Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1635

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Interesting. It would be, in these parts. I don't think I've ever even heard of an "Easter dinner".
    We all have our longstanding family/cultural rituals and traditions. (Gets ready to belt out song from Fiddler On The Roof, thankfully changes mind)
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Some moron in my town went into the Food Co-op without a mask, refused to put one on, refused to leave, and got herself arrested. Not a hill I'd choose to die on!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yesterday, I actively told several people that they were going the wrong way down one-way aisles. They just apparently don't care, because it can't possibly be that after a year, they don't know.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Interesting. It would be, in these parts. I don't think I've ever even heard of an "Easter dinner".
    Of course, Easter slides by largely uncelebrated in these parts, apart from the hallowed reenactment of that key moment during the Resurrection, when small children ate chocolate until they vomited.

Grant Hutchison
    Which reminds me of the time my favorite priest, Fr. Burkhart, was explaining the history of Episcopal liturgy. "We include in the mass only those events which have been properly corroborated. Which is why we include the sharing of the wine and bread but leave out the part where Jesus leans back in his chair and says, "Okay, everyone who wants to be in the picture, on this side of the table.'"
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I've just done my morning spreadsheet update of USA covid data from Worldometer. Yesterday's reported new cases were the highest since since early March and the 7-day average has increased by about 14,000 since the middle of March. Pretty concerning. New reported deaths are still fairly low but I don't see how that can last.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Which reminds me of the time my favorite priest, Fr. Burkhart, was explaining the history of Episcopal liturgy. "We include in the mass only those events which have been properly corroborated. Which is why we include the sharing of the wine and bread but leave out the part where Jesus leans back in his chair and says, "Okay, everyone who wants to be in the picture, on this side of the table.'"
    My Wife The Professor had a Chinese PhD student, many years ago, who was very earnest about trying to understand Scottish culture.
    So after Easter she asked my wife why children rolled boiled eggs down hills on Easter Monday. My wife explained the symbolism associated with the rolling away of the stone from the entrance of Jesus' tomb.
    "Ah," said the student, and thought carefully for a few moments. Then: "But tell me, Professor, what then is association between giant rabbit and reincarnation of Jesus Christ?"

It's a stumper.

Grant Hutchison

The city in which I went to high school is still seeing declining cases. Their ICU was, last I heard, completely empty of Covid patients. My current county had been on its way up again, but we seem to be going back down. Apparently, approximately one fifth of Americans are now fully vaccinated. And naturally, the State of Florida is suing the CDC to be allowed to let cruises start up again.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The city in which I went to high school is still seeing declining cases. Their ICU was, last I heard, completely empty of Covid patients. My current county had been on its way up again, but we seem to be going back down. Apparently, approximately one fifth of Americans are now fully vaccinated. And naturally, the State of Florida is suing the CDC to be allowed to let cruises start up again.
    Money trumps public health, every time.

I was fortunate to get a Pfizer shot early, followed by the second one 3 weeks later, and that seems like a month or two ago. I had next to NO reaction from either of the shots. Mrs. Cougar got her second Moderna shot yesterday, and she is laid low today with chills and feverish and general lousy feeling. Her arm was sore for a few days after the first shot.....
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Mrs Extravoice received her second Pfizer shot late last week. Only side effect was a sore arm and extreme fatigue the next day.

She is very much looking forward to returning to a more “gatherer” mode of grocery shopping. For the last year, we have been in “hunter” mode. We go shopping every two weeks at 6 AM with itemized lists. In and out as quickly as possible.

One thing we learned during the pandemic is just how much we spend on food.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've just done my morning spreadsheet update of USA covid data from Worldometer. Yesterday's reported new cases were the highest since since early March and the 7-day average has increased by about 14,000 since the middle of March. Pretty concerning. New reported deaths are still fairly low but I don't see how that can last.
    I haven’t been tracking it as closely, but local cases are up substantially, despite a >20% “fully vaccinated” status. I wonder if the main driver is variants or idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I haven’t been tracking it as closely, but local cases are up substantially, despite a >20% “fully vaccinated” status. I wonder if the main driver is variants or idiots.
    I vote for the latter. Some of them in positions of power.

Tonight there were major protests in Montreal, people burning trash in trash cans and lighting up fire works to protest the curfew there because of the Pandemic.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I feel horrible for this lady at work. She sits "next to me" and she has the worst allergies. The moment the weather turned nice, she started wheezing. We had a day in the 70's and every flower they planted in front of the call center bloomed and they mowed the lawn. Her eyes turned red and the sneezing started. She's been covid tested and is now working from home. She is not happy about that one. Apparently the guy who sits in the next row got really sick and they though he exposed her. It turned out that was a false alarm. I happened to have the worst days off and dodged the whole thing.

