Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Sneezing isn't a recognized symptom of Covid-19, is it?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Is that a joke? There are many causes of a sneeze and one is being infected.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Generally, if you're sneezing it's unlikely to be caused by Covid. CDC infographic here. See also the table from the Australian government here. Epidemiology in 1700 Covid patients with no reported sneezing here.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Have others here had a bit of hypochondria this year? For me, it’s not that extreme, but for instance, fairly recently soon after a supply run, I started sneezing often enough to notice and had a couple annoying headaches in a short period. Thing is, neither of those are exactly unknown events for me, and I suspected it was most likely due to a weather change (for sneezing) and not getting enough sleep one or two nights (for headaches), but it was hard not to feel a bit concerned. Earlier this year, I started getting a runny nose and headache, and started to get really concerned, then remembered I had used a leaf blower the day before near a tree that dropped a lot of small stuff around. Again, though, I felt a small amount of anxiety until it fully faded out (which took two or three days, and I did take some antihistamines). I’ve had another couple situations like that.

Normally, I just wouldn’t get concerned by a stuffy, runny nose or a bout of sneezing, but I am this year, even if I can mostly put a lid on the concern. I wonder how common that is, and how it is affecting people who are hypochondriacs under normal conditions?
    Yes, me too. And I extend that to my wife - every time she coughs, I start worrying about her.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

No, it most certainly wasn’t a joke. Did it look like I was joking? And I thought I made clear that I know there are other causes for sneezing and headaches, they aren’t terribly uncommon for me and I wasn’t *that* concerned. The entire point of the post is that things that wouldn’t normally concern me at all raise questions now and I’m curious how common that kind of reaction is for others during the pandemic.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Generally, if you're sneezing it's unlikely to be caused by Covid. CDC infographic here. See also the table from the Australian government here. Epidemiology in 1700 Covid patients with no reported sneezing here.

Grant Hutchison
    My experience, with getting covid, is one day, I did have sneezing.
    The moment an instant lasted forever, we were destined for the leading edge of eternity.

Thanks, that’s good to know. I did read the common symptom lists months ago, but I didn’t realize sneezing was considered that unlikely to be a symptom.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Yes, me too. And I extend that to my wife - every time she coughs, I start worrying about her.
    Yes, I expect it will be like that for me until vaccination time - not a major worry but an ongoing concern. I have managed to avoid it so far, (unless I had it with no or minimal symptoms) now the infection rate is the highest ever, and I’m going to be annoyed if I still manage to get it after avoiding it this long.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Grant Hutchison
    It did not prevent me from getting the evil eye the other day when I sneezed, even mask-clad as I was (and as is legally required here).

I'd print out the study so I could give it to surrounding people next time, except that they run away really, really fast.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Thanks, that’s good to know. I did read the common symptom lists months ago, but I didn’t realize sneezing was considered that unlikely to be a symptom.
    I don't want to feed anyone's hypochondria (or hypochondria-by-proxy), but the big data from the King's College COVID Symptom Study app has crunched down into six symptom clusters associated with Covid
    1 (‘flu-like’ with no fever): Headache, loss of smell, muscle pains, cough, sore throat, chest pain, no fever.
    2 (‘flu-like’ with fever): Headache, loss of smell, cough, sore throat, hoarseness, fever, loss of appetite.
    3 (gastrointestinal): Headache, loss of smell, loss of appetite, diarrhea, sore throat, chest pain, no cough.
    4 (severe level one, fatigue): Headache, loss of smell, cough, fever, hoarseness, chest pain, fatigue.
    5 (severe level two, confusion): Headache, loss of smell, loss of appetite, cough, fever, hoarseness, sore throat, chest pain, fatigue, confusion, muscle pain.
    6 (severe level three, abdominal and respiratory): Headache, loss of smell, loss of appetite, cough, fever, hoarseness, sore throat, chest pain, fatigue, confusion, muscle pain, shortness of breath, diarrhea, abdominal pain.
    Interestingly, they also have records of a rash in 8% of cases. But sneezing is notably absent.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    No, it most certainly wasn’t a joke. Did it look like I was joking? And I thought I made clear that I know there are other causes for sneezing and headaches, they aren’t terribly uncommon for me and I wasn’t *that* concerned. The entire point of the post is that things that wouldn’t normally concern me at all raise questions now and I’m curious how common that kind of reaction is for others during the pandemic.
    I was replying to Noclevername, I did not see your post on the previous page.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I was replying to Noclevername, I did not see your post on the previous page.
    No joke, as the above replies confirm, sneezing is not Covid related.

I have managed to avoid it so far, (unless I had it with no or minimal symptoms) now the infection rate is the highest ever, and I’m going to be annoyed if I still manage to get it after avoiding it this long.
    That was what I told my best friend when she got tested recently. Yes, I'd be scared and concerned and so forth if I got it, but I'd also be mad. Because I feel like we're so close to the end, and I've kept safe for all this time!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

My sister said she needs a T-shirt that says "Relax, it's just allergies".

