 Vaccination Certificate" for overseas travel. It is electronically linked to your passport and can be printed or stored on your electronic device.

https://www.dfat.gov.au/news/news/au...of-vaccination

The reaction to such a thing from some segments of American society would be quite, um, amazing.
    Meanwhile, I continue to track Worldometer data. 7-day averages are trending down, but still tend to exceed numbers from a year ago.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Today our prince will probably go into double digits in deaths after months of being around 55 a recent spike after the province opening up to other provinces.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Today our prince will probably go into double digits in deaths after months of being around 55 a recent spike after the province opening up to other provinces.
    Something seems wrong. 55 already is double digits. You’re in Nova Scotia, right? From googling it looks like there is a slight spike but still it isn’t anywhere as high as it was in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Something seems wrong. 55 already is double digits. You’re in Nova Scotia, right? From googling it looks like there is a slight spike but still it isn’t anywhere as high as it was in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry meant triple digits and I am in New Brunswick,we just 101st death today. It did spike in certain areas with over a hundred cases a day which is high for us.

I swiped this data from the NYS health department:
    112,966 laboratory-confirmed breakthrough cases of COVID-19 among fully-vaccinated people in New York State, which corresponds to 0.9% of the population of fully-vaccinated people 12-years or older.
    7,629 hospitalizations with COVID-19 among fully-vaccinated people in New York State, which corresponds to 0.06% of the population of fully-vaccinated people 12-years or older.
    Over 100,000 breakthrough cases equals 0.9% of those vaccinated? I'm kind of impressed with the level of testing and lack of infection in vaccinated people. You don't normally get data like that with stuff like the flu. It seems they are testing about 200,000 people a day.

I griped about being tested several times. Maybe that isn't so weird. Erie County New York has a population of 954,236 and there have been 2,846,255 tests cumulative. So we are almost at the average of 3 tests per person. That's a lot of testing.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The reaction to such a thing from some segments of American society would be quite, um, amazing.
    Meanwhile, I continue to track Worldometer data. 7-day averages are trending down, but still tend to exceed numbers from a year ago.
    If they want to travel to most countries I expect that they will need to carry something similar. But of course they may not be people who are interested in o/s travel. Internally more and more companies, sports and industries are requiring vaccination or else no job or entry to the premises. There have already been a couple of court cases about so called discrimination but they have failed.

For Australia, as our borders slowly re-open, fully vaccinated Australians & permanent residents will be allowed to freely enter subject to a recent negative Covid test. The non vaccinated will be allowed entry but will be subject to a 14 day quarantine period, at their own expense, in an approved hotel or quarantine facility. Once non-residents are allowed to enter only those fully vaccinated will receive an entry visa. Non citizens/residents who are not vaccinated will not be allowed to enter Australia. One of the first 'high profile' people who appears likely to be affected is Novak Djokovic the 'controversial' tennis player.

The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

The US CDC has approved boosters for those aged 65 and older who were vaccinated more than 6 months ago, plus anyone vaccinated with J&J more than 2 months ago.

Boosters do not have to match your original vaccine.

I received J&J back in March, so I scheduled a booster appointment for Monday.

ETA: My local pharmacy (part of a chain) was on top of things, and their appointment system knew about these changes this morning.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

In different provinces you have to prove that you have been double vaccinated to do certain things. I had proof of the second shot but not the first. You can log in to service in New Brunswick to get proof based of your medicare number. Last night I checked and yes there was a record of my vaccinations but my printer was out of ink. So this moring I went to the library to get a printout but I needed proof of both vaccines and after a call to the higher ups in the library system they let me as long as I did show that had both shots and after 5 minutes on the computer I had the printout. After that athe auction I purchased a printer/scanner/fax combo for 5 bucks so if I can get to work I can some ink for either one of them so I don't have to go thru again.

Some good news. The CDC says that the transmission level of COVID in my home county has dropped back to “moderate” for the first time since the delta variant arrived.

Meanwhile, yesterday I received a Moderna booster for the J&J shot I got nearly 8 months ago. Studies indicate it should provide good protection.
    Eighteen hours in, the only side effect is a sore arm.

My son is dying to go to a hockey game. All he needs is his second shot. Apparently, the Air Force holds on to your card until you get both shots. He has the first one which is enough to go to a game, but can't go because he doesn't have the card.
    Solfe

Slightly related, the pharmacy held onto my card until the mandatory 15 minute wait for an allergic reaction passed. I’m sure this was to prevent my wandering off and collapsing in the parking lot.

Right now most of the province is under what is called a circuit breaker which as of tomorrow night the largest city in our zone is under the order, this is to bring down some of community spread of Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Slightly related, the pharmacy held onto my card until the mandatory 15 minute wait for an allergic reaction passed. I’m sure this was to prevent my wandering off and collapsing in the parking lot.
    Did you wander off/collapse in the parking lot?