We are all separated by two cubicles. They left the first cubicle in each row in my area empty and that offset allows for only 2 people per row. I thought it was a mistake, but it turns out it was done on purpose. Those workspaces are right near the front door and the workers placed there would complain about the cold, the breeze and the noise from the lobby. Apparently one of the managers figured out that you were 50% more likely to quit if you were placed in one of those seats, so they added that to the Covid protocol. "No one sits in the first row by the door."

All of this caused a second change. They used to clear out whole sections of the floor for new staff with their supervisors. They don't do that now, they simply fill in empty cubicles. They run weekly meetings via a web app, all trainings are done as a group in the app (once a week) and we have a chat window open to talk to our team mates all day long. It makes the whole call center work together instead of tiny supervisor based groups. It improves communication because the mixed groups support each other instead of ignoring each other. It's ingenious and works well.

I have a friend with the nickname "Keys" that works in a separate room all the way on the other side of the call center. One day, a chain of people stood up and made this gesture: Their index knuckle turning on their palm. My response was a palm swept over the fist. The chain went all the way back across the call center. (Edit - If you noticed, this is backwards from saying "hello". Keys signs "key" and I sign "fill" for "Phil". It should be the other way around. The oddities of non-verbal communication.)

One of the supervisors asked "What the heck is that?" I told them the twisting knuckle was sign language for "Key" and the swept palm meant "Fill". We're saying "hi" to each other using a human chain all the way across the call center. They thought that was cute because our call center also handles all of the accessibility consumer calls.

I do like this place, they do seem to have safety and comfort down even if they are a tad paranoid.
    Solfe

The 'blood clotting' problems with the AstraZeneca vaccine has put a big damper on the vaccination programme in Australia. A couple of instances have already occurred and, like many countries, an age limit has been put on its use - generally now only to be administered to those over 50. This will probably delay the completion of vaccinations by about 6 months until early 2022.

This had been caused by the problems of obtaining the, ordered months ago, Pfizer vaccine from overseas sources, primarily the EU. We have received only about 1 Million of the 4 Million doses that were supposed to have been delivered by now and an increase in supplies seems unlikely in the short term. This shortfall was going to be covered by the use of locally produced AstraZeneca vaccine which is now in full production. With the age limit imposed then the need for a different vaccine has become obvious. More Pfizer vaccine has been ordered but it is unlikely to be delivered until late in the year. The Novovax vaccine is also on order but again supply is not likely until months from now. Use of the 'one shot' Johnson & Johnson vaccine has been rejected as there are strong indication that it is causing the same 'blood clotting' problems as AstraZeneca. so it would be subject to the same age criteria. Supply is also restricted.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...tion/100065184

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/wh...as-been-linked

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    The 'blood clotting' problems with the AstraZeneca vaccine has put a big damper on the vaccination programme in Australia. A couple of instances have already occurred and, like many countries, an age limit has been put on its use - generally now only to be administered to those over 50. This will probably delay the completion of vaccinations by about 6 months until early 2022.

This had been caused by the problems of obtaining the, ordered months ago, Pfizer vaccine from overseas sources, primarily the EU. We have received only about 1 Million of the 4 Million doses that were supposed to have been delivered by now and an increase in supplies seems unlikely in the short term. This shortfall was going to be covered by the use of locally produced AstraZeneca vaccine which is now in full production. With the age limit imposed then the need for a different vaccine has become obvious. More Pfizer vaccine has been ordered but it is unlikely to be delivered until late in the year. The Novovax vaccine is also on order but again supply is not likely until months from now. Use of the 'one shot' Johnson & Johnson vaccine has been rejected as there are strong indication that it is causing the same 'blood clotting' problems as AstraZeneca. so it would be subject to the same age criteria. Supply is also restricted.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...tion/100065184

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/wh...as-been-linked
    It must be a difficult public health decision. I read that about one per thousand population per year fatalities is normal and after vaccination it is about one per hundred thousand. That does sound like in a century of life the rate is what you would expect. It sounds to me like a basic panic reaction knowing that people do not realise the normal risk, so it seems a media correlation without context. I can see that even a slight risk is worrying for healthy young people individually but not epidemiologically. There are risks from having unvaccinated populations too.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    It must be a difficult public health decision. I read that about one per thousand population per year fatalities is normal and after vaccination it is about one per hundred thousand. That does sound like in a century of life the rate is what you would expect. It sounds to me like a basic panic reaction knowing that people do not realise the normal risk, so it seems a media correlation without context. I can see that even a slight risk is worrying for healthy young people individually but not epidemiologically. There are risks from having unvaccinated populations too.
    The argument is that the risk of a death from the reaction in a person under 50 is currently greater than their risk of death from Covid in Australia. In total there has only been 5 deaths here in people aged under 50 from Covid since the start of the pandemic. Since the middle of October 2020 there have only been 3 Covid deaths in Australia, including 2 persons who contracted the disease overseas. I see that the US is now pausing the use of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

The full explanation for this approach is at -

https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi...afety-concerns

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    The personal risk calculation for people over 30 in the UK is currently a no-brainer--you're more likely to come to harm from Covid than from an AstraZeneca vaccination. See, for instance, this infographic from the Winton Centre for Risk and Evidence Communication.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    The personal risk calculation for people over 30 in the UK is currently a no-brainer--you're more likely to come to harm from Covid than from an AstraZeneca vaccination. See, for instance, this infographic from the Winton Centre for Risk and Evidence Communication.