Has anyone here been vaccinated? I'm in a low-priority category so my turn is likely many months away.
    “Of all the sciences cultivated by mankind, Astronomy is acknowledged to be, and undoubtedly is, the most sublime, the most interesting, and the most useful. For, by knowledge derived from this science, not only the bulk of the Earth is discovered, but our very faculties are enlarged with the grandeur of the ideas it conveys, our minds exalted above their low contracted prejudices.” - James Ferguson

The COVID-19 Discussion Thread (OTB)

Based on the Georgia department of Health website my wife and I are in group 1-B; 65 and older with comorbidities. So maybe March for us, at the earliest, or even April.

Here’s the 65-page rollout plan. Your state will no doubt be different, but probably similar.

https://dph.georgia.gov/document/doc...-plan/download

One thing about sneezing: it isn’t COVID related, but an infected person could still sneeze for other reasons, say allergies, and spread the virus that way.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    One thing about sneezing: it isn’t COVID related, but an infected person could still sneeze for other reasons, say allergies, and spread the virus that way.
    True. I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. But the subject started with a mention of hypochondria about having Covid, due in part to excessive sneezing.

I think I remember sneezing before getting any kind of sickness. Hard to say if I am all that accurate. Go-go hypochondria mode!
    Solfe

The logic of people is simply amazing. Many people ignore the mask regime, wear masks as they please, just not as it should be according to sanitary standards, but at the same time they look for the root of the problem in people who sneeze or cough. But in order to reduce the chance of getting an infectious dose of the virus, it is enough to observe the mask regime and a distance of 1.5 meters. How many adhere to these recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Burton View Post
    The logic of people is simply amazing. Many people ignore the mask regime, wear masks as they please, just not as it should be according to sanitary standards, but at the same time they look for the root of the problem in people who sneeze or cough. But in order to reduce the chance of getting an infectious dose of the virus, it is enough to observe the mask regime and a distance of 1.5 meters. How many adhere to these recommendations?
    I honestly doubt logic enters into the thinking process of many such individuals. Too many people have reacted to an avalanche of chaotic events by becoming creatures of pure id, lashing out irrationally. Mask wearing becomes a symbol of their frustration, not a basic safety measure.

I was just hearing there is now testing going on in California to see if we have the fast spreading COVID-19 variant. On one hand, that seemed an obvious possibility to me, since I thought this state was taking it pretty seriously from the start, then “Boom!” goes an explosion of cases. On the other hand, wouldn’t it be possible to pretty quickly confirm or reject that it’s common enough here to substantially increase number of cases? I would have thought that would have already been tested for.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I was just hearing there is now testing going on in California to see if we have the fast spreading COVID-19 variant. On one hand, that seemed an obvious possibility to me, since I thought this state was taking it pretty seriously from the start, then “Boom!” goes an explosion of cases. On the other hand, wouldn’t it be possible to pretty quickly confirm or reject that it’s common enough here to substantially increase number of cases? I would have thought that would have already been tested for.
    It's a new strain. How could we have already been testing for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It's a new strain. How could we have already been testing for it?
    I wasn’t clear enough - they were talking about whether the known UK variant got here. I suppose a novel variant would be harder to test for, but I suspect viral differences would be noticed.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I wasn’t clear enough - they were talking about whether the known UK variant got here. I suppose a novel variant would be harder to test for, but I suspect viral differences would be noticed.
    They only discovered the UK strain existed a short while ago. So I suspect designing and disseminating a mass testing procedure to differentiate it would take some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    They only discovered the UK strain existed a short while ago. So I suspect designing and disseminating a mass testing procedure to differentiate it would take some time.
    No, that’s established. A case was found in Colorado and it appears to be from community spread:

https://apnews.com/article/public-he...f34f625d6a37f8

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Oops, bad post.

Having the tests available in Colorado doesn't mean having the tests available in California. Maybe Cali only recently got that capacity.

I’d be very curious why they wouldn’t. California has a lot of state and private labs. I’m not sure, but I think more than any other state, simply because of population and size of the economy.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It's called genomic surveillance. You take samples that have tested positive for Covid (by picking up short sequences of SARS-CoV-2 RNA that are "preserved"--that is, tend not to vary from strain to strain) and then sequence the entire genome. That requires some infrastructure, either in terms of getting samples to the sequencer quickly, or storing sample at a temperature that prevents the RNA degrading, so you can sequence later.
    The UK has been routinely sequencing about 10% of all positive Covid samples, which is far more than most places. (Denmark, I think, manages 20%, but with a tenth of the population.) Once the UK identified a new genome spreading rapidly, other countries have started targeting areas with rapid spread, or taking snapshots from their stored samples. Germany discovered the same genome in a stored sample dating from November; California, I imagine, is targeting areas with the most rapid growth in case numbers.

So this is about what people are routinely doing, versus what they can do, in a targeted way, when a new problem arises.

Grant Hutchison