In the days when our Occupational Health department was at the end of a very long corridor connected to the rest of the hospital, I used to be encouraged to wander off immediately after receiving a vaccination. They knew that I was returning to a department absolutely wall-to-wall full of people experienced in resuscitation and the management of anaphylaxis, whereas if I stayed in the Occupational Health department and collapsed, I'd be in the hands of a couple of people who had a strictly theoretical knowledge of what to do.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Did you wander off/collapse in the parking lot?
    No, I wanted my CDC card.
    They would only give it to me if I behaved and sat for 15 minutes in the “waiting chair”. Afterwards, I had no issues except a sore arm.

Interestingly, when I got both flu and covid booster shots last week they just said to wait a few and I told them I'd be out front picking up a prescription for my wife. That took a few minutes, I felt fine, and went home.
    But the lady in front of me was told to wait 15 minutes in the waiting room after just a flu shot. She must have said she'd had a previous problem.

Booster doses are now freely available for all persons in Australia who had their second vaccine dose at least 6 months previously. The one dose J&J vaccine was never used here. At present the only approved booster vaccine, unless there are medical reasons otherwise, is the Pfizer vaccine. It is anticipated that Moderna and Novovax will be added soon It is not expected that the AstraZeneca vaccine will normally be used as a booster.

Currently the 'first dose' vaccination rate nationally is around 87% for all persons 12 and over with the fully vaccinated rate around 72% for that same group. Even the laggard states, like my own, are at least around 73% first dose for those 12 and over. The most populous state, NSW, has now recorded a first dose rate of more than 90% for those 12 and over. Their fully vaccinated percentage is over 80%. The 12 - 15 age group was only allowed access to the vaccines in mid-September so their vaccination rate is still catching up to other age groups but is at around 68% first dose on a national basis.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Nov-03 at 04:08 AM.

Today, I'm going to figure out how to get Zane his shot.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I was due for a three-year followup colonoscopy last spring, but due to Covid I put it off. Now, six months later, the area is having the biggest outbreak ever. I went in yesterday for my pre-procedure consult anyhow. If you can't trust the doctors to be cautious, who can you trust.

Also, I continue to log worldometer data every day. 7-day average cases have at last fallen below the same from a year ago, although deaths, a trailing indicator, remain higher.

I initially started the log to verify my suspicion that data varied during the week due to less reporting on weekends. That's even more true now than it was then.

I initially started the log to verify my suspicion that data varied during the week due to less reporting on weekends. That's even more true now than it was then.
    In Scotland, there's a strong weekly rhythm that doesn't seem to relate to reporting delays--case numbers go down on Saturday and Sunday (reported Sun, Mon), but the test positivity goes up, which suggests there's actually something different about the population being tested on weekend days. I think what happens is that routine workplace and school testing drops out to a signficant extent at the weekends, leaving a core of people who are getting tested because they actually have symptoms (and are therefore more likely to test positive than those who are having precautionary asymptomatic testing). The more routine asymptomatic testing you do to limit workplace and school transmission, the stronger that sort of weekly rhythm becomes.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Related to this discussion, but squarely in the bugs me category, is how our local TV news will report a drop in COVID cases over the weekend, followed by the inevitable “It’s getting worse!” report mid week.

They’ve been doing this for months. You’d think they would have spotted the pattern.

I was due for a three-year followup colonoscopy last spring, but due to Covid I put it off. Now, six months later, the area is having the biggest outbreak ever. I went in yesterday for my pre-procedure consult anyhow. If you can't trust the doctors to be cautious, who can you trust.
    I had a colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago (I'm on a two year cycle). Ohio is still pretty high for Covid but slowly getting better. The only significant difference, other than everyone wearing masks, was that my wife couldn't wait in the waiting room for patients (she had to go out to the bigger "public" waiting room) and she couldn't stay with me in post-op. They gave her a call on her cell when I was ready, and took me out to her car to take me home. I don't recall them asking me about my vaccination status, but it is in my health records the hospital has access to.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I had a colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago (I'm on a two year cycle). Ohio is still pretty high for Covid but slowly getting better. The only significant difference, other than everyone wearing masks, was that my wife couldn't wait in the waiting room for patients (she had to go out to the bigger "public" waiting room) and she couldn't stay with me in post-op. They gave her a call on her cell when I was ready, and took me out to her car to take me home. I don't recall them asking me about my vaccination status, but it is in my health records the hospital has access to.
    That is a bit of a grip with us. It seems like records are not available, probably due to some privacy concern, even among a medical group, not in the same facility.

They certainly had my records -- the PA congratulated me on my weight loss and better blood sugar results.

I'm now scheduled for both the procedure and a covid test three days before.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    No argument there, but the current eat-in patronage at my local diner indicates many people have relaxed their isolation.
    We just came back from Florida to visit my FIL who is in a nursing home and which is still practicing full PPE measure for visitors inside the facility. If the patient can go outside then it's just masks and distance.

Everywhere else....Pandemic? What pandemic?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Everywhere else....Pandemic? What pandemic?
    That's a fair description of Idaho. Well, at least North Idaho. But cross the border into Spokane, Washington, BIG difference -- masks everywhere.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.