Grant Hutchison
    Yea I meant that while the media panics, the authorities should keep a clear head, keep pushing the vaccines, and counter the wrong statistics with proper explanation.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Grant Hutchison
    That Winton infographic is obviously well respected. It was quoted, and linked, in the "Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation" recommendations to the Australian Govt. about the advice to, generally, restrict the use of AstraZeneca to the over 50's that I linked in my last post.

Watching Dr. Fauci talk about the J&J vaccine; it must be nice to him to have the freedom to call anything a crazy conspiracy theory.

"You can't erase icing."

My neighbors across the street have a big “Happy Birthday” banner on their house, and the street is full of parked cars from celebrants.

Given the vaccination rate in our area, I’d bet my salary that most celebrants are not fully vaccinated.

Oh yeah... There is a woman standing on the front porch. She is coughing.

In just a few more hours, I get my second shot. Probably I'm going to unfriend someone in just a few minutes for vaccine denialism edging into full-blown Covid denialism.

"You can't erase icing."

As of Friday I am 2 weeks past my last Pfizer shot.

So maybe if things go well, this summer I can visit my father in Florida.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Still another week for the second shot for me.

I'm going to celebrate by coughing all over everyone.
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?

We are nine weeks past our second shot. I guess I need to schedule my annual booster?

Seems global deaths will rise in greater numbers this year.

It has evolved in Brazil there are also India mutations, Global coronavirus deaths just topped 3 million, led by surges in India and Brazil. India has a double mutant coronavirus variant, France to impose 10-day quarantine on Brazil arrivals.

US setting up $1.7B national network to track virus variants
    https://apnews.com/article/1-billion...edb6bb764715f0

On a kind of un-related topic on the 'UAP' thing we've seen in the news
    https://nypost.com/2020/12/29/covid-...o-disclosures/
    'COVID-19 bill started a 180-day countdown for UFO disclosures'

How worried should you be about coronavirus variants? A virologist explains his concerns | Opinion
    https://www.pennlive.com/opinion/202...s-opinion.html

This year will be worse than last year, Corona wreaks havoc in India
    https://english.newstracklive.com/ne...1155610-1.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...-toll-nears-3m

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-v...114712651.html

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/cases-doub...095122977.html

https://news.yahoo.com/canada-second...225319621.html

Canada has second case of rare blood clots after the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine

Cases of the Indian variant of Covid-19 have been detected in London, the British newspaper called Evening Standard has been told

Brazil reports 67,636 new coronavirus cases, 2,929 deaths in 24 hours

The coronavirus variant first found in Brazil is developing worrying new mutations that could make vaccines less effective, experts say

Also on a Space related topic French Guyana the launch site for Europe in South America has closed the border to Brazil and set up border patrols
    https://www.stabroeknews.com/2021/04...covid-variant/

[ The Regional Chairman ] Allicock disclosed that illegal travelling between the two countries is still a major issue in the region. He revealed that Guyanese and also Venezuelan migrants living in the Rupununi continue to travel back and forth between the two countries, despite being warned not to do so numerous times because of the prevailing COVID-19 pandemic.

Allicock added that with many refusing to heed the warning, only recently an imported COVID-19 case from Brazil was recorded. He disclosed that the patient, who has relatives living in Brazil, had been travelling back and forth between Guyana and Brazil. He recently fell ill and tested positive for COVID-19. However, the persons who were in contact with the patient did not test positive.
    Allicock added that regional officials are very concerned about the Brazilian COVID-19 variant and the possibility of it being brought over
    Last edited by Launch window; 2021-Apr-18 at 04:57 PM.

Well, my arm hurts. And I was tired yesterday, but who can tell if that's the shot?

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Well, my arm hurts. And I was tired yesterday, but who can tell if that's the shot?
    My shot was such a non-event, the woman administering it said, "boop!" as she stuck me. My arm was sore not the same day, but the next.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My shot was such a non-event, the woman administering it said, "boop!" as she stuck me. My arm was sore not the same day, but the next.
    Go my second dose this morning. Nurse said I have tough skin (nurse who did the first dose three weeks ago didn't mention it).

My arm is really sore tonight, but I don't know how much of that is the shot, how much my previous injury, and how much the manual labor I did today...
